Cavies Struggles

You cannot be dismissive about this.... Let me remind u that Spirit was last seasons 11th place drum corps... Now they're much better but Spirit may not be top 7-8 this year most likely... It's not inconceivable to see them in the double digits.

Just watched spirits show again...while I can appreciate their brass, visually they'll need to make some major changes to have any chance of moving up. As of right now that visual program will max out by san antonio.

• Like 1

Things come in waves. Cavies were at the top for a while, but anyone at the top doesn't always stay there. The word "Cadeviliers" may not be in use this year, though.

Its " Cadevaliers " and it will still be apt once again if either The Cadets or the Blue Devils win the 2013 DCI Title. We usually have someone besides the Cadevaliers ( Cadets, Blue Devils, or Cavaliers )win DCI every 12-15 years or so, before things return to normalcy the following year once again for the next decade or so. The last non Cadevaliers to win was 2008 ( Phantom Regiment ) by less than half a tenth over the Cadevaliers ( but a wins a win as they say ). Crown appears to have the best chance right now to upset The Cadevaliers, with Phantom Regiment also a dark horse Corps to perhaps do so this season.

Edited by BRASSO

I only saw their show in a wind storm without the cloaks to start the show but I think this show will be better than last year. It at least seems more entertaining to me. Its not Top 5 but I don't see it as a 9th place or lower show either. 7th behind BD, Crown, SCV, Cadets, PR, and Bluecoats seem achievable.

They lost to Spirit of Atlanta last night by .15. I really think the wind storm covers that since virtually all props and costuming were not in use. They were @ 2 points behind the scouts but the Cavaliers program has much more room to grow conceptually. With Madison it is what it is. The wild card is how BAC grows their show throughout the season. If they show what they are capable of, then I see Cavaliers back in 8th place again.

Conceptually, they have a ton of room to grow during the season. I didn't see that in last year's show. if the corps is young, then its up to how the staff approaches the utilization of time in rehearsal to make it better.

I saw the show in both Akron and Bowling Green. I can truthfully say that the storm was not the big factor in their show that everyone wants it to be. Bowling Green was actually a much better run for the hornline, and the guard only had a few more breaks in the storm than they did in Akron. In fact, there is a part where the guard runs towards the front to catch a flag thrown at them from members on the side line. With the gust of wind, this actually went smoother than in Akron. This is not to bash them, I am simply trying to set the record straight. I have Spirit beating them in Akron as well.

Unfortunately I have had my concerns about the Cavalier's future since the Great Divide, and I am not proud of it. Your name can only push you through so many years of continual "so-so" design choices, especially when everyone else is on the rise. I think their name has placed them at least 1 place higher than they should have been since the Great Divide. My concerns were confirmed for me when they didn't do any better with XtraodinarY. XtraordinarY was a show that you could do literally anything with... ANYTHING! GE should have been through the roof! I remember getting totally flamed on here for saying that this would happen back then. You also have to think of the Region they are in. Phantoms right there, Bluecoats aren't that far away in "auditioning" standards. I believe Madison and Stars still host their auditions in Indy. If you aren't consistently putting out top notch designs out there, there is no reason to travel as far to audition for the Cavaliers when there are so many other corps on the rise around them.

With that said, this is a show to make a step forward. Even I like it, which as a student of mine that marches there evens said "Whoa! That's a big deal coming from you!", because he knows of how I feel about the Cavaliers lately. They will catch Spirit or Boston, but I believe Madison is too far ahead. There is more room for the cavies to improve than the other two. This is all going to depend on the resiliency of this young talent.

Sadly, the Cavaliers downside is DCI's upside. This is the parody everyone has been asking for for years. If you want the back 6 to rise, the front 6 has to fall.

Its " Cadevaliers " and it will still be apt once again if either The Cadets or the Blue Devils win the 2013 DCI Title. We usually have someone besides the Cadevaliers ( Cadets, Blue Devils, or Cavaliers )win DCI every 12-15 years or so, before things return to normalcy the following year once again for the next decade or so. The last non Cadevaliers to win was 2008 ( Phantom Regiment ) by less than half a tenth over the Cadevaliers ( but a wins a win as they say ). Crown appears to have the best chance right now to upset The Cadevaliers, with Phantom Regiment also a dark horse Corps to perhaps do so this season.

All NON-Cadevalier Champions of the past 30 years...

2008 Phantom Regiment

1999 Santa Clara Vanguard (tie)

1996 Phantom Regiment (tie)

1991 Star of Indiana

1989 Santa Clara Vanguard

1988 Madison Scouts

To think, the same three corps have won at least a portion of the title in 26 of the past 30 years. The more things change, the more they stay the same in DCI. Which is what makes the Cavaliers sudden struggle all the more shocking.

...as well as Cadets and SCV and Bluecoats... You remember how Phantom's 2008 show didn't boom until right about finals time? Any of these corps have a shot right now.

Unfortunately after seeing the Cavaliers on Saturday AND Sunday I can say I'm just very sad. These are not the Cavaliers that sold me on DCI in 2006. I hope over the next few years they can bring it back but it is not this year. Spirit will give them fits and so will Madison. I have to be honest and say I do worry about their finals security.

Boston DID place 7th in 2012, and the G7 instantly became the G6+8th place corps, so I guess this year, it could be the G6+9th or 10th place corps.

• Like 1

Or 11th or....

• Like 1

All NON-Cadevalier Champions of the past 30 years...

2008 Phantom Regiment

1999 Santa Clara Vanguard (tie)

1996 Phantom Regiment (tie)

1991 Star of Indiana

1989 Santa Clara Vanguard

1988 Madison Scouts

To think, the same three corps have won at least a portion of the title in 26 of the past 30 years. The more things change, the more they stay the same in DCI. Which is what makes the Cavaliers sudden struggle all the more shocking.

So, what you're saying is, it would be more appropriate for the announcer to say: "From SantaMadiPhan, the Cadevaliers"

crowd roars thumbup.gif

Edited by c mor