Boston 2013

And Brasso, do you believe Boston has the show design this year?

No.

• Like 1

Fine tune the "absolutely-got-to-hit-em" set points whether they are stops or transitional sets.

In my eyes, any mm who are in a "front row" drill set have to be corrected to death. I feel the visual folks will be eye balling them first before they look deeper into the formation. And many times, by the time they start checking other parts of the set, the mm are moving off to another drill move. For the BAC, it is paramount that the guard, because of their huge numbers, nail their positions.

Edited by Ghost

It is also about Show Design. More so than performance execution frankly. Much of the current judging captions are chock full of Show Design points that permeate across so many of the current judging captions.

Agreed

In my eyes, any mm who are in a "front row" drill set have to be corrected to death. I feel the visual folks will be eye balling them first before they look deeper into the formation. And many times, by the time they start checking other parts of the set, the mm are moving off to another drill move. For the BAC, it is paramount that the guard, because of their huge numbers, nail their positions.

A judge in the stands of any decent height, sees the entire set. They don't look only to the front, they see it all. A huge guard has much more field coverage and by your reasoning, it should be more difficult to judge because as you say, the judge isn't able to evaluate the entire set.

No.

Agreed. And frankly, I was waiting until later in the season once the changes went in to really form an opinion regarding the show design.

I love the Crusaders. Their shows are in my top three favorites almost every year. This show just doesn't have the legs (in my opinion, of course) to take them very far competitively. There's just too much to change at this point. Further, people keep commenting on their visual execution, and while I agree they need to clean visually, I think this version of BAC is not very strong musically. I feel like the brass is weak compared to prior years.

I will be pleasantly surprised if they rise any further...

• Like 1

It is also about Show Design. More so than performance execution frankly. Much of the current judging captions are chock full of Show Design points that permeate across so many of the current judging captions.

I guess that was the point of my question. It seems that BAC's big jumps in score this year followed significant design changes. They're definitely cleaning the current design, but it feels like the results will be 1 point increments (while everyone else sees similar benefits from cleaning their shows). It also seems like the incremental increases will diminish as the obvious issues are eliminated leaving the less obvious stuff to clean. So, it looks to me like another design change is needed to push BAC past the 2 or 3 corps in front of them by finals. The question is, what would that change need to be?

OK, I'm going to sound like a homer, but this is BAC's time of year. If they have any tribal memory of their storied existence, from now to Boston (Lawrence anyway) and DCI East (which is practically a home show for BAC, Cadets, and perhaps Crossmen - how weird is that?) I could see them roaring through the rest of this season picking up not 1, not 2, but 3 points per night, ending up way over 100...

But seriously, this is the time of year that separates the great from the near great. I'm making a guess based on sentiment and historical perspective that BAC will finish great.

The corps is, after all, made of GIANTS.

Only gained one tenth on the Cavies tonight in AR.

Edited by Ghost

I guess that was the point of my question. It seems that BAC's big jumps in score this year followed significant design changes. They're definitely cleaning the current design, but it feels like the results will be 1 point increments (while everyone else sees similar benefits from cleaning their shows). It also seems like the incremental increases will diminish as the obvious issues are eliminated leaving the less obvious stuff to clean. So, it looks to me like another design change is needed to push BAC past the 2 or 3 corps in front of them by finals. The question is, what would that change need to be?

With all these design changes you feel have been made has me thinking; if the mm executed the snot out of the original design, would they still not be scoring any higher? Or, is the design being changed because the mm have not executed what was initially written. Craiga replied on July 10th (post #110 of this thread) "The corps is currently in Wisconsin "reverse watering" the show." It's not hard for me to become confused, so what is it? Making the show easier to march or more challenging visually and hope the mm can execute it.