Rumblings from CADETLAND

Touched on this in my brief Chambersburg review...

This horn line can blow. I haven't heard them this loud since 2007. Whatever approach Gino has taken with them this year is working. Even though there weren't "obvious" moments in the show, the sheer power of the brass made me grin. I'm still not completely convinced that the show design, as it sits right now, will be enough to win come Indy. But the members are rocking the hell out of what they're being given. The brass, percussion, and guard are firing on all cylinders. But... we all know GE is what puts you over the top to take home the gold.

I don't think they have that yet. And going up against Crown and BD... I'm not sure they can get there. BUT. They are certainly in contention at this point. And I look forward to further viewings of this show when I'm in the mood for pure, loud, well-executed drum corps.

Not sure your assessment is correct with respect to Effect. Music GE should be very strong and Visual I can't imagine placing under BD. I've watched that show more times than I care to admit on VOD, and I'm certainly not overwhelmed.

Not sure your assessment is correct with respect to Effect. Music GE should be very strong and Visual I can't imagine placing under BD. I've watched that show more times than I care to admit on VOD, and I'm certainly not overwhelmed.

I'm inclined to agree with you in some respects, but we're not judging the shows. When it comes to general effect, the green shirts have been loving what BD has been putting out in the past. I don't see this show being any different. Crown is nailing it as well with GE. Of the two, I think Cadets will be more competitive in the music GE than they will in the visual GE.

Not saying they won't be able to pull it off, but right now, I just don't see it. It is effective. But I don't think it's AS effective as what the other two are fielding.

We'll get a better idea Thursday.

• Like 1

Symposium kids marching with @thecadets ! #SSMA #SSMA13 #wcu #POTM #SummerSymposium https://vine.co/v/h7rMtKhw3LD

System Maroon evidently has its fans too, in the Carolina's no less. :-)

It's so nice to hear full out drum corps without any electronic support. Loved that.

• Like 2

It's so nice to hear full out drum corps without any electronic support. Loved that.

Can't call it full out drum corps if the pit wasn't playing... because they ARE a part of the drum corps regardless if they use electronics or not. I'm sure this wasn't a cheap shot at the pit by not including them in your description of "full out drum corps"...

Edited by charlie1223
  • Like 1

Can't call it full out drum corps if the pit wasn't playing... because they ARE a part of the drum corps regardless if they use electronics or not. I'm sure this wasn't a cheap shot at the pit by not including them in your description of "full out drum corps"...

I'm sure you've taken kickhalts' comment the wrong way. It was hardly meanspirited. Besides, some of us dinos might say "BITD, we carried our pit uphill both ways while it was raining with a tornado on the horizon, and we still had time to harass the guard."