New Haven Nook

Today the judging had more music captions and that brought The Bluecoats a LOT closer to Phantom. Color Guard (probably favoring Phantom) and Brass (probably favoring Bluecoats) should be pretty close between them-- I wonder if when they meet with a full group of judges who will lead.

Not comparing scores from other shows, but Phantom seems to be standing still score wise. Seems like the they should be progressing more.

Edited by srb30a

Connecticut Drums @ Southern Connecticut State University

Place Corps Score

World Class

1 The Cadets 79.700

2 Phantom Reg 74.500

3 Bluecoats 74.300

4 Boston 70.500

5 Jersey Surf 56.300

Open Class

1 Spartans 68.900

2 7th Regiment 66.600

3 Raiders 60.500

Nice bump in scores in 24 hours for Cadets and 7th Regiment.

Just got home from the show. First thought? Bluecoats. Wow. Just wow. Reminded me of a modern Suncoast Sound. And I love their marching style. Biggest pleasant surprises? Boston, after all the mixed rreviews here, and 7th, by far the most enjoyable of the three open corps. Maybe I'll do an actual review tomorrow - I promised a proud dad the scoop on the corps his kid teaches. Last thought for tonight - If Crown & BD are really 2 to 3 points better than Cadets, I, well, I just can't imagine. . .

• Like 1

Insta-reviewTM as I just got home as well, and must sleep for work:

Only got to see 4 corps, as I had my 4 kiddos with me (16, 13, 8, 6) and I didn't want to burn them out. Ironically, the two oldest left after only seeing 2 corps from the stands (16yo had some tummy troubles and 13yo accompanied her back to the car)

Surf: Dirty dirty dirty. Which is kinda to be expected, as this was only their 3rd full show. That said, a TON of fun and a TON of color. Much more challenging book than last year, with some high tempos. Visual program seems much better too (just not being performed well yet). Closer is tons of fun, will be a huge crowd pleaser all year. They went on after INT, so the Funk Pit rocked everyone through the break. Crowd loved it.

Bluecoats: WOW. Just WOW. ($1 to grenedasmoothie) We were on the (field) left of the stadium, so their parade block was right in front of us. Very cool! I didn't dig this show so much on my first view (Fan Network) but MAN is it fun in person.

Cadets: My favorite show from them since 2005. Not so much of the whiplash drill, but a very cohesive show, performed VERY well (already!). Knowing the August Surge that they are famous for, they could certainly be in Championship contention. I just don't know if the show has the overall demand of Crown and Devils (then again, I absolutely LOVE Crown this year, and Devils are starting to grow on me). Scores aside, I really, really love this Cadets offering.

Phantom: Beautiful. From the guard in their long "gowns" to start, to the cleanliness of the uniforms, this is a great corps. Really, really enjoyed the show. The sound was very good. Nimrod was epic, and had the added GE of a fireworks show going off behind the corps in the distance.

Unfortunately, I missed BAC as the kids were done, and I didn't want to bother those around us. I will see the same slate Wednesday in Bristol and Friday in Lynn, so I wasn't too broken up about missing some corps tonight. 8yo had Surf as his favorite. 6yo refused to pick a favorite because "they were all so good!".

Old man rant: I realize that body movement is the "in thing", but man it was kind of distracting tonight. It seemed that no one can actually stand still anymore for fear of losing points. Heck, Bluecoats even did the squat-twist-at-the-knee thing while they were standing on the bleachers that they have on the field. It is just too much, IMO. Phantom, more than anyone else, seemed to have it in there just to have it in there, and it was odd. (End of Rant)

Very much looking forward to seeing the shows again during the week (sans kidlets) Great job to all tonight!

Edited by OrlandoContraAlum
  • Like 3

Old man rant: I realize that body movement is the "in thing", but man it was kind of distracting tonight. It seemed that no one can actually stand still anymore for fear of losing points. Heck, Bluecoats even did the squat-twist-at-the-knee thing while they were standing on the bleachers that they have on the field. It is just too much, IMO. Phantom, more than anyone else, seemed to have it in there just to have it in there, and it was odd. (End of Rant)

I agree that it often looks silly! Does anyone know if corps have indeed been told by judges in recent years, "I'd have scored you higher if you added body movement to the standstill" (even if such movement adds nothing other than difficulty)?

Unfortunately, I missed BAC as the kids were done, and I didn't want to bother those around us. I will see the same slate Wednesday in Bristol and Friday in Lynn, so I wasn't too broken up

You sound like a good Dad.. thats the most important thing I take out of your mini review. :worthy:

• Like 2

You sound like a good Dad.. thats the most important thing I take out of your mini review. :worthy:/>

Thanks for that. I always want to include the kids, because the genuinely enjoy it. We have a chat before the show about how everyone around us paid good money to see the show, so we can't disturb them. They are REALLY good about it (in fact (warning: bragging ahead) when I brought the three youngest to this same show last year, everyone around us complimented the kids on their behavior). Thing is, they love the stuff that daddy does (I march with an Alumni corps) but at the same time, they are kids. What was funny both last year and this was the askance looks I got from others in the section. You know, the "WHY is he bringing so many little kids to the show?" Then, when we leave, the tune has certainly changed. That said, if this were my only chance to see corps live this year, they would have been home. I just love to share the stuff I love with them, and they really seem to enjoy it.

Most people who went to the Jackson show thought the spread between Cadets and Phantom/Bluecoats should have been 5 points. I am one of them.