What will help DCI become more entertaining

I swear to ya that I was actually entertained by the Blue Devils DaDa show while drunk; and a guy sitting in front of me who was high said he was not only entertained but he actually 'understood' their performance.

And the best part was probably that you both agreed with one another while in that heightened state of " mutual understanding and enraptured Nirvana ", Stu.

Edited by BRASSO

In that case, we should look at WGI since they sold out this season BEFORE the week even began! WGI, for whatever reason (hint: mostly because they have a strong root in the scholastic world, which DCI could not really emulate because of the expense of start-up costs) has no problems selling out, and programatically seems pretty popular by your logic of

no offense, UD Arena only holds about 1/3 of what LOS could

And maybe that's a legitimate concern: perhaps DCI Finals should be held in smaller venues in order to reduce operational costs and play to more full stands. WGI tickets are also a LOT cheaper than DCI tickets, and WGI merchandise seems a lot cheaper than DCI merchandise (at least the DVD's). And you know why costs in WGI are less? Because they have a LOT more fans clamoring for tickets & products.

My point is, perhaps it's not the WGI product that is to be blamed for DCI not having large crowds. I think we both know, Jeff, that the perceived 'problem' of trying to gain more attendance to DCI events is FAR more than just WGI design influence.

oh I agree. if WGI has any influence, it's that visual has become the number one critical factor to success outside. To the point where music has become secondary, regardless of the numerical breakdown on the sheets

oh I agree. if WGI has any influence, it's that visual has become the number one critical factor to success outside. To the point where music has become secondary, regardless of the numerical breakdown on the sheets

Very well said. The longer the WGI guard stranglehold exists, the less crowd favorite shows will win, the less influence music will have which is backwards from what it should be.

• Like 1

Very well said. The longer the WGI guard stranglehold exists, the less crowd favorite shows will win, the less influence music will have which is backwards from what it should be.

I don't throw all the blame on WGI however. I also cast fingers in the direction of the music side which has allowed it to happen

I don't throw all the blame on WGI however. I also cast fingers in the direction of the music side which has allowed it to happen

Agreed. It is only possible because the directors and judge administration made it possible.

How does the music not count as much as it should???

2012, the winner was 1st or second in all captions.

2011, the winner was 1st in all effect sheets, 2nd in visual (inc guard) and 1st in total music perf (3rd percussion).

2010, the 1st place corps was 4th in percussion perf, but still 1st in overall music performance.

2009, the 1st place corps was 2nd in total music perf, 1st in music effect.

2008, the winner, PR, was 3rd in overall visual, and 4th in guard and vis ensemble.

2007, the winner was 1st in all music captions...yet 3rd in guard.

2006, the winning Cavies were 4th in perc, but still 2nd in overall Music Performance.

2005, the winner was 1st across the board...inc music captions.

• Like 4

2011, the winner was 1st in all effect sheets, 2nd in visual (inc guard) and 1st in total music perf (3rd percussion).

2010, the 1st place corps was 4th in percussion perf, but still 1st in overall music performance.

2008, the winner, PR, was 3rd in overall visual, and 4th in guard and vis ensemble.

2006, the winning Cavies were 4th in perc, but still 2nd in overall Music Performance.

Listen to some of the Music GE tapes posted around the web. You will find most to be about 75% visual more than 1/2 of that guard. Percussion and music talk about visual demands constantly.

• Like 4

Listen to some of the Music GE tapes posted around the web. You will find most to be about 75% visual more than 1/2 of that guard. Percussion and music talk about visual demands constantly.

I would love to hear multiple examples of MUSIC GE tapes that reference color guards a large portion of the time; can you please post links to them

Edited by perc2100
  • Like 1

Exactly: if nothing else recent history has kinda proven that to win DCI Championships a corps has to be well-balanced - high achieving in visual AND music.

• Like 2