DCI Dinosaur Communications - 2 cans and a string?

One thing that has never changed over the years regarding this topic are a) rumors and b) hype.

There are as many rumors and hype today as there was in earlier decades. We used to hear all sorts of stuff that later turned out to be untrue. Of course, some rumors did ultimately turn out to be true as well.

Rumors could start with anonymous sources too. Thats not changed over the years. Its probably much easier to start a rumor with today's anonymous posters on this new "Interweeeb", I would think however. But while there were differences in how info was received over the years, the level of gossip and rumors is probably about on the same level, imo.

Did you hear what Brasso said about the....????

Edited by drilltech1

I think DCW had to probably be the best and biggest source of information and news. Other then that word of mouth about things you'd hear from staff or members of other corps in the lot.

Man this is great stuff from our veterans. I'm a bit jealous about a time when face to face comms between the corps and face to face between DCI fans was the primary means of sharing the word. We get nuts waiting just mere minutes for scores and get positively apoplectic when there is late posting. But I think it must have been more "civilized" back in the day. You couldn't snipe from the safety of anonymity and publishing very nasty comments about corps must have been nearly impossible.

Another question for our beloved Dinos: Because of the local nature/focus of DCI, was movement between corps much more difficult...not to mention costly...particularly the top 5 corps.

Edited by Plan9

I remember we were always clamoring for DCW when the new issues would come out at different Corps' souvee stands...sometimes you would go weeks without seeing certain competitors, and it was interesting seeing where they were and how their shows were perceived by different writers. And I loved reading different writers like fellow Scout alum Larry Denman...he wasn't on staff for too long, but I liked his writing style. Also, does anyone remember Dr. Rosalie Sward? She was great! I could write a whole thing just about DCW. But the other thing that was kind of cool about the lack of cell phones/smart phones/internet, was it felt like we were sort of in our own bubble on tour, cut off from "the real world"....there was also something special about hearing certain Bob Barker rumors and having to wait until after tour to find out he was actually still alive. ;)

On another note, I remember before first tour started, lining up for at least an hour in the hallway of the Regent to get on the payphone to call home for maybe 5 minutes...and how special it felt to get a hand written letter (there's a concept!) from a friend or significant other while on tour. Ah, the good ole' days!

Edited by madalumni
  • Like 1

I remember we were always clamoring for DCW when the new issues would come out at different Corps' souvee stands...sometimes you would go weeks without seeing certain competitors, and it was interesting seeing where they were and how their shows were perceived by different writers. And I loved reading different writers like fellow Scout alum Larry Denman...he wasn't on staff for too long, but I liked his writing style. Also, does anyone remember Dr. Rosalie Sward? She was great! I could write a whole thing just about DCW. But the other thing that was kind of cool about the lack of cell phones/smart phones/internet, was it felt like we were sort of in our own bubble on tour, cut off from "the real world"....there was also something special about hearing certain Bob Barker rumors and having to wait until after tour to find out he was actually still alive. ;)

On another note, I remember before first tour started, lining up for at least an hour in the hallway of the Regent to get on the payphone to call home for maybe 5 minutes...and how special it felt to get a hand written letter (there's a concept!) from a friend or significant other while on tour. Ah, the good ole' days!

Do you remember when Bob Barker died???

Rosalie Sward was great. She brought an intelligence, professionalism, and humanity to the writing with a knack for finding other authors with good and similar credentials.

We sat in HamFam ( Allentown) and discussed the pros and cons of each show face to face. It seemed every drum corp venue there was a restaurant, bar or hotel were drum corps people met too discuss, debate and philosophy about drum corps.

This topic may go nowhere (or may have already been covered) but I was curious.... how did DCI fans communicate back in the day? How were pre-season rumors about shows, during season status and other DCI related stuff communicated without today's internet, DCP, fan network, video phones, tweets and Facebook? It's unimaginable.

Kind of a funny topic - it reflects the difference in the generations. Somehow I don't think we NEEDED to know as much instantly as we do now.

I read someone say mail was cheaper and quicker and laughed. If anyone wrote a letter about drum corps bitd I never heard about it.

We had Drum Corps News and Drum Corps World. We had staffs who talked to each other fairly constantly. We also watched each other a lot more.

To be completely fair I was 14,000 miles away during the first 2 years of DCI but when I came back I always felt like I knew enough, but you never really know until you stand in front of a corps and listen, eh?

No amount of forums or emails or facebook or even youtube videos, even now, replaces that rush of sound in your actual ears. Maybe that's why I haven't gone to any of the Movie Theater events.

Or maybe I'm waiting for a Senior Citizen discount?

Kind of a funny topic - it reflects the difference in the generations. Somehow I don't think we NEEDED to know as much instantly as we do now.

Agree with the generational bit Ray but us old dogs can get caught up in the newer stuff (up to a point :tongue: ) too. In the 90s I went out of town and out of country a lot for my job and didn't talk to my family for about a week at a time. Now my wife and I both have cell phones and if someone doesn't have their phone on them it's a stress causer because "something might happen" and you can't get a hold of them. (In fairness those cell phones have been a blessing when stuff hits the fan.)

I'd say it's what you're used to....

Speaking of DCW and preseason info...remember Trivial Ed's articles? He listed his phone number and invited you to call (which I did) and fill him in on – or get the scoop on – your favorite corps.

“This has been trivial and you are not”

I think this is a "you don't know what you don't know" instance or "unknown unknowns" ($1 to Rumsfeld). We only "need" it now b/c it's readily available.