What will help DCI become more entertaining

Daytons a lot smaller than the buildings big drum corps shows play to

And maybe that's a legitimate concern: perhaps DCI Finals should be held in smaller venues in order to reduce operational costs and play to more full stands. WGI tickets are also a LOT cheaper than DCI tickets, and WGI merchandise seems a lot cheaper than DCI merchandise (at least the DVD's). And you know why costs in WGI are less? Because they have a LOT more fans clamoring for tickets & products.

My point is, perhaps it's not the WGI product that is to be blamed for DCI not having large crowds. I think we both know, Jeff, that the perceived 'problem' of trying to gain more attendance to DCI events is FAR more than just WGI design influence.

Edited by perc2100

And maybe that's a legitimate concern: perhaps DCI Finals should be held in smaller venues in order to reduce operational costs and play to more full stands. WGI tickets are also a LOT cheaper than DCI tickets, and WGI merchandise seems a lot cheaper than DCI merchandise (at least the DVD's). And you know why costs in WGI are less? Because they have a LOT more fans clamoring for tickets & products.

You probably want to change this analogy because the two don't go together. Greater demand causes higher prices, not lower.

If you'd said that WGI had greater profits because of clamoring demand for tickets and products, it would make sense. Or lower costs because of smaller venues, it would also make sense.

But your two sentences together are oil and water.

My point is, perhaps it's not the WGI product that is to be blamed for DCI not having large crowds. I think we both know, Jeff, that the perceived 'problem' of trying to gain more attendance to DCI events is FAR more than just WGI design influence.

Sorry to ruin your story with facts;

U of D has limited seating comparably and of course it is only 1 side and part of endzones

By thier own information more than 70% of the spectators are performers from other classes. Not full paying customers.

The non staff performer attendance has been in constant decline.

DCI does not have 250 groups that can either attend finals or go to one of the many attractions in Dayton ( I know of one the Air Force Museum that does not change much from year to year)

Lessen the WGI influence in judging and shows in Summer will create more shows that the non staff fans will enjoy, less unpopular champions and more variety.

BTW having DCI in Indy constantly I believe is a bad move because of the limited non drum corps attractions makes it less likely people will return year after year. A rotation makes much more sense and means those unable to afford cross country travel every year to have a shorter trip on occasion.

• Like 3

Did I mention.....more Chuck Naffier arrangements !

I'll give you a green every time for that suggestion! :thumbup:

• Like 1

Do we have numbers that prove WGI outsells DCI? Also does WGI have the equivalent of Big, Live, and Loud? Due to the time of year, there are fewer WGI shows I'm not sure there is an actual comparison that can be made that WGI is more successful than DCI.

I do think DCI is better off using college stadiums for finals, and in 2005 I recall hearing some say that Boston College's Alumni Stadium would have been a better venue than Gillette, not due to conveniences. Gillette is a state of the art facility, but BC would have had more of a drum corps feel. For me, atmosphere is important which is why I love the shows I attend in the Boston area (they're like family reunions) and I enjoy DCI East partly because the seats are filled both nights with hardcore fans. Perhaps other shows are the same, but I know that East Rutherford has had great corps compete, but it lacks intimacy.

After careful consideration of the original question, I've come up with an idea.

Have all the shows in Racine, Wisconsin. All of them.

Except for Allentown.

Then, allow beer.

I will be entertained.

Now back to our regularly scheduled intentional misrepresentations.

your friend,

Chuck Naffier

• Like 2

After careful consideration of the original question, I've come up with an idea.

Have all the shows in Racine, Wisconsin.

Then, allow beer.

I'm not so sure that marchers consuming beer would improve things, although I suppose it might make them feel better. We've tried this before in earlier decades with Senior Corps, and the consumption of alcohol before shows led to some burbs in performance on some occasions on the part of the individual that thought that they'd be emboldened.

Edited by BRASSO

Have all the shows in Racine, Wisconsin. All of them.

Except for Allentown.

Then, allow beer.

I will be entertained.

Now back to our regularly scheduled intentional misrepresentations.

your friend,

Chuck Naffier

I'm not so sure that marchers consuming beer would improve things, although I suppose it might make them feel better. We've tried this before in earlier decades with Senior Corps, and the consumption of alcohol before shows led to some burbs in performance on some occasions on the part of the individual that was alcohol infused.

Not the 'players' with beer but the audience, and I am all in. I swear to ya that I was actually entertained by the Blue Devils DaDa show while drunk; and a guy sitting in front of me who was high said he was not only entertained but he actually 'understood' their performance.

• Like 4