What will help DCI become more entertaining

When a local concert band attired in white short sleeves, black pants, black dress shoes, at a summer outdoor band concert plays ( for example ), Jean Sibelius composition of " Finlandia ", are you concerned that the musicians were not dressed properly for the musical piece ? Or, when the ( for another example ) Univ. Texas Longhorn Band in their white cowboy hats plays a theme show on music from the rock band " The Who ", do you focus on the uniforms of the band not fitting the theme and/ or music ? And when a Symphony Orchestra that is dressed in modern tuxedos, bowties, and tails, women musicians in formal dress attire, etc and a Conductor dressed in same, plays music from Gounod's " Faust " or Symphony #36 from Mozart from the 1700's, or plays music from the musical " Oklahoma " do you find the musicians and conductor on stage not dressed appropriately in concert with the history timeline of the piece or matching the music played itself ? Just curious, thats all.

The difference to me is that drum corps is a music and visual activity. The above are not. Us fans accept the unis, because it is what we grew up with and know, but the idea of expanding the audience beyond us marching/music geeks would require a very different look, IMO. Cirque de Soleil completely changed the look and sound of a circus, even as they perform many of the types of acts circuses (circii??? :tongue: ) have been doing forever...and they expanded their audience far beyond the traditional circus-goer, as one example.

• Like 1

Different crowds today. You have a snob element today (that has taken over the majority I think) that cannot appreciate anything but perfection and won't sit through something less than a top 6 performance. Just read the threads here on DCP. As a parent now, I cannot fathom why some would not support younger corps despite them not having 150 members or being as "good" as the older bigger corps. I think it's simply great that they are out there learning and putting something on the field that is expanding their skills. I know that I probably sound like an old dino in this respect, but I enjoy watching the smaller "younger" corps perform.

I can understand that. I spent two years in a top-level Open Class corps, and no one came to watch us perform either, except at Michigan City and Finals. I'm one of those people though that shows up for the National Anthem and sits around until the last DMs leave the field. I know how hard the kids work, and they deserve all of our support. The people not supporting the smaller corps though I think is why we're seeing some of the streamlining of show designs, because people want to get better so they can perform in front of the big crowds. At least that's my though. I'm sure some will disagree.

As a parent now, I cannot fathom why some would not support younger corps despite them not having 150 members or being as "good" as the older bigger corps.

Because absent some connection to that corps (like being a parent), the product is objectively mediocre. It's great that they are out there doing what they can, but I don't think anyone could with a straight face argue that to a disinterested party the OC product is as interesting or marketable as is the top tier WC product.

Cirque de Soleil completely changed the look and sound of a circus, even as they perform many of the types of acts circuses

No they didn't. Cirque de Soleil simply offered THEIR particular version of " a Circus". While their particular version of circus has done well, the largest attendance of people worldwide... by far... in the last 3 years, has been those audiences that attend the traditional form of " Circus " that essentially has remained unchanged for over 100 years. National and International audience attendance of the traditional " Circus " has not been negatively effected at all since this well done Cirque de Soleil " Circus " has preformed their particular version of " a Circus ". I've attended performances of both Cirque de Soleil as well as tradional Circuses and have enjoyed both versions of " Circus ". I did not observe the Cirque de Soleil has having "completely changed the look and sound of Circus " at all with the other Circuses in their performances.

Edited by BRASSO

Not the 'players' with beer but the audience, and I am all in. I swear to ya that I was actually entertained by the Blue Devils DaDa show while drunk; and a guy sitting in front of me who was high said he was not only entertained but he actually 'understood' their performance.

With the passage of Amendment 64, the Drums Along the Rockies audience may become increasingly receptive to obscure content, dude.

Edited by denverjohn

Us fans accept the unis, because it is what we grew up with and know, but the idea of expanding the audience beyond us marching/music geeks would require a very different look, IMO.

MikeD

Well MikeD, since you are an alum of The Cadets, and to follow your request, ( and logic ) here above, can we conclude that you would thus be in favor of The Cadets abandoning their Cadet style uniforms that has been essentially unchanged for approx. 75 years and opt instead now for a Cirque de Soleil Circus style costuming for the Corps proper for your Cadets ?

Edited by BRASSO
  • Like 1

No they didn't. Cirque de Soleil simply offered THEIR particular version of " a Circus". While their particular version of circus has done well, the largest attendance of people worldwide... by far... in the last 3 years, has been those audiences that attend the traditional form of " Circus " that essentially has remained unchanged for over 100 years. National and International audience attendance of the traditional " Circus " has not been negatively effected at all since this well done Cirque de Soleil " Circus " has preformed their particular version of " a Circus ". I've attended performances of both Cirque de Soleil as well as tradional Circuses and have enjoyed both versions of " Circus ". I did not observe the Cirque de Soleil has having "completely changed the look and sound of Circus " at all with the other Circuses in their performances.

The most certainly did change the look and sound of the circus in what they did. People who would never attend a circus in the traditional sense flock to Cirque performances. I didn't say that what Cirque did changed any other circuses, like B&B, for instance.

I am curious as to your information on attendance around the world...care to post a link?

I ask because one link I see, from an online journal of circuses in the US, says this:

"I don’t know how many circuses there are in America. I have no idea what the annual attendance numbers are for all these unaccounted for circuses."

Circus journal

BTW...in the same journal, the editor says this about changes in circuses..

"Since I began publishing Spectacle magazine, first in a print format now in digital, I have watched the circus change in ways that the American circus I described in my book The New American Circus in 1995, would be almost unrecognizable."

Us fans accept the unis, because it is what we grew up with and know, but the idea of expanding the audience beyond us marching/music geeks would require a very different look, IMO.

MikeD

Well MikeD, since you are an alum of The Cadets, and to follow your request, ( and logic ) here above, can we conclude that you would thus be in favor of The Cadets abandoning their Cadet style uniforms that has been essentially unchanged for approx. 75 years and opt instead now for a Cirque de Soleil Circus style costuming for the Corps proper for your Cadets ?

Sure. Wouldn't bother me if they chose to go to show-specific costuming to broaden their entertainment appeal. They would still be The Cadets organization. Would I miss the traditional uniform? Sure. But if that was part of what it would take to ensure their continued existence, and to reach a new and larger audience, why not?

The snobs & prancers hijacked the Drum Corp activity many years ago, & the activity has been going downhill & getting closer & closer to extinction ever since. This activity must get back to its roots in order to have a chance to continue to exist. This means having Drum Corp that have different styles & play music that is accessible that the fans recognize, like, Jazz, Spanish, Mexican, Scottish, British, etc... It should be all about the music, not the drill, visual, or color guard. The influence of guard people & prancers has hurt the activity. There aren't many Drum Corp who look "cool" or "tough" anymore. This hurts Drum & Horn recruitment. Drum Corps should be all about the music. Drum Corps must get back to recruiting local members, so that the cost of getting to practice & camps is minimal. Local membership is good for the community as well.

What the Drum Corp activity has been doing isn't working. DCI must make changes or become extinct.

Edited by FlamMan

If one can't smell the elephant $hlt; it's not a circus. :w00t:/>