Cavies Struggles

What the heck happened in Atlanta? I'm surprised this isn't getting talked about. I think I counted 3 or 4 members fall during the show in Atlanta. One brass player fell and then caused another brass player to fall. And moments later a Color guard member got caught up in his flag and tripped himself. With two weeks before finals this is not good.

I didn't get to watch Atlanta, but I noticed lots of comments about falls in the thread. Was the turf oiled down before the show or something?

What the heck happened in Atlanta? I'm surprised this isn't getting talked about. I think I counted 3 or 4 members fall during the show in Atlanta. One brass player fell and then caused another brass player to fall. And moments later a Color guard member got caught up in his flag and tripped himself. With two weeks before finals this is not good.

I guess you didn't get the memo that that "field" was VERY slippery for a lot of the corps (not just cavies) due to having plywood placed on the field and other turf rolled on top of that the day prior for a soccer game. The field turf was very compacted.

The Cavies will be just fine!

• Like 1

A cavies member actually fell during a show? And this close to Finals? Are you kidding? Guess I should sell my ticket, cause it doesn't look like their gonna make Finals.

I think I'm gonna tell my friend who marched BD to sell his ticket too. In case you didn't hear the guard had a few rifle drops in Atlanta. This close to finals?

Crown fans, your not excluded from this! Your percussion is scoring 5th. This close to Finals? I mean what's happening?

Point proven. End sarcasm.

Just not quite sure why a thread titled "cavies struggles" had to be pulled up after being buried a month. Couldn't the comment just have been posted in the active Atlanta thread? And if the OP had read the Atlanta thread they would have discovered that there were multiple falls by multiple corps in Atlanta. And they would've read the reason behind the slippery turf.

Uugh.

• Like 3

• 1 month later...

Its " Cadevaliers " and it will still be apt once again if either The Cadets or the Blue Devils win the 2013 DCI Title. We usually have someone besides the Cadevaliers ( Cadets, Blue Devils, or Cavaliers )win DCI every 12-15 years or so, before things return to normalcy the following year once again for the next decade or so. The last non Cadevaliers to win was 2008 ( Phantom Regiment ) by less than half a tenth over the Cadevaliers ( but a wins a win as they say ). Crown appears to have the best chance right now to upset The Cadevaliers, with Phantom Regiment also a dark horse Corps to perhaps do so this season.

Well look at you, you called it!

I would not be surprised to see Cavaliers return to the top and since I thought it would be a two or three year period of rebuilding for the corps, they are not far off as far as I can see. However, I am not sure I would predict that it is a given that we will return to the "Cadevileer" days. For one thing, Cadets, if I am not mistaken, have only placed out of the top 5 one year since 1982. Blue Devils have placed in eth top 5 every year since 1975.Cavliers have been out of the top five for two years in a row and there was a hefty space between 7th and 6th, so we are not talking temporary setback. We'll have to wait till next year to see whether there will be steady progress for Cavies and whether Crown has now achieved their glory and that's it or whether a new dynasty is beginning and since their progress to first place is similar to that of Cavies back in the day (slow, methodical, but determined), I'm thinking Crown will not be a one time or occasional champion. Then there's always the other factors that need to be :

Madison placed 9th again this year but with a much better show. Are we seeing the beginnings of a Madison resurgence?

Many of the years Cavies were in the Top 3, SCV was not, but they are certainly getting closer to a return to their glory.

BAC is committed to more sophisticated, difficult, and competitive shows. Where will they play into the mix?

Bluecoats are long overdue for a surge, hoping o show that a third place finish a few years back is not the best they can do, and you can never write out Phantom.

So while Brasso's prediction of a return to Cadevileers is not far-fetched, it's not a given either.

Musically, the Cavaliers should be much closer right away, with the addition of the new brass staff and return of Macintosh to the Percussion caption head. The visual needs to be a bit stronger again, but the main area is show design. If they can get a show that the members, fans and judges all buy into, would not be shocked to see them right in the mix. A corps like The Cavaliers is never too far away with such a strong history and organization behind them. Would not be surprised if they are a top 5 corps again from the start of 2014.

Edited by trumpetcam

I'm keeping my eye on SCV. Rennick and Shaw are there, and they just had their highest placement in nearly a decade.

I would not be surprised to see Cavaliers return to the top and since I thought it would be a two or three year period of rebuilding for the corps, they are not far off as far as I can see. However, I am not sure I would predict that it is a given that we will return to the "Cadevileer" days. For one thing, Cadets, if I am not mistaken, have only placed out of the top 5 one year since 1982. Blue Devils have placed in eth top 5 every year since 1975.Cavliers have been out of the top five for two years in a row and there was a hefty space between 7th and 6th, so we are not talking temporary setback. We'll have to wait till next year to see whether there will be steady progress for Cavies and whether Crown has now achieved their glory and that's it or whether a new dynasty is beginning and since their progress to first place is similar to that of Cavies back in the day (slow, methodical, but determined), I'm thinking Crown will not be a one time or occasional champion. Then there's always the other factors that need to be :

Madison placed 9th again this year but with a much better show. Are we seeing the beginnings of a Madison resurgence?

Many of the years Cavies were in the Top 3, SCV was not, but they are certainly getting closer to a return to their glory.

BAC is committed to more sophisticated, difficult, and competitive shows. Where will they play into the mix?

Bluecoats are long overdue for a surge, hoping o show that a third place finish a few years back is not the best they can do, and you can never write out Phantom.

So while Brasso's prediction of a return to Cadevileers is not far-fetched, it's not a given either.