Cellphones during rehearsals and performances

I'll bet you $20 you can't walk away for, say, three years.

Ready? Go!

Come on man, don't get our hopes up!! :tongue:

• Like 1

While I have no desire to stop posting, I also have no problem at all walking away (even for a very long period); how about you? Want to make a deal on a certain period of time for us (you and I) not posting on DCP? :satisfied:/>

sure... I agree to not post on DCP on weekdays between midnight and 4pm... :huh2:

Good Golly Miss Molly!! In case of a real emergency parents can contact adult(s) in charge of tour communications; adult then pulls kid out of rehearsal, out of the gym, out of retreat off the field, etc... to speak with parent. What we are getting at here is that the human species, especially kids, can exist without imploding for a period of time without texting, tweeting, blogging, chat rooming, ... and this is a way to teach them that self discipline. Or is that just way too draconian for you to handle?

And would these adults be like the ones who stranded the corps members after running out of money? Or would they somehow be more reliable, and how is a parent to know?

I reject your strawman. This isn't about teaching them self discipline. It's about control. Someone wants control and that feeling of power. It's not necessary, and if you're a parent of a minor, it's not transferrable to some 20-something staffer you don't know from Adam. I could see how this could be a problem for some families and factor into their decision making.

• Like 2

People had been dealing withOUT instant communications that cellphones have ***FOR DECADES*** How did they deal with emergencies??

***THEY CALLED THE LEADERS OF THE ORGINIZATIONS*** who would then relay the communications back to the kids. They also sent real live physical letters to and from each other. Archaic huh.

Remember Summer Camp before the internet and cellphones? Kid at camp... mom and dad back home.... dad has an accident, mom calls summer camp office, camp office contacts kid. Problem solved. Kid wasn't checking his phone every 30 seconds for texts, emails and calls. He was out rowing a canoe, learning to start a campfile, playing baseball, hiking, etc.

Kids are spoiled rotten over cellphones. No, you don't have to be connected every second of every day.

Yes I remember all that stuff, most times with fond nostalgia. Of course human nature is to forget the bad stuff and remember the good stuff with the passage of time, so we may be over romanticizing.. Anyway I'm not going to argue over what is needed or not needed. I'm just making a comment on what passes for normal expectations in this day.

Going to try a bit of an experiment, and I know it isn't exactly the same, but similar enough to drum corps scenario..

When BD All-star guys get off the plane here, we'll be giving each member a brand new state of the art Android phone (8 mega pix camera, HD video, 4G, etc.) with unlimited data on a 4G network. Goal is to actually document and share as much as possible without distracting from activities.

The cool thing is that this will all be posted to both BD social media and the phone manufacturer sponsor social media feeds. Again, an interesting sort of experiment with integrated sponsorship and always-on mobile engagement. Interested to see where this goes... and if it works... I think this sort of thing could hint at the future of drum corps sponsorship.

• Like 1

I reject your strawman. This isn't about teaching them self discipline. It's about control. Someone wants control and that feeling of power.

According to what I heard, the corps membership themselves decided to re-institute the cell phone ban.

I guess that would mean that they want control over themselves, right?

Edited by Slingerland
  • Like 5

And would these adults be like the ones who stranded the corps members after running out of money? Or would they somehow be more reliable, and how is a parent to know?

I reject your strawman. This isn't about teaching them self discipline. It's about control. Someone wants control and that feeling of power. It's not necessary, and if you're a parent of a minor, it's not transferrable to some 20-something staffer you don't know from Adam. I could see how this could be a problem for some families and factor into their decision making.

Of course this is about control; adults have the final say over the kids; yep I am all for that type of control. And this is not a strawman argument; 'unless', of course, you can say that you do not put any controlling limits on your kids whatsoever.

• Like 2

According to what I heard, the corps membership themselves decided to re-institute the cell phone ban.

I guess that would mean that they want control over themselves, right?

Hockey is about to get caught up in a tangled web unless he places absolutely no control limits whatsoever on his own kids.

• Like 2

Yes I remember all that stuff, most times with fond nostalgia. Of course human nature is to forget the bad stuff and remember the good stuff with the passage of time, so we may be over romanticizing.. Anyway I'm not going to argue over what is needed or not needed. I'm just making a comment on what passes for normal expectations in this day.

Normal expectation:

Adult staff member says to youth corps member during a rehearsal, "Put that mobile phone away; now!"

Corps member says to staff member, "I will when I get finished talking with my girlfriend, she is upset about her puppy dog running away"

Staff member to corps member, "Fine; you are sitting out of the next show; and if you ever do this again you are out of all the shows and you can tell your girlfriend to pick you and her new puppy up when you get home."

Edited by Stu
  • Like 1

Remember Summer Camp before the internet and cellphones? Kid at camp... mom and dad back home.... dad has an accident, mom calls summer camp office, camp office contacts kid. Problem solved. Kid wasn't checking his phone every 30 seconds for texts, emails and calls. He was out rowing a canoe, learning to start a campfile, playing baseball, hiking, etc.

I was hiking, with Joe Spivey, he developed poison ivy....you remember, Jefferey Skinner? He got ptomaine poison at the dinner.

Wait a minute...it stopped raining...guys are swimming, guys are sailing! Playing baseball, gee that's bettah...muthah, fathah kindly disregard this lettah!

:tongue:

• Like 1