Comical Moments During a Show

Some of my personal lesser favorites were the "corpsmember dressed as a judge" bit that they Bridgemen did, especially when the DM kicked the faux judge; Pat Forker in full police regalia as traffic cop during Bayonne's "traffic jam" was a good bit, as was his reprisal of that role at the end of William Tell in 1978, when the corps fell down (Denver).

And lest we forget the bits that started it all, 1976 Bayonne including the guard "flashing" at the end of Stars and Stripes Forever, the Chorus Line (less comical I guess - more showy) in One, and the entire corps falling to the ground in Prelims in 1976 Franlin Field.

Had to jump in for this one Ray. My first thought was "The Faint" and yes us Sr corps folks "Got It". :tongue:

Would have to explain this for anyone who never saw the Gong Show but Gene Gene the Dancing Machine one year was a hoot.

And the sop trying to following one of the guard members after a solo (guard members were clinging to him during the solo). IIRC another corps member grabbed him and pointed to the corps like "hey finish the show first".

I think that (as you say) the end of '92 VK was the ultimate moment, but without years of Bridgemen setting it up, I doubt we would ever have been ready for it, or accepting.

Well, both corps had Bobbie Hoffman, which is a pretty big connecting link.

And if I remember correctly, they threw that in just for Finals night, right? I saw them at Preview of Champions that year, and then Finals and I vaguely remember being taken aback when the 'fat lady sung' and then Jaws at her.

Of course, I remember a lot of stuff vaguely from decades ago, so I may be incorrect... :tongue:/>

You are correct. The corps was staying at a high school in Tennessee near the end of the season and the shark was sitting in the band room, left over as a set from the band's previous show. The instructors inquired about it and were told by the band director that if they would remove it from the band room, it was theirs. I knew about the shark in advance from one of VK's staff, but seeing what it did still pushed me over the edge.

As was mentioned elsewhere, the show was already a classic. The shark was like pouring gas on an already intense inferno.

I didn't read through the posts, so I'm not sure if bloopers count?

There's 2 from the 80's, a flag drop and horn solo (same corps, different year), that come to mind, but I'm not naming names in case bloopers don't count. It was comical, but at the same time horrifying, and it just proves mistakes can happen to anyone, even in finals, with the camera and mic right there to catch it. The soloist's chops were just shot and the color guard thing was a fluke (not even a toss)... awesome performers no doubt. Yes, it is comical, though...way more comical than any slapstick farce (which is almost universally painfully NOT comical) written into a show.

Again, I know that could have easily been me so not judging, just answer the question presented. :D

Edited by ordsw24

Well, both corps had Bobbie Hoffman, which is a pretty big connecting link.

You are of course correct, although Bob was not around for 92 BK - one of his Bridgemen was the Show Coordinator for that epic - Greg Clark - just the best kid you'd ever find when he marched - kept it up when he moved out West to put together shows like that one.

You are of course correct, although Bob was not around for 92 BK - one of his Bridgemen was the Show Coordinator for that epic - Greg Clark - just the best kid you'd ever find when he marched - kept it up when he moved out West to put together shows like that one.

I hear ya, Ray... Greg did a terrific job with VK.

And you're right... a great guy.

• 3 weeks later...

1981 SCV. At the beginning of Slava, the #6 bass drummer sneaks up behind another corps member, and his first big hit "scares" the other member into jumping up. Subtle, but effective.

Garry in Vegas

PS Regarding Greg Clarke, yes a great guy. Very creative and very focused, and a blast after the business part was done and it was time to relax. Glad to call him friend.

The Cavalier's Machine show where they did the "rubber band stretch and recoil", throwing the guard member head over heels.

The Cadets 1985 tuba "scream" at the end of "Christopher Street" quickly followed by a backwards company front.

The girl exiting the door as the judge in the finals performs of 2005 Cadets show.