DCI in Santa Clara 2017?

Seventh bullet ... "Capability to host more events than any other large stadium in the world, including NFL football and a Super Bowl, MLS soccer, NCAA basketball and baseball, high school sporting events, motocross, concerts, conventions, marching band competitions."

Yeah... but it doesn't say anything about drum corps shows. :lol:

• Like 1

Santa Clara is very dry in July and August, averaging less than .04 inches of rain per month.

'K. You still got that issue of stands-vs.-suites, as well as the grass on the field, which still makes it a likely mutual non-starter for both DCI and the Niners.

stadium4.jpg

I'd think the new Vikings stadium would be more realistic:

http://www.vikings.c...8a-12760787dd13

Seventh bullet ... "Capability to host more events than any other large stadium in the world, including NFL football and a Super Bowl, MLS soccer, NCAA basketball and baseball, high school sporting events, motocross, concerts, conventions, marching band competitions."

Maybe something is being pitched?

Although, I wonder about the acoustics. There's giant doors at the side, but a glass-like roof might make things difficult.

You think the acoustics in Indy are bad??? All that glass would be AWFUL for any musical event going on in there. Maybe they could put a curtain all the way around to the end zones (might be an idea for Indy too).

IF finals ever went back to CA I wouldn't attend

That Pasadena crowd was the rudest, drunkest (and yes, pot smell throughout the lots) I've EVER been around. It was disgraceful

G.

< laughs out loud>

George, you're never happy with anythings are you ?

Why not create your own league and put DCI to shame, maybe you could call it ( wait for it )

Recreational Arts Marching Drum Corps :shutup:

• Like 1

If the event were to move to Santa Clara, which side of the stadium would be used? On one side, you have too many suites and not enough general seating. On the other side, you have plenty of general seating, but no suites. Are suites a necessity for drum corps events? No. But I'm sure some of the suits and donors of DCI would prefer to have them, and they're the ones with all the influence.

49ers-stadium-footbal-tatujpg-e146d8cd8b20f351.jpg

given the size crowd DCi draws, the side with the suites may be better...it'll look more full

This is a really interesting perspective: one I haven't thought of. I'm curious as to your age, if you don't mind me asking. When I was younger, I always thought of Madison, WI as the mecca of drum corps and I was bummed that I spent my years of drum corps membership when DCI had a partnership with Orlando, FL and the year after I aged-out Finals was in Madison. It's intriguing if that is a common perception with a younger generation of DCI fans/members: that Indy holds some sort of mysticalish, "rite of passage" type place.

It's fascinating that rain has never been a major factor for DCI Finals before (though rain has disrupted Prelims and Semis before, and even forced one of those two shows to become a standstill in 1994; and who can forget the rainy mess of 1993 Finals?!), it seems Finals would've been canceled for sure recently if not for being indoors. I agree that after that event I would be surprised if DCI goes back to outdoor Finals in a rain-volatile region*

*note: it rains so infrequently in Southern California over the summer that IF it rains in

August it is the lead news story. This will be my 15th summer living in San Diego, and I think it's rained twice in August in the last 14 years. I know DCI is locked into Indy, but if they were to change... :tongue:/>

when it comes to weather, the most severe weather DCI has had to deal with has been....

in Indy. Why? because August is severe thunderstorm time out there.Even in 2010 when there were no major storms, the threat of one existed at all times when you had 100% humidity after midnight.

Yeah Jackson and Orlando had rain issues....I mean in the summer, when doesn't it rain in orlando? Jackson..well....thank God that mistake was never repeated. the rain was the least of the issues there.

funny thing about Boston in 94....Quarters got bumped to Wednesday for a Pats pre-season game. if it had been on Thursday....weather would have started kind of dreary, but improved as the day went on

1. It became a matter for the police and stadium security in the upper deck, side two section next to the ones where my family, friends and I were sitting. No foggy memories here. Denial on your part to the reality.

2. Ask those who marched Cadets that season; Hopkins even had to give a talk to the members about blocking out the booing. Dan Acheson also came and apologized to the members. Denial on your part again.

3. End of my comments on the topic.

Dan forgot to come talk to everyone in my movie theater.

Looks like there may be some suites on the other side before the upper bowl? Looks like it might be some standing room, a level of seats, then some suites, then the highest section. Looks like a pretty cool stadium for Niners fans though. What was the deal in 2000? Were there suites on that side? Not really familiar with that stadium.

Prelims and Semis facing the suites... Finals night facing the opposite direction. We switched directions in Foxboro.

Neat idea.

< laughs out loud>

George, you're never happy with anythings are you ?

Why not create your own league and put DCI to shame, maybe you could call it ( wait for it )

Recreational Arts Marching Drum Corps :shutup:/>

I'm happy with plenty. Like Indy. Anywhere half the fans aren't drunk and/or stoned.