Cellphones during rehearsals and performances

in 09, we someone updated their facebook status during a block and the tour director came out and called them out anonymously

That takes a special kind of stupid. A very special kind of stupid. Tour director should have just made them run.

Gone for one year, back in place.

That's no fun. Having a link to the outside world was awesome on tour. Eh, whatever works for them I guess. People choose to march there.

There's a dynamite dot-book app I encourage my students to use. Many have kept their music on them as well for a quick and easy reference (I know I do). Rather than a ban on cell phone usage, I lay down the law on what is allowed and what isn't. Breaking those rules will bring the wrath of me down on you as an individual. It's much better to embrace the technology, teaching students not to abuse it.

Edited by Kamarag

That's no fun. Having a link to the outside world was awesome on tour.

Funny. I've eaten at several Michelin 3-star restaurants, and never once had the idea that if I had tweeted "hey, I'm eating at ____", that the dinner would somehow have been better.

If the "outside world" is so much more appealing than the world a kid is in, maybe the world they're in isn't that great. cool.gif

Edited by Slingerland
  • Like 3

Funny. I've eaten at several Michelin 3-star restaurants, and never once had the idea that if I had tweeted "hey, I'm eating at ____", that the dinner would somehow have been better.

If the "outside world" is so much more appealing than the world a kid is in, maybe the world they're in isn't that great. cool.gif

I know it's a trope to make fun of food tweets, but that's not what he's talking about. Just having that connection with the outside world is a big deal.

Personally, I know a couple people that would update or check facebook all day during rehearsal and it annoyed the **** out of me. However, in your own time, it's anyone's game. I feel like it's totally unnecessary to take away member's ability to contact people outside the organization. I know Cavaliers does it, but I can't imagine what good it does.

The phone isn't needed during rehearsals- I'll agree to that.

I know it's a trope to make fun of food tweets, but that's not what he's talking about. Just having that connection with the outside world is a big deal.

Because the members are talking to their brokers about making major stock buys or sales? Their under-executives awaiting their decisions before executing papers connected to important mergers? tongue.gif

Nah. Look, there are a number of things about Cavaliers that make me scratch my head, but that policy always struck me as pretty smart when it comes to what drum corps is supposed to be doing. Fostering relationships with the real humans sitting next to them, putting members into situations where they couldn't call home for mommy when they felt lonely or hurt, etc, etc, etc. The kids marching drum corps now have been in a constant-contact world most of their lives, and will be again, once their seasons are done. To have a few months of being off the grid strikes me as more of a luxury than a punishment.

Edited by Slingerland
  • Like 3

Because the members are talking to their brokers about making major stock buys or sales? Their under-executives awaiting their decisions before executing papers connected to important mergers? tongue.gif

Nah. Look, there are a number of things about Cavaliers that make me scratch my head, but that policy always struck me as pretty smart when it comes to what drum corps is supposed to be doing. Fostering relationships with the real humans sitting next to them, putting members into situations where they couldn't call home for mommy when they felt lonely or hurt, etc, etc, etc. The kids marching drum corps now have been in a constant-contact world most of their lives, and will be again, once their seasons are done. To have a few months of being off the grid strikes me as more of a luxury than a punishment.

I'm not saying that doesn't happen now. It definitely does. I'm still closer to many of the people I marched with than people I'm with at school for 9 months of the year. But to deny people their valve to the outside strikes me as dumb.

It's great to foster those relationships, but they don't have to be happening 24/7 for 3 months. Calling home or getting on facebook is just fine.

Gone for one year, back in place.

Interestingly, it was brought back not by management, but by the request of the members themselves.

• Like 2

Depends really on the context.

I remember playing loads of gigs in a pit orchestra where we were drinking, ordered in pizza, played frisbee, cards, whatever.... boring to play the same thing night after night. So long as you play what you need to, you need.... at the top of your game... not a big deal.

Was conducting a rehearsal today.. started to get extremely annoyed at a mobile phone that kept ringing... then realized it was mine. :-) was using it for a met/tuner.

Anyway, mobile phone is not that big of a deal, so long as guys don't miss their individual responsibilities. The brains of kids these days are simply wired differently and are more geared toward multi-tasking.

I agree with that, and my brain is old. :tongue:

Even in the Community Band I belong to, where I am the timpanist, there are times that I have no part...e.g. a Sousa March. I've taken out my iPhone and looked at email or a website when I was just sitting there with no part to play for the entire tune.

That's no fun. Having a link to the outside world was awesome on tour. Eh, whatever works for them I guess. People choose to march there.

As par with what Mr. Boo says later in the thread the no cellphones on tour was brought about by the members themselves not by management. These are the guys that have marched and decided what they thought was best and this is only limiting of cellphones, laptops and ipods are allowed so this "avenue" is not completely gone. And it actually does make the tour better for the boys, it is the members rule.

Edited by littlejaw