Cellphones during rehearsals and performances

Back to the cell phone debate...don't like it don't send your kids away with them.

Back to the cell phone debate....why do you 'need' a cell phone out on the field? I agree that it is a great modern tool of technology, but there is no 'need' for it during rehearsal, shows, or while in uniform. If there is an emergency during those periods have it dealt with through an adult staff member.

• Like 3

Gotta say, Stu wins on this point.

BTW, if you really need to talk to mom and dad before losing it and killing people near you.....shouldn't you be in some sort of national registry or something? Cuz if you think other people in drum corps are bad, wait until you wade in to the real world, Peanut. cool.gif

Wow, we agree on something; and thanks for the compliment.

• Like 1

As a recent age-out (2011) there was an unspoken rule about cell phones on the field, and yes some kids broke that rule just like kids break every rule. And I do understand to a point why corps like the Cavies take away cell phones. I know it's hard to believe but I really do hate it when I'm trying to talk to someone and they're too busy on their iphone's to listen to me. However, tour now isn't like tour back in the 80's or even further than that (my mother and a few uncles marched in the late 70's and 80's I know what tour was like) and it gets really hard to be around the same 150 people for 3 straight months. If I didn't have my phone to call my parents at night and vent to them I probably would have killed someone in the corps. Just sayin'.

Back to the cell phone debate....why do you 'need' a cell phone out on the field? I agree that it is a great modern tool of technology, but there is no 'need' for it during rehearsal, shows, or while in uniform. If there is an emergency during those periods have it dealt with through an adult staff member.

Never said I had it out on the field, also said most kids don't do this and see it as breaking the rules. I also even said I understand why corps take it away

Never said I had it out on the field, also said most kids don't do this and see it as breaking the rules. I also even said I understand why corps take it away

Unspoken rule... So, a) How are kids breaking the rules when there is no actual rule?; and b) What ramifications are there from the staff for kids who do have cell phones on the field?

Edited by Stu
  • Like 1

Unspoken rule... So, a) How are kids breaking the rules when there is no actual rule?; and b) What ramifications are there from the staff for kids who do have cell phones on the field?

No, the "No Cell Phone" Rule is spoke AND usually in the corps contract. Ramifications? Probably just take he phone away and push-ups.

• Like 2

No, the "No Cell Phone" Rule is spoke AND usually in the corps contract. Ramifications? Probably just take he phone away and push-ups.

Not according to spinningsader; in post #63 Spinningsader stated,

"As a recent age-out (2011) there was an unspoken rule about cell phones on the field"

• Like 1

I think we're spiraling out a little bit. I think most of us can agree that there is no need for a cell phone on a rehearsal field or during a performance as it is a ridiculous distraction from what's really important: the opportunity to be a performer and to improve your performance to unimaginable levels. It's the reason we march.

AFTER A SHOW IS OVER, what's really important are people. People who march next to you, people in that other corps over there that are totally nice people, people you'll never see again who came out to see you perform and now you're walking away with a baby they threw at you, AND last but certainly not least, people who love and support you back home.

It's been mentioned before that tour is very different now than it was 20/30 years ago. One difference (perhaps an unfortunate one at that) is the lack of a local feel to tour. Because of this, I know several corps members whose families never get a chance to see them perform live. And for a lot of others, it's only once. Cell phones/social media provide a small window that can allow love and support to go both ways. Does the window need to be open 24/7? Of course not. But if it isn't open every once and a while, I feel that we as human beings are ignoring something that is really important.

• Like 2