Lexington Lolllapalooza

Drums were not judged tonight...full panel tomorrow.

Thanks for the correction about drums...I was wrong there. Where did you see full panel tomorrow? I have seen two lists and they were both 5 judge panels. Just asking, I would like to know who is judging.

Quick thoughts-

Troopers- Fun start. Loud.

Crossmen- Not as engaging as Troopers. Seemed to be very similar to Troop, performance-wise. I'm not sure if I see this show in finals; most of it is pretty slow.

Spirit- WOW. I'm a believer. Loudest corps of the night, with a super fun show. Several steps up from last year, and that's saying something.

Cavaliers- Cool show. Will be great when/if it comes together in August. I wasn't high enough to see much of the drill, but it may have the same design problems as last year. Brass sticking out all over the place, and dirty visually. However, will be very impressive once cleaned, and is already very cool. I don't think Cavies are close to Spirit because the Cavies are in a down year - I just think Spirit is just going to surprise a lot of folks.

Bluecoats- Head and shoulders above the rest tonight, in music and visual performance. Neat show, especially with the intro - kind of a twist on a parade. Cool effects with bleacher props. I'll venture to say Cavies likely won't catch up to them this year.

• Like 7

Yeah... having heard their book... and recent standstills... I know that is not possible. Some fishy stuff like that happened a few times last year.

Last year I assumed it was due to some new judges and being early in the season. There were particular judges who would do it more often. Perhaps they interpreted the scoring principles differently than most judges. Or perhaps they just filled in the boxes backwards.

Now that I have FINALLY seen more than 30 seconds of the Cavies (just shy of 3 minutes on YouTube), here's first impression.

Show design, much better then last year. Definitly needs tweeking in drill and music.The backbone is there, something that "15 minutes" lacked.

At this point last year execution was better but product not so much. This year product better but execution not so much. Im much happier with the latter.

Judging by content v. execution scores last night and the comments I've heard that seems to be the feeling surrounding the show. It was extremely dirty and reminded a lot of how Mad World started the season.

Excited to see how season progresses....

BTW, the drumline is awesome and should be top 5. Liked the staging of the guard much better. Even though they were dirty that drill has them running all over the field, which I find more impressive then standing in place doing ripple tosses.

Edited by GREENBLUE
  • Like 1