Cellphones during rehearsals and performances

There were no phones at all for rehearsals. You could use it when you were on the bus, and a bit in the gym. But never on the field. You were there to do a job, not have social time.

I know Cavaliers used to have a no cell phone rule, but that has been gone for a while now.

• Like 2

I think Blue Devils (& Cadets?) encouraged cell phones for social media & live chat/tweet/video purposes last season.

• Like 3

Has any seen the movie "Larry Crowne"? There's a scene in a college classroom where a student takes a call during class. A somewhat jaded, rather surly professor walks to his desk and tells him to repeat (into the phone) what she's saying: (I am) going to learn to care.

Your bandmates need to learn to care. Everyone does today. This idea that multi-tasking was born with the smartphone and the millenial generation is stupid. It wasn't. What was born in the new millenium was a lower standard of caring.

A generation ago, I could have read a comic book or talked to the cutie in the flute section during band and played my parts better than pretty much anyone there. But that would have showed I didn't care, which I did. I cared enough to concentrate. I cared enoungh not to distract those around me.

This is not about what you CAN do. It's about what you SHOULD do. Care.

HH

I would offer a different way to look at this: people generally will do what you ask them, they want to please, and they will strive to meet expectations that are set. Whoever is in charge needs to set standards and enforce them. Before too long, they will become the norm and well established. Then, you will have the members/kids saying "hey, we don't do that here" when someone does something they shouldn't be doing.

I think Blue Devils (& Cadets?) encouraged cell phones for social media & live chat/tweet/video purposes last season.

Yes, but that wasn't while they were on the field. I think when they had people doing that stuff, they were off of rehearsal time. I don't think they'd want people blogging on the field instead of practicing.

I, for one, have my smart phone with me at all times during rehearsals. Being drum major, my partner and I use several of the apps that aid in running the rehearsal. It is my metronome, tuner, mp3 source, clock, etc, etc. I don't take calls on it during rehearsal but these days a smart phone can be a very convenient source of needed equipment and information.

Dan

• Like 1

I will say as a response, that the director of the symphonic band I was in, I think, for me, was the issue because he allowed the facebooking, and texting, and did not say a word. I can't tell you how my ears and mind cringed at all the wrong notes, poor musicality and unfocused immaturity many of the members had, but of course, .. .they were multi tasking.

They did not care, .. .did not want to care... so why am I there? I quit last Thursday. I can't waste my time with people who want to socialize and play around, rather than rehearse and play music.

-R

• Like 1

Depends really on the context.

I remember playing loads of gigs in a pit orchestra where we were drinking, ordered in pizza, played frisbee, cards, whatever.... boring to play the same thing night after night. So long as you play what you need to, you need.... at the top of your game... not a big deal.

Was conducting a rehearsal today.. started to get extremely annoyed at a mobile phone that kept ringing... then realized it was mine. :-) was using it for a met/tuner.

Anyway, mobile phone is not that big of a deal, so long as guys don't miss their individual responsibilities. The brains of kids these days are simply wired differently and are more geared toward multi-tasking.

• Like 3

Depends really on the context.

I remember playing loads of gigs in a pit orchestra where we were drinking, ordered in pizza, played frisbee, cards, whatever.... boring to play the same thing night after night. So long as you play what you need to, you need.... at the top of your game... not a big deal.

Was conducting a rehearsal today.. started to get extremely annoyed at a mobile phone that kept ringing... then realized it was mine. :-) was using it for a met/tuner.

Anyway, mobile phone is not that big of a deal, so long as guys don't miss their individual responsibilities. The brains of kids these days are simply wired differently and are more geared toward multi-tasking.

As usual, with the exception of 'the metronome aspect', I disagree with the D-Ray. Mobile phones, texting, tweeting, internet searching, have no place whatsoever in rehearsals, performances, and classrooms. Not only are they distractions to others, but eliminating them from the environment is a great teaching tool for self-discipline.

I know Cavaliers used to have a no cell phone rule, but that has been gone for a while now.

Gone for one year, back in place.

• Like 1

in 09, we someone updated their facebook status during a block and the tour director came out and called them out anonymously