Cavies Struggles

How will they compare to a surging Blue Stars who, I am told, have major room for growth and a talented corps? How about Crossmen, Academy?

Someone is surging in three contests? And Cavaliers DON'T have "major room for growth and a talented corps"? cool.gif

Looking at a run of the show on line, it's already musically a major step forward from last year's disjointed effort. There seem to be a lot of design elements that haven't yet been pulled into cohesion, so it makes sense that their GE numbers are in the tank - until they can figure out how to integrate all the external design elements into something meaningful, they're gonna pay a price. . But if you consider the disparity between the GE numbers from last night and the content numbers in the captions, and the overall guard and percussion numbers, they're really not that far off a Top 7 position.

It's a solid organization with a pretty good track record. One way or another, they'll figure out something. And it's a good sign for the whole activity that the competition in the middle has gotten tighter.

Just a little reminder for you: Last year's (eventual) 11th place corps beat last year's (eventual) 8th place corps far later in the season, and it worked out ok for the Green Team in August.

July 7th, Kalamazoo, MI

World Class

1 Bluecoats 78.650

2 Madison Scouts 75.150

3 Spirit 74.150

4 The Cavaliers 73.550

5 Blue Stars 71.400

6 Glassmen 69.500

7 Pioneer 56.800

But there in lies my point... They went from 3rd to 8th last year... It really work out ok for them? They spent the majority of time competing against corps they would never fret during the day... This is a pattern and not a good one. Whether Spirit is 10th or 9th or whatever this year the Cavies are staggering to the point where they are in a fight for their finals/lower finals lives. That doesn't mean they can't or won't surge but they may not as well.

Admittedly I haven't read it to this point, but what's next in this thread? Is it... "I think the membership should be refunded dues for poor design"? Isn't that where it went in week 2 last year? It's the Cavies. If you follow their facebook it's pretty evident they're more about being Cavaliers than whatever your opinion of their show to date (or final placement) is. It's a pendulum with every corps from year to year. I'm okay with that. I haven't seen the show yet, but they'll make finals. They'll be in the top 8. That's what will happen.

Sheesh.

• Like 1

I enjoy the posts in this thread that are like "they will finish in at least X place. Why? Because I say so. Also, anyone that thinks differently is way out to lunch."

I would be VERY interested in the how many 2012 members that are marching in DCI in 2013 are marching with the Cavaliers.

I don't think anyone would disagree that if you joined the Cavaliers for the 2012 season, that you didn't get the experience you were expecting.

Edited by soccerguy315
  • Like 1

2010 they had a great vehicle... They were not really in danger then. That was still dominant Cavaliers, the past season and start of this one is a shadow of the 00's... I want them to do well, one of my favorites corps but its not the same for them right now

• Like 1

Just home from the theater show.

Was really prepared for an awful show.

It was dirty. And I get that Cavies usually come out a lot cleaner.

But the design is not awful. They're not dropping out of finals. I could see them moving up from last season.

Guard was strong.

• Like 3

All NON-Cadevalier Champions of the past 30 years...

2008 Phantom Regiment

1999 Santa Clara Vanguard (tie)

1996 Phantom Regiment (tie)

1991 Star of Indiana

1989 Santa Clara Vanguard

1988 Madison Scouts

To think, the same three corps have won at least a portion of the title in 26 of the past 30 years. The more things change, the more they stay the same in DCI. Which is what makes the Cavaliers sudden struggle all the more shocking.

This is truly amazing to think. Part of me hates to see it happen and part of me thinks it might do the activity some good to mix it up. I was actually taken back to see Cavies start off so far back--I couldnt comprehend (because of the above) them having two really rough seasons back to back--but alas we are in a new era. Will it last I guess is the real question or will Cadets or Devils be next?