What will help DCI become more entertaining

Ppfftt!!

I gotta tell ya', I'm really enjoying peering into your judges brains. Both you and Ream (and I think he likes to argue, too, but probably not with his wife).

I got over arguing with judges a decade ago. I know the sheets, on the local level, they knew I knew the sheets. I stopped caring about scores ( minus 2012 WGI) and cared about the kids getting better AND getting good feedback.

If a staff comes in trying to pick a fight with me, I stay calm. if they haven't listened to their recordings, I offer to wait until they have, and if they come in "well team A had this, we had that", I tell them Team A had their time to talka bout their show, now they can talk about their show...I'm notgoing to waste 3 minutes on they do vs you do.

A few teams are young enough to say "what can we do to get better" late in the season when they have clearly over written. I tell them addition through subtraction. If they don't get that, well, I carry a supply of erasers

So in your opinion, it is merely the application, or misapplication, of the sheets by the judges that is the disconnect; and 'not' the fact that the judges receive both written and verbal communication from the design staff concerning the nuances of the concepts all summer long, while the only communication from the staff to the audience whatsoever is just the the 11 1/2 min show. Hmmmm, I think it is the second reason here not the first which is the disconnect.

in my opinion yes. The new sheets, in all captions, are more performance driven. I think the wording on the GE sheets can be enhanced to encompass all 3 parts of the triad more, and I think if it did, it would help even more.

Remember...you have judges who have been doing it one way for so long....they are human too.

Why do you think the fans need written and verbal communication? I mean to be honest, several corps do update their websites. Really to satisfy you, I have an easy solution...the show writeups in the programs should be more concise and less fluff. This isn'ta knock on Boo, he writes whathe is given.

Wait. You get pie?

I didn't know judges get pie during a show. I like pie.

I should have been a judge.

no silly...well, maybe if the host throws out a god food spread you get pie.

One judge is part of the total. So even if I did pull for the underdog on my sheet, I have no way of knowing if my number is enough to change the outcome when everyones numbers are added together.

Either way, Regardless if I like a show or not, when I judge, ranking and rating based on the criteria of the sheet is key.

Wait. You get pie?

I didn't know judges get pie during a show. I like pie.

I should have been a judge.

Wow...I should judge with Jeff in TOB.

In my experience receiving pie has always been i2.png

I am more likely to receive a piece of pi.jpg

Not to geeky, is it! :thumbup:/>/>

Edited by MikeD

no silly...well, maybe if the host throws out a god food spread you get pie.

One judge is part of the total. So even if I did pull for the underdog on my sheet, I have no way of knowing if my number is enough to change the outcome when everyones numbers are added together.

Either way, Regardless if I like a show or not, when I judge, ranking and rating based on the criteria of the sheet is key.

This is close to my thought, but let me refine:

For example, you judge a school in, say, September, and again in November and, in that time, they have made amazing improvements in the execution of a difficult book/chart. The second time you see them can you add "tenths" simply because of their improvement? That is, had you seen a show score 90 twice in your viewings, is the second show judged higher simply because they made such extraordinary improvement? Even if first show is judged a 70 and the second is worth a 90, could you justify giving them a 90.5 just for the radical improvement, and maybe get them in contention for the effort?

Edited by garfield

Stu...I did not see this before I posted my post just under yours!

Hmmm...great minds and all that????

Na; I just sometimes 'accidentally' stumble across the same thoughts as those who actually have great minds (just ask my wife and she will tell ya) :tongue: