DCI Dinosaur Communications - 2 cans and a string?

If you had access, there was also usenet (alt.drumcorps?) by 1989 or so. It got formalized into rec.arts.marching.drumcorps sometime in the early 90s. There was tons of commentary there about, say, Star of Indiana 1993.

To use a Rock' Roll analogy and comparison, DCP would be considered the Dave Matthews Band, while RAMD above here would be considered Marilyn Manson.

• Like 1

To use a Rock' Roll analogy and comparison, DCP would be considered the Dave Matthews Band, while RAMD above here would be considered Marilyn Manson.

Way back in the early 90s, RAMD was much better than the mind-destroying abyss it descended into later. The internet was a different world back then.

Way back in the early 90s, RAMD was much better than the mind-destroying abyss it descended into later. The internet was a different world back then.

We also had LOTS of DCI Drum Corps shows by June 16th-19th to discuss too.

For example, in 1989 there were already 11 DCI shows across the country that had taken place before this years first DCI scheduled competition that'll take place on June 19th. If this was 1980 that have already have been 11 DCI shows by today to discuss.

But things change. That was yesterday, this is today. And today( June 16, 2013 ) we discuss pictures of Guard uniforms, Uniform proper uniforms, rumors of what will be in Corps shows, etc and so forth. We just learn to adapt to the changing Drum Corps times, thats all.

Edited by BRASSO

So, were you at the DMB concert in Mansfield last night?

I think this is a "you don't know what you don't know" instance or "unknown unknowns" ($1 to Rumsfeld). We only "need" it now b/c it's readily available.

Completely agree - the thing I notice is that if I get busy with work or life and don't have time to sign on to DCP or Twitter for a few days or a week, when I peek back in I'm always impressed that very little in the world has changed, and someone folks have managed to exist without my opinions on things.

Not sure that's not a better way to live, although it's heresy to say in on a social media site, which DCP is.

I know I always get more done when I'm not on-line.

I have to agree with all those who are giving a shout out to Drum Corps World, which means the praise should go to to Steve Vickers and staff who out of love for the activity has kept us informed. DCW has also done a great job making sure we have accurate information during its entire history.

In high school (1977-1981) I remember looking forward to reading both DCW and Drum Corps News. DCN would be available for sale at CYO and Eastern Mass. circuit shows and at the first show of the season, everyone in attendance probably stopped at the DCN booth to find out what was happening and they always knew who to watch. I also considered myself quite an authority back in the day. At CYO Nationals, there were copies of DCW on sale, and unlike most people I knew who were into drum corps, I subscribed to both DCN and DCW and quoted both the way someone would quote The Wall Street Journal or New York Times.

I don't recall the names of all the DCN and DCW writers, but I do remember Harry Heidelmark and Fred Mowbray. There was very little question as to where Fred Mowbray stood on issues regarding drum corps (some may recall his 1978 article about DCI East). We can't forget all the great Moe Knox photos either.

So, were you at the DMB concert in Mansfield last night?

No, but coincidentally one of my Daughters and her Fiancee will at the DMB concert tonite in Mansfield( Ma)

I don't recall the names of all the DCN and DCW writers, but I do remember Harry Heidelmark and Fred Mowbray. There was very little question as to where Fred Mowbray stood on issues regarding drum corps (some may recall his 1978 article about DCI East). We can't forget all the great Moe Knox photos either.

Fred had an interesting way to get to shows that were a long drive from his home starting 1978 or 1979 (forget which). Fred and his wife would ride with the Westshoremens buses as their daughter was a member. All the craziness and profanity going on BITD and they would just sit without raising any objection. Later if you'd ask he'd just say "You guys were just blowing off steam". LOL - probably the first DC "celebrity" I dealt with on a one-to-one basis.