All's well that ends well

Completely agree on Spartacus (whoever's going crazy with the "-1" button can include me too).

I heard Blue Devils 2002 went through a massive overhaul. Did anyone see them early that year?

About the blue devils mid season of 02': they completely changed the opener which was about 3 minutes of the show. And some major work to the ballad and closer. I have friends who marched that year and said that was the roughest summer they ever experienced marching.

Completely agree on Spartacus (whoever's going crazy with the "-1" button can include me too).

I heard Blue Devils 2002 went through a massive overhaul. Did anyone see them early that year?

Yeah they did. So did Cadets in 2001, early season and finals were two very different shows.

All's well that ends well, which means that problems do not matter so long as the outcome is good.

With respect to a drum corps show, do any of you have thoughts about a show that started slow or had issues but the outcome was good?

Can a good ending resurrect a lackluster design or performance? Any thoughts?

It seems as though your question can be taken two ways: First, for a corps that started slow but finished strong. The 2nd part of your question has to do with if a strong ending can overcome some show deficiencies.

For strong endings, Phantom Regiment usually knows how to end a show. Check out the Fan Network for most years to "get your goose bumps on".

Regarding corps that finished the season strong after more humble beginnings, consider The Cadets of 2011 as a more recent example.

If you want to go one step further and get an example for a corps that dropped after a strong start, the Cavaliers of the same year may qualify for that catagory. Though one of my personal favorites of 2011, X-trordinary just could not achieve the placement momentum that The Cadets had with Angels and Demons.

Consider that The Cadets finished 4th at the Minneapolis Regional, 3rd at San Antonio, 2nd at Atlanta, before winning in Indy by 4/10's of a point over the Blue Devils.

Going in the opposite direction that same season was the Cavaliers, winners of all 3 aforementioned regionals before falling to 3rd in Finals:

Minneapolis 7/16/11 / San Antonio 7/23/11 / Atlanta 7/30/11 / Indianapolis Finals

The Cadets 4th place (-3.8 off the pace) / 3rd place (-.65) / 2nd place (.7) / Winner (+.4)

Cavaliers 1st place (+1.4) / 1st place (+.1) / 1st place (+.4) / 3rd place (-1.5)

As we approach the beginning of the 2013 season, it's important to remember not to be in too much of a hurry to finalize the medal winners, or slot out the 4th to 7th place corps; 8-12, or which corps that may miss performing on the last night before the last note is played. Some of us groan about the lack of placement moves at Indianapolis. There's usually enough of that to go around between June and August. It's the old adage: it's not how you start, but how you finish!

Enjoy the 2013 season drum corps fans! I'm looking forward to experiencing the many surprises and enjoyment that this seaons's performers will be giving us.

And, if the season is half as exciting as I think it will be, it certainly will be "All's well that ends well", as the OP wrote as this topic's question.

Edited by drumcorpsfever
  • Like 1

One more historical example...

Check out the Madison Scouts from 1976. They scrapped more than 1/2 of their show between the beginning and ending of the season. The Scouts even cancelled part of the show schedule that year to do it. This would not be feasible by today's standards.

Here's the link (interesting read) to a previous DCP topic thread on the subject:

http://www.drumcorps...6-early-season/

Edited by drumcorpsfever
  • Like 1

Cavies Mad World....all new staff, started the season in the 5th/6th spot. Remember watching the show in June and thinking WTF! I believe it was right around San Antonio that they started to make their push then never looked back.

It was at the Broken Arrow show when things started to click. It was the first time they beat The Cadets that season and ended up being my favorite show . :thumbup:

Kind of hoping The Cavaliers do the same thing this year! You never know!

BD 2002 was a mess in the early season...show changed quite a bit by finals

Madison 2007. If I recall they were really under a lot of fire for the show design. The rework of that show's first few minutes was AMAZING. I still love it.

Madison was in really rough shape early on.....quite a turnaround by champ. week...

All's well that ends well, which means that problems do not matter so long as the outcome is good.

With respect to a drum corps show, do any of you have thoughts about a show that started slow or had issues but the outcome was good?

Can a good ending resurrect a lackluster design or performance? Any thoughts?

I can't help but think there are a bunch of Cadet show examples. They were famous for starting seasons incredibly slow....