A little rant for some staff

When I staff, I do the Dave Rorher hands in the pockets trick, so I can't be accused of coaching. Sometimes I do applaud when something the kids worked hard on comes off better than I anticipated, but get crazy? George Zingali was known for this, but I think George was one of those people who was forgivable. I remember him clearly going off his nut at a Two-Seven performance around 1981 at a DCI contest Hanover, PA.

And Jim Costello always looked like he was passing a kidney stone even when the Cabs were doing something that had the crowd going bat stuff.... :tongue: Never noticed until one of the last Carlisle shows and think it was my mom asked who that man by the end zone was. JC was pacing, standing straight, crouched down and all around with that intense look on his face. Kinda like and expectant parent and the "kid" was the show being performed.

And I don't want to know what "trick" Dave did with his hands in his pockets.... gotta watch out for those quiet ones.... :devil:

Edited by JimF-LowBari

When I saw the word effusive, I started shouting and jumping up and down ... ... what does it mean?

:unsure:/>

As long as your not "overtly" effusive, it probably means nothing.

And Jim Costello always looked like he was passing a kidney stone even when the Cabs were doing something that had the crowd going bat stuff.... :tongue: Never noticed until one of the last Carlisle shows and think it was my mom asked who that man by the end zone was. JC was pacing, standing straight, crouched down and all around with that intense look on his face. Kinda like and expectant parent and the "kid" was the show being performed.

It was interesting to see Cos and Bob Murray during the Cabs' performances.

Cos would do as you said in your post... and Bob would stand somewhere around the 25-yard line or so to watch the corps.

I never remember either one of them standing near the 50 to watch their corps.

It was interesting to see Cos and Bob Murray during the Cabs' performances.

Cos would do as you said in your post... and Bob would stand somewhere around the 25-yard line or so to watch the corps.

I never remember either one of them standing near the 50 to watch their corps.

jim was always in the back corner ...white baseball cap on......proud Papa.....as far as guards ...we've all been guilty of it at sometime and some are really in excess....I think it was more BITD but I do know ( as another posted ) that some believe that it encourages their kids...I know with some programs it is the case. I myself have had reactions from kids saying " I noticed when you jumped up and down" or were we bad? yOu look mad and quiet..............usually my answer was WHY YOU LOOKIN AT ME! ..PROJECT TO THE JUDGES OR TOP......LOL

I think in some cases it can be staff ego..in other cases it's just encouragement. Like everyting to much of one thing may not be a good idea..lol....members do look for approval from their staff, especially young members.

Edited by GUARDLING
  • Like 1

Man I miss Dave Rohrer, one of my favorite brass guys in the activity. I've never thought he got enough press for what he accomplished out at WestShore. If he had done that at Sky he would have been made King of New Jersey for life.

The "Dave WHO!?" incident still makes a lot of us laugh, especially Dave. I think everyone figured out who he was when the Blue Coats started to be relevant in DCI BITD.

A lot of interesting stuff so far, ate my share popcorn reading this, but I have to go back to work for night shift. :satisfied:

I do have an answer to the intellectual comment, or lack thereof.... I find that rather fascinating. No time, I type slow.

I think a lot of you guys are digging too far into this. If you go to a winter guard show, it is common for the crowd to clap and cheer several times during a show whether it be a toss or a drill move that is particularly interesting. Since this issue is mostly with guard staff I believe it is just habit to do it from being a winter instructor. That doesn't make it any less annoying but I really don't think it is a cry for personal attention.

oh even in indoor, the staff doesit far more than the crowd.

says the guy who has given coaching penalties

• Like 2

At indoor championships in Wildwood, it gets worse every year. It was to the point where the screamers were screaming before a toss was made, then had to quiet down pretty quickly when a toss was dropped. It's very annoying to have this constant high-pitched screaming practically every time a guard member on the floor moves his or her arm. It seems they think they're influencing the judges. Can't imagine the judges need the audience's help to know when something is done well or is false hype. This happens at every level, novice to world class.

worse, they hide in thecrowd so you can't see them and warn/penalize them.

• Like 1

jim was always in the back corner ...white baseball cap on......proud Papa.....

Show I mentioned he was just past the right hand end zone. If he usually was in the back corner, then that explains why I neve noticed him before. And yes, white ballcap....

Hmm. This is not an intellectual activity, supposedly.

Whether anyone realizes it, it always has been. More than some people seem to realize.

Find Larry Scott's Student Prince solo. It's out there. Listen to it, and his musicianship is VERY noticeable. You can't tell me there's not intellect involved, 1950's, Reilly Raiders.

Frank's podcasts are chock full of some great, high quality stuff from BITD. There's intellect involved.

Where competition is involved, intellect is there. People want to win. They think hard about how they can win. Racing evolved automobiles. Same with Corps.

I'll also add the whole Effect Triad here. Effect is considered to have three elements:

Emotional

Aesthetic

And... wow! Intellectual.

The more you have all three interacting in a program, guess what? People like it more. Those shows score higher.

I can come up with examples of all these Effect triad things from different eras,, but I have to eat before work and didn't want to throw up a text wall. I do know some folks are saying "Preach on, you baritone playing freak!!!" about the fact that this certainly does involve intellect, and also, guess what? More then just jumping up and down and screaming to generate effect. ALL emotions factor in. I know anyone from '90's era Bush will be applauding on that little comment. Also, anyone from Bucs and the top echelon DCA corps, period.

My fave part in last year's Bucs show that I think of often when I'm half dead at work? The ballad. A moment of perfect beauty and deep emotions from within. Just sayin'.

I suppose it's about that time to start nit-picking over stupid little things. Here's a newsflash...these groups bust their butts practicing weekend after weekend to perform for a crowd. Having been a long time performer myself, the performing group does in fact hear, and respond to the crowd. Part of the problem is that we as an audience become so reserved as to applaud for what we think is an acceptable applause point. There are just horn line people in the stands, along with just drum line or color guard people watching and appreciating. We all have different opinions of WHAT to cheer for. Get over it...it is crowd response...so what if it is from the guard staff, they are apart of the crowd too.

Instead of complaining about the guard staff responding to their show, why not start a thread about the show host educating and enforcing the "do not stand or leave during a corps performance." That has always been and will always be my #1 complaint about the Bridgeport show. I get it, the crowd is made up of inexperienced corps viewers, but still...can we make an announcement, maybe have ushers in the stands, a sign or two...something?

That's all. stepping down off my soapbox.