Mesa, Arizona

I just watched it again. I think one of the problems with the voice over in the ballad is the introductory part that wasn't in the original source material (at least not in the version I listened too). It is too unsubtle and comes off a bit cheesy. I think the reason I liked the Glass piece is because it is subtle. Coming right out and saying "I am going to tell you a story of ... love" doesn't really work for me. Also, I prefer the music behind the Glass version of that part better than the music in the Crown version.

Probably you heard the 1979 recording on Youtube? If you can find the 1993 recording of Knee 5 you'll find the full version of that narration, which does have the intro poem. They've already cut quite a bit of the elaborate language from it over the very first pirate recording I saw of Crown's show. I agree that they could cut the intro and the idea of swapping out the voices of the lovers is actually an interesting idea.

Was there and agree completely. The opener gave me chills and the narration was part of it all. But later the ballad narration was jarring. Would have been better with a male and female voicing the actual characters at a much gentler volume.

That's a good point... I agree.

The volume balance is something they can work on to fix. Like you said, it seemed quite jarring at such high volume.

Edited by Fran Haring

OK--maybe the new format of the recaps is confusing me, but if I read this correctly, Crown was scored highest in General Effect - Visual (at 15.3) with Music - Percussion next (at 15.0).

Is that right? Did their percussion score higher than their brass? Or, is it because of a partial panel, brass wasn't separately judged? (If I recall correctly, the shows out West tend to have full panels before the Eastern shows. Maybe a full panel tonight? Or maybe Stanford?)

Anyway, here's to an exciting season. Go Crown!!!!

Is that right? Did their percussion score higher than their brass? Or, is it because of a partial panel, brass wasn't separately judged?

Correct. For the first few weeks, the five-judge panels consist of one GE Music and one GE Visual judge along with Music Analysis and Visual Analysis, and then just one judge for the four main performance elements: brass, percussion, guard, or visual. I think BD pays for a full panel on a few of the west-coast shows. But for the most part until early July, it'll just be these five-judge panels, which necessarily weigh the scores in whatever direction the single caption judge is judging.

But for the most part until early July, it'll just be these five-judge panels, which necessarily weigh the scores in whatever direction the single caption judge is judging.

Essentially accurate observation.

However its worth noting that this Sunday Nite's show in Bowling Green, Ohio ( unlike Sat's show in Akron and which will be shown in theatres on Monday ), they will have a full 8 person panel as follows :

GE Vis. : Baker

GE Mus. : Jones

Vis. Prof. : Morris

Vis. Ana : Giese

Guard : Kemp

Music Brass : Cook

Music Ana.: Fugett

Music Perc. : Dunn

Edited by BRASSO

• 1 month later...

CC may be a bit dirty tonight (who wouldn't be)...but they have their best design ever...so I think the judges will love it and reward them with a 74+. I don't much care for predictions but my guess is that BD and CC will be within .5 of each other all the way to finals.

Bump. Re-reading early season show threads. This deserves an award for prescience.

• Like 2

Bump. Re-reading early season show threads. This deserves an award for prescience.

And you get a +1 from me for using the word "prescience"!

• Like 1