Missing Corps

Although you may npt see the big DCA corps in the western new york area like BITD, if you go to a parade around here you may see...The Hitmen, Prime Time Brass, The Ghost Riders, St Joes Alumni, The Hilton Generations, Kelly's Heroes, Dansville White Sabers, Savannah Cellar Savers et al...

yeah, it might not be like the old days, but these smaller groups are packing some serious talent. All of the previous groups mentioned are filled with, taught by, music arranged by...drum corps people.

Donny

• Like 2

I agree! My sister still lives up there and she saw some of those groups at the Canal Fest in Tonawandas and said they were awesome. Well, I already knew that!!!

Although you may npt see the big DCA corps in the western new york area like BITD, if you go to a parade around here you may see...The Hitmen, Prime Time Brass, The Ghost Riders, St Joes Alumni, The Hilton Generations, Kelly's Heroes, Dansville White Sabers, Savannah Cellar Savers et al...

yeah, it might not be like the old days, but these smaller groups are packing some serious talent. All of the previous groups mentioned are filled with, taught by, music arranged by...drum corps people.

Donny

Donny

what's up with the Purple Lancers?,............haven't heard much lately,....

what's up with the Purple Lancers?,............haven't heard much lately,....

I assume you mean the Auburn Purple Lancers. Last I heard they folded up shop back in the late '70s I believe. A friend of mine marched with them way back in the day. They were not around when I marched BD in the early '80s. Perhaps they had reorganized at a later date and I missed it.

"and there's far more options for people to choose to do things with their time."

With all due respect Jeff, this is a fallacy that people have been using as an excuse for the decline of drum corps every year since 1976. And it's simply not true.

How can one conclude that people are busier now with their "options" than people were 10 or 20 or 30 years ago? Did people sit around bored back then? Are you making the argument that because of all the "options" suddenly available in modern society, people do not have time to do drum corps, and that's why the activity is in decline? Really? Because of what options? Facebook and Netflix? School Soccer? Playstation 4?

The amount of "options" there are for people to spend their free time has nothing to do with the lack of participation in drum corps or any other activity, and it never did. No offense, but that view is, IMO, a poor excuse for the decline of participation in the activity. I would put forth that your view is dangerous, in that it gives the activity a rationale, if not an incentive, "not" to figure out what is wrong and turn things around before it goes extinct.

With its inherent power and impact that it is capable of achieving, drum corps can be one of the most visible and successful activities on the planet.

Writing the current decline off as people are too busy these days with all the "options" they have for entertainment in lieu of fixing the problem is wrong. It's just plain wrong.

• Like 4

I assume you mean the Auburn Purple Lancers. Last I heard they folded up shop back in the late '70s I believe. A friend of mine marched with them way back in the day. They were not around when I marched BD in the early '80s. Perhaps they had reorganized at a later date and I missed it.

they have recently re-organized and have been performing at parades and concerts,.....I am preety sure they were out last year,.........

Anyone else missing those corps from the past.....

Rochester Crusaders

Syracuse Brigadiers

Yankee Rebels

Matadors

Westshoremen

Pittsburgh Rockets

Les Metropolitans

Hamburg Kingsmen

Les Diplomats

Canadian Commanders

Thunderbirds

Guelph Royalaires

Niagara Regionnaires

Hanover Lancers

Johnsonburg Diplomats

Dunkirk Patriots

Suburban Knights

Interstatesmen

Les Ambassadeurs

Blue Eagles

Heatwave

Ohio Brass Factory

Steel City Ambassadors

and many more

Add Renegades this season and Empire Statesmen next year.

if what i'm hearing is right we may not see empire this year. and i'm not happy about that. i wanted them to go out big. i hope i'm wrong.

Kingston Grenadiers

Steel City Ambassadors

Fitchburg Kingsmen

L'Odysee

Utica Executives

Criterions

Holy Rosary Caballeros

Gulf Coast Sound

Edited by Florida Sun
  • Like 1

"and there's far more options for people to choose to do things with their time."

With all due respect Jeff, this is a fallacy that people have been using as an excuse for the decline of drum corps every year since 1976. And it's simply not true.

How can one conclude that people are busier now with their "options" than people were 10 or 20 or 30 years ago? Did people sit around bored back then? Are you making the argument that because of all the "options" suddenly available in modern society, people do not have time to do drum corps, and that's why the activity is in decline? Really? Because of what options? Facebook and Netflix? School Soccer? Playstation 4?

The amount of "options" there are for people to spend their free time has nothing to do with the lack of participation in drum corps or any other activity, and it never did. No offense, but that view is, IMO, a poor excuse for the decline of participation in the activity. I would put forth that your view is dangerous, in that it gives the activity a rationale, if not an incentive, "not" to figure out what is wrong and turn things around before it goes extinct.

With its inherent power and impact that it is capable of achieving, drum corps can be one of the most visible and successful activities on the planet.

Writing the current decline off as people are too busy these days with all the "options" they have for entertainment in lieu of fixing the problem is wrong. It's just plain wrong.

Thank you, Nicely stated.....I agree 100%

• Like 1

i agree with you. i've been saying that and have gotten carpet bombed for saying it.