It's a Blue Devils world...

You just described literally every drum corps.

I guess I didn't describe as well as I saw it and thought of it...perhaps it's indescribable......but it's another level for sure.

On another level as compared to what?

What other World Class Corps have you've seen practice?

Like the Judges, many of you give Blue Devils far too much credit

Let's just say that I have a perspective based on empirical observation....no corps names are necessary.

I was personally (operative word) impressed with BD's approach to rehearsal. And many of us use the word "another level" with BD....and not just honks.

Now, what do you think the difference is?

AND, what was once fresh and exciting also becomes familiar and done. BD design although well written is hardly new. This mode of dessign dates back to 2008.

It goes back a lot further than that. I love what BD is doing, but all they've done is transpose WGI onto a football field. Which is no mean feat, but that "innovation" word that gets thrown may not really apply to BD. IMO the Cavies of the early and mid 2000s were the last true innovators in drum corps. This is not intended as a slight towards BD . . . they're the best in the biz at almost everything.

• Like 1

That being said, I feel that the Devil's will soon need to find the "next thing" as I think their shows are starting to become stale to an extent. And I mean that only in so much as the out-of-the-box design that they've been using has now placed them in a new box.

I agree, but it's only stale when someone else does something better, right? The thing that I've always admired about Cadets is that they don't like to stick to a formula, per-say. They might repeat a formula a few years (92-93; 95-96; 97-97, etc), but they seem to bounce around in such a way that it's hard to predict what they will do next. I mean, they did a freaking Christmas show last year for gob's sake!

Conversely, Blue Devils current dynasty run is similar to Cavaliers previous dynasty run: they found a formula that hits all the sheets in such a way that it's unique & being rewarded, and continue to design with that formula. While I really like BD's shows recently (some more than others), they feel fairly interchangeable from a formulaic standpoint. I'd say the same about Cavaliers during the time frame the OP mentions.

Now, that's not a bad thing at all: if something works, why radically mess with it? Blue Devils had their mid-late 90's dynasty going well, Cavaliers hit on a formula to beat them, and it took BD quite a few seasons to find their own winning, new "formula." When a corps hits their stride the way BD currently has, they're essentially throwing down the gauntlet to other corps to come up with the next big thing: and that only makes the activity better in the long run. This dynasty pushed Phantom 08 to perform their butts off and beat Devs, and Cadets 11 to come up with a great idea that also won. Crown seems to be struggling (not the best verbiage) to find their identity while also being consistently competitive at the top; while Crown has been very successful, and has been kept from winning DCI, they have produced some incredible programs that benefit all of us fans.

I'm excited to see what the next big thing is as far as design trends & innovations. Blue Devils are deservedly owning the activity now, but I agree with others that their formula is seemingly vulnerable to a great design + performance to end their run

• Like 3

Without deviation from the norm progress is not possible.

Thats simply nonsense. Since when does " deviation from the norm " always result in " progress " ?

History is replete of examples where deviation from the norm resulted in societal regression, not societal progress. Some changes indeed lead to progress. But the notion that " without deviation from the norm, progress is not possible", is frankly preposterous. The only thing we can say with certainty is that deviation from the norm consitutes what we can correctly call " change ". We can not call " deviation from the norm " consituting " progress " however. Sometimes there is progress, others times no progress. In fact, the deviation from the norm " can sometimes lead to regression, not progress. There are lots of people throughout history that unwittingly agreed to " change" and to eventually learn to " deviate from the norm " that was then established by their country's new rulers. Unfortunately however, millions wound up dead under their rulers " change " governance, and this situation can hardly be deemed human " progress " today in retrospect.

Edited by BRASSO
  • Like 1

I agree, but it's only stale when someone else does something better, right? The thing that I've always admired about Cadets is that they don't like to stick to a formula, per-say. They might repeat a formula a few years (92-93; 95-96; 97-97, etc), but they seem to bounce around in such a way that it's hard to predict what they will do next. I mean, they did a freaking Christmas show last year for gob's sake!

They certainly repeated the formula for the '97-97' years. They were literally identical shows! :tongue:/>

(Happen to be probably my favorite Cadet shows ever, so I don't mind seeing that year twice!)

• Like 1

Thats simply nonsense. Since when is " deviation from the norm " always result in " progress " ?

Except Flammaster did not say that. He said...

Without deviation from the norm progress is not possible.

....which is true. Sure, deviation from the current norm may also go in the other direction...or a sideways direction...but unless there is a deviation, progress is not possible. Just like without a deviation, regression is not possible. Sticking to the same old means you don't move in either direction.

If DCI were to "deviate from the norm" and force all corps to start in one endzone and exit out the other endzone like used to happen in my era, for instance, that would be a regression, but it would be a change from what is happening now.

Edited by MikeD
  • Like 1

Thats simply nonsense. Since when does " deviation from the norm " always result in " progress " ?

... Sometimes there is progress, others times no progress...

The opposite of pro is con, so the opposite of progress is congress.

just sayin'

• Like 1