If You Had The Power....

I would add woodwinds, take away guard, get rid of about 100 members, put the ensemble in a concert hall, and totally make the ensemble and the judges stationary.

• Like 3

Because, as a DCI BOD member, your actions are based on what's best for the whole activity, specifically NOT on one person's desire for himself or for his corps. (I know you know this.)

Yes - my comment was a laugh line, but it prompted an excellent point in your reply.

Your effect idea is interesting, but I don't know about the 'first time' requirement for the overall effect judge. How is that accompished at 100+ shows around the country, if it is even a desirable goal (IMO it is not)?

Like the double GE judges of recent times, maybe it would only be done at selected events.

That means you would have a well-trained judge at finals who had never even seen any of the corps all year long, as a judge or spectator, but who has gone through all of the training necessary to be a judge. They get to judge one show a season. From the judge side...if I want to go through the training and trialing and all of the other thnigs needed to become a DCI judge, I really do not want to place myself in a cocoon all season long and never get to judge. From the corps side...If there are judges out there who are respected enough to judge championships, I want their input throughout the season. I certainly do not want any judge to be seeing my corps for the very first time at the last show of the season.

Why not? Many fans will be seeing your corps for the first time at championships. Plus...

I do like the idea of caption and overall effect judges, but my guess is financially that would not really fly in this day and age.

... speaking of finances, it costs money to fly judges all over the country to provide input throughout the season. Meanwhile, thanks to the huge nationwide marching band activity, there are plenty of potential judges to be found all over. Using a wider pool of GE judges could not only provide additional fresh perspectives, it could also trim travel costs.

So I let you ramble, maybe to long. SO......lets get back to whatYOU would do and stop taking unnecessary turns in the road. ANSWER the question that's all that was asked!

I could post "What is your favorite ice cream" and some of you will attack others because they like butter pecan and you don't! Gee wiz people!

FOCUS and Stay on Task!!!!!

Are they "entrenched"? Sure. But they are also "enlightened by experience". As to longevity being an indicator...the fact that these corps have managed to survive is in many ways amazing, given the high costs and myriad changes in society over the past 40+ years.

Is it? They created an organization to showcase top corps, provide shows and tours for top corps, and return money to top corps. After doing that for 40 years, top corps saw greater longevity, and the other 400 corps that once surrounded them have vanished. Your measure of "longevity" depends on how selectively it is applied.

Is it? They created an organization to showcase top corps, provide shows and tours for top corps, and return money to top corps. After doing that for 40 years, top corps saw greater longevity, and the other 400 corps that once surrounded them have vanished. Your measure of "longevity" depends on how selectively it is applied.

It is not the fault of the DCI corps that survived that 400 corps, most of them having little to do with DCI, were unable to survive.

Edited by MikeD
  • Like 3

So I let you ramble, maybe to long. SO......lets get back to whatYOU would do and stop taking unnecessary turns in the road. ANSWER the question that's all that was asked!

I could post "What is your favorite ice cream" and some of you will attack others because they like butter pecan and you don't! Gee wiz people!

The only thing I think I would actively pursue is "forcing" corps directors and designers to be more interactive with fans. Be it a 45 min. question/answer online type of thing (think Ask Me Anything), required participation with Fan Network (i.e. commentary explaining aspects of shows, maybe video segments that explain certain aspects in depth), etc: stuff that would go the extra mile helping to explain show design elements and creative decisions to the fans.

I'd also publicly post judges' tapes online: maybe for each Fan Network show I would randomly choose a caption and post that judges' tapes for each group. That way fans can hear what the judges are hearing, get a good idea of how the judges' are coming to their ranking/rating, etc.

Posting that stuff hopefully help the audience feel like they are more than just mindless borgs knuckle draggers (change for JimF-LowBari :tongue: )watching a program: it would get them into the heads of the designers AND help them understand why Blue Devils are constantly beating everybody ( :tongue:/> or whomever that season). At least instead of the goofy DCP-style bickering of "I don't get why Jersey Surf aren't beating Cadets: their show is so much fun!!" we would have bickering like, "I can't believe judge X thought that the visual design vocabulary for Phantom was limited but Blue Devils was maxing out." Also it would be fun to read comments of casual fans trying to figure out what the H some of that judge-speak actually means :tongue:/>

It might also get more people to sign up for Fan Network: give them added content they couldn't find on free youtube vids.

Edited by perc2100
  • Like 4

It is not the fault of the DCI corps that survived that 400 corps, most of them having little to do with DCI, were unable to survive.

My, you are quick to defend against an accusation that was not even made. My remark was only questioning whether it really is "amazing" that when we focused on a few corps, a few corps survived.

Which reminds me - getting back to the topic, if I had the power, we would probably be executing the ideas in the 2009 DCI 5-year business plan regarding growing the audience, the participant base and the number of corps.

• Like 1