What will help DCI become more entertaining

I think anyone watching that brings in revenue to DCI is the best barometer, if you want to use champs.

The best barometer is season attendance at all DCI events, if evaluating the health of the activity around the country is the goal...IMO of course.

I think the health of the activity is only partially determined by overall live attendance. I think we could best judge it by such factors that also include things such as profits after costs incurred, growth in the number of participants that march, exposure of the activity to non Drum Corps venues and audiences, merchandise sales increases, increase in Corporate Sponsorships, and so forth.

Edited by BRASSO

Hope you guys are enjoying yourselves.

For "me", reading this thread is like passing a kidney stone.

Please Lord, let the season start......

• Like 1

The passing of the kidney stone is a relief... the travels of the kidney stone is as enjoyable as reading Drum Corps camp press releases.

Yes. June can't come fast enough.

And I would have replied; "However, we are not talking about the technical but the shear communication!! And judges have a much higher knowledge about the intricacies of each show than the general audience due to closely interacting with corps design staff throughout the season; and due to that very close staff/judge communication the judges can see, hear, and understand the nuances which completely escape the general audience. Want an example? The judges were 'well versed' on the Cabaret Voltaire show concept by the Devils staff feeding them with historical data and design nuance information; yet the overwhelming majority of the paying audience forked out big bucks to one show without any knowledge at all of the avant-garde Dada movement let alone the significance of the Switzerland venue, and therefore most in the audience, even at Finals, sat there going, 'huh? what? I do not get it.' while the judges understood each and every nuance."

his point was if you truly communicate, you'll be rewarded more....with the technical thrown in there.

I think the health of the activity is only partially determined by overall live attendance. I think we could best judge it by such factors that also include things such as profits after costs incurred, growth in the number of participants that march, exposure of the activity to non Drum Corps venues and audiences, merchandise sales increases, increase in Corporate Sponsorships, and so forth.

Some of those i agree with. The more valid things to look at the better the picture, of course.

his point was if you truly communicate, you'll be rewarded more....with the technical thrown in there.

And my point is that in the modern show design the 'communication' to the judges by the design staff (via direct written explanations, vocal explanations,...) is vastly different, and way more intricate and in depth, than just the one-shot music/visual-only communication to the audience (via music, drill, and props). Therefore, the judges have a huge advantage of seeing, hearing, and most importantly understanding the show concept designs. Do you remember the libretto (i.e. communication) the Regiment staff was forced to hand out to the audience for the original Spartacus show back in the eighties? We are now at a point where to understand the modern show concepts the judges now have to be presented with such materials; and it would take more than just a libretto (more like an entire book) to educate the audience!!! And because the explanation (communication) material today is presented just to the judges not to the audience that is a major reason why many judges 'get' the shows but the audiences do not!! Moreover, reading a libretto at a drum corps show of all places was bad enough; imagine today if all of the show concepts were explained (i.e. communicated) to the audience the way the design staff are having to explain them to the judges (music appreciation and history classes with books and books of written explanations sitting in the stands at a drum corps show; yuck!!!!)

• Like 1

My question is: Who are the "WGI Mafia" that is allegedly turning DCI into WGI? Based on this one show there seems to be an influence, but not enough by itself to explain the 'inaccessible' BD's win. And even that influence is only if Rich Kemp and Mike Stone started as WGI people and then invaded DCI. (Quote)

I wanted to confirm the question about if people were WGI and which they were first. My sourse is several WGI staff as well as DCI staff.

Mr. Kemp, Mr. Stone, Mr Carlson and Ms Torshia have been WGI judges and started as WGI judges. Torshia and Carlson have been former caption facilitators for WGI. Interesting side note I am told Ms Torshia taught a guard with Jay Murphy for several years. Mr Orefice has not been a WGI judge. I am sure it is coicidence that he is the only visual person on the panel to not have Blue Devils first or with a perfect score.

Edited by drumguy50

Please Lord, let the season start......

An easy solution would seem to be to not read this discussion!

• Like 1

very saavy release. he combines LOS as 3 days total...finals to finals is down from what I remember. No specifics on the total nut. Well crafted by a PR person

And to be fair, if we're talking about attendance & ticket sales, it seems kind of silly to prop one show/one attendance figure above all. Yes, it's Championships and it is a big deal: but isn't it more important if total attendance is up across the board?