Soul Surfing!

I introduced Drum Corps to my girlfriend last year, and besides my Oregon Crusaders (required of course haha) Jersey Surf was her favorite Corps.

I really hope that by championships they are a solid group, I really enjoyed seeing her get into specific shows. :music:

Last year on July 3 the corps scored a 66.0. Like last year, tonight's show in Bristol, RI will be the corps' fourth of the season. I'm willing to wait and see if the folks there talk more about their score or how much they were thoroughly entertained.

To be fair, Surf didn't have move-ins until 18 days ago. I think the main issue you're seeing is that Surf just isn't on the same schedule as the top tier of World Class. Same thing with Oregon and Cascades. Surf is taking some time off after the next few shows. I'm sure they will come back cleaner after they have more time to focus on working the show.

To be fair, Surf didn't have move-ins until 18 days ago. I think the main issue you're seeing is that Surf just isn't on the same schedule as the top tier of World Class. Same thing with Oregon and Cascades. Surf is taking some time off after the next few shows. I'm sure they will come back cleaner after they have more time to focus on working the show.

I won't comment on the quality of the production, as I'm mostly in the "I am entertained" camp, but I will say that even with only 18 days of move-ins, the show is written at a fairly easy/achievable level, to which I feel 18 days of move-ins is sufficient assuming the proper work has been put in at the monthly camps leading up to summer.

It's really not even early season dirt though... it's a bad basic foundation of brass playing. Ensemble timing doesn't even exist. It is concerning.. especially for a show this achievable.

i'm usually a big fan of surf, but i have a hard time even being part of the "i am entertained" group when it's virtually a 10 minute ensemble tear. 18 days of move-ins should be plenty of time for the corps to at least learn how to play together. they rarely start and stop together. rough.

• Like 3

I felt this way last year in Jackson, when they showed no attention to detail or performance excellence IN WARM UPS. If you can't play attacks and releases clean in a semi circle after 18 days of spring training and at least 6 camps...well...enough said. The battery warm up was no better. I wasn't in the lot this year in Jackson, but the showing on the field was no better. I agree with the OP, it's on the staff to do better.

Last year on July 3 the corps scored a 66.0. Like last year, tonight's show in Bristol, RI will be the corps' fourth of the season. I'm willing to wait and see if the folks there talk more about their score or how much they were thoroughly entertained.

As far as I can tell its not a matter of score its just a matter of the execution getting in the way of what is an otherwise entertaining show (for some people).

I introduced Drum Corps to my girlfriend last year, and besides my Oregon Crusaders (required of course haha) Jersey Surf was her favorite Corps.

I really hope that by championships they are a solid group, I really enjoyed seeing her get into specific shows. music.gif

My wife came to her 1st show the other night. Her favorite was Surf as well.