New Uniforms 2013

And Phantom 2013 has a sash that looks similar to Cavies circa 1995. Point being?

All those "original ideas" the big name designers get the big bucks for, aren't so original.

As you well prove, what goes around, comes around. :-)

Cavaliers have been putting things on the baldrics ('sashes") for years. The show logo is just a replacement of the buckle that was on the sash forever, especially in the early days, that most recently made a comeback the last couple of years.

I love those shirts Coastal Surge is using at that DCI link. I'm still convinced that's the wave of the future, especially as the cost for those can be borne by members (who will obviously get to keep them) each year.

Mike

All those "original ideas" the big name designers get the big bucks for, aren't so original.

As you well prove, what goes around, comes around. :-)

Those designs were also all created by the same person - Cesario. It is much less about corps copying from each other than it is one man and certain "favorite" bits of adornment he likes to use on his creations. The 94/95 Cavaliers, 2013 Regiment, etc., etc. are what he likes to do. Silver ornamentation on black sashes, buttons (often in groups of three), striped sections, use of a crest or icon, shoulder "wings" - he loves this stuff and goes to that well quite often. Another example - The palette he's used for the new Crown look is virtually identical to what he did for Magic in 2002. Very different design, same combination of colors.

I think he overall does a good job of trying to keep identities distinctive, but there are obvious similarities in much of his work, which is understandable. It is indicative of why a lot of corps look (and also sound and move) alike, however. There is a very small group of people who have controlled the creative decisions for not years, but decades. They may move from place to place, but they are going to take their preferences with them.

• Like 1

Those designs were also all created by the same person - Cesario. It is much less about corps copying from each other than it is one man and certain "favorite" bits of adornment he likes to use on his creations. The 94/95 Cavaliers, 2013 Regiment, etc., etc. are what he likes to do. Silver ornamentation on black sashes, buttons (often in groups of three), striped sections, use of a crest or icon, shoulder "wings" - he loves this stuff and goes to that well quite often. Another example - The palette he's used for the new Crown look is virtually identical to what he did for Magic in 2002. Very different design, same combination of colors.

I think he overall does a good job of trying to keep identities distinctive, but there are obvious similarities in much of his work, which is understandable. It is indicative of why a lot of corps look (and also sound and move) alike, however. There is a very small group of people who have controlled the creative decisions for not years, but decades. They may move from place to place, but they are going to take their preferences with them.

I agree with you completely.

The same is true in terms of visual designers/drill writers. The same names are recycled from unit to unit with almost no new names appearing in DCI amongst the major players in awhile.

How many places/units has Marc Sylvester written for now? or Myron Rosander? or Jonathan Vanderkopf?

I understand that for these people, the corps are their livelihood and their salary. But any one person only has so many creative original ideas. We all like to imagine we're Michaelangelo but...

This may be where this thread merges with the speculative exclamations of Danielray on that other thread (right foot, wrong foot).

Edited by drilltech1

Hah - it kind of does. I agree with you guys - there is an amazing 'sameness' to uniform design these days. I do appreciate Brent Becker - he does try rearranging things, moving lines, trying different fabrics and textures - sometimes the results are :blink: , but sometimes they're also :worthy: .

Mike

Yes, but if I were a director I'd be tempted to go with a proven winner rather than an unknown. With a newcomer, you might just find the next big thing in uniform design, but the odds of having to march in a horrible uniform would be higher.

Still, I would hope they don't just have Cesario make the design cold. It should be the result of a conversation between the director, the visual staff and Cesario (or whoever). In addition, there should be some back and forth with design ideas and modifications. As long as that's the case and each uniform is infused with its corps' unique creative touch, I'm ok with it.

This posting by Cowtown on another thread seems germaine here. I apologize to the Cow if his sentiments are a bit other than what we are discussing.

Posted Today, 10:48 AM (#52) user_off.pngcowtown

• ptsdclarinetboy.jpg

With all due respect, I wonder if Michael Cesario has too much involvement with too many corps creating a more uniform look throughout

I strongly dislike many of the WGI uniforms but they are form = function so what might work in a gym on 30 people would never work on a football field for 100 plus – someone will make that mistake soon

Often, after a big uniform change, it take the visual staff a year to create a drill that works better for that uniform

• Like 1

The feather would have been perfect for the dada show. I wonder if it first came up as an idea for last year's show and they just decided it's close enough to relevant to put it in this year. They should be way longer though... at least two feet longer.tongue.gif Practical considerations, I suppose.

Actually, I always thought the regular plumes are absurdly long, almost as if they have been making fun of drum corps all along. They're so, um, big. And bright. Very dada. Our plumes were quite short by comparison. I always felt a little ... inadequate ...

the longer plume makes them look taller - I personally never liked the short squat plume Cadets used for that exact reason. the long plume adds height