Blue Devils 2013

I think " The Right of Swing" is a great idea for a show.

I actually think this will come across quite well. Edited by acolli17
  • Like 2

I've giving this a lot of thought since the announcementof this year’s Blue Devils show and am very disappointed with the showselection this year. First off, I have no doubt the corps will soundawesome and they will perform the hell out of it but will the audience enjoyit?

The Blue Devils playing the Rite of Spring (that's whatit is no matter what you call it) is like Philip Glass as the musical guest onSaturday Night Live. In fact, I would go as far as to relate thelast few years to Season 11 (85/86) of SNL when the show almost got cancelledbecause they tried everything and anything that year. In Episode 13,Philip Glass was the musical guest with Francis Ford Coppola as the host and itwas the only time the musical guest wrote a different intro to the show whichmatched Glass's style.

When we watch SNL we don't usually want to see a musicalguest like Philip Glass and when we go to watch BD we don't expect them to beplaying Stravinsky. If I wanted to hear Philip Glass I would go seethe symphony play it and if I wanted to hear Stravinsky in Drum Corps I wouldexpect the Cavilers or Phantom to play it. One could argue that BDis playing the "Jazz" versions but I personally believe Rite ofSpring does not transfer very well from classical to Jazz.

I expect the crowds will not understand the show or evenboo when they win. This is because The Blue Devils have letStravinsky be their musical guest when the fans expect Buddy Rich or StanKenton styles of music. Don't blame the crowd for not understandingthe show... I think it is time for the Blue Devils staff to see the disaster ofa decade (musically and fan appreciation) they are having with their identitycrises and go back to what works. Note - I disregard the Championships asworking because the crowd did not enjoy the show for at least half of them forthe past decade.

Paul Morris

BD Alumni 92-97

I'm glad that an alum is saying what a lot of others have been saying/thinking for a long time now.

As far as this year's show, just like the last number of years, I guess we'll wait and see.

• Like 4

I actually think this will come across quite well.

Does anyone know how much of the show will be drawn from the Brenzel charts? IMO if they stick to his stuff, the show could surprise a lot BD naysayers. OTOH if the show is primarily from the Sebesky...

I've giving this a lot of thought since the announcementof this year’s Blue Devils show and am very disappointed with the showselection this year. First off, I have no doubt the corps will soundawesome and they will perform the hell out of it but will the audience enjoyit?

The Blue Devils playing the Rite of Spring (that's whatit is no matter what you call it) is like Philip Glass as the musical guest onSaturday Night Live. In fact, I would go as far as to relate thelast few years to Season 11 (85/86) of SNL when the show almost got cancelledbecause they tried everything and anything that year. In Episode 13,Philip Glass was the musical guest with Francis Ford Coppola as the host and itwas the only time the musical guest wrote a different intro to the show whichmatched Glass's style.

When we watch SNL we don't usually want to see a musicalguest like Philip Glass and when we go to watch BD we don't expect them to beplaying Stravinsky. If I wanted to hear Philip Glass I would go seethe symphony play it and if I wanted to hear Stravinsky in Drum Corps I wouldexpect the Cavilers or Phantom to play it. One could argue that BDis playing the "Jazz" versions but I personally believe Rite ofSpring does not transfer very well from classical to Jazz.

I expect the crowds will not understand the show or evenboo when they win. This is because The Blue Devils have letStravinsky be their musical guest when the fans expect Buddy Rich or StanKenton styles of music. Don't blame the crowd for not understandingthe show... I think it is time for the Blue Devils staff to see the disaster ofa decade (musically and fan appreciation) they are having with their identitycrises and go back to what works. Note - I disregard the Championships asworking because the crowd did not enjoy the show for at least half of them forthe past decade.

Paul Morris

BD Alumni 92-97

Well, at least you're not pre-judging the show without giving it a chance...or making up your mind without hearing it first.

• Like 5

Does anyone know how much of the show will be drawn from the Brenzel charts? IMO if they stick to his stuff, the show could surprise a lot BD naysayers. OTOH if the show is primarily from the Sebesky...

Listened to my Sebesky album a few weeks ago on a turntable I bought 2 years ago. The link is close but no cigar. My turntable rocks!

Well, at least you're not pre-judging the show without giving it a chance...or making up your mind without hearing it first.

Jeez, at this rate, before you know it, people will start to make predictions in the winter of the placements of the top 20 Corps for the following August without knowing a single thing about the themes, the shows, or the music that will be played for the following season by any of the Corps. Sure glad we don't jump the gun here yet with THAT without " hearing it ( the show ) first ".

Edited by BRASSO