Soul Surfing!

I get the feeling there's an entertaining non-drum corps story behind that reference. I, for one, would like to hear it.

Trust me on this one...it's better we let it drop.

• Like 1

I am addressing the following paragraph in regards to the entire activity...not one corps.

If a performance of what should be an entertaining show is so sub-par that fans notice the performance more than they can appreciate the entertainment, then I believe the entertainment value would be diminished. If the fans notice the entertainment value and can appreciate the performance in close to equal degrees, then I believe the show will be overall entertaining to them.

It's a delicate balance. Last year, Surf was not close to being one of the best performing corps. However, they were good enough that fans could focus on the entertainment value, which was through the roof.

We've also had corps that performed amazingly well and were about as entertaining and interesting as fishing a wayward golf ball out of a bowl of clam dip. Both performance quality and entertainment value have to be within a range of "good enough" for fans to not be bogged down in their appreciation. At that point, personal taste comes into play. (No...I will not provide examples. I like my job.)

What he said. :withstupid:

• Like 1

So Surf's up twelve points in seven days. (Jackson, June 28: 52.4 >>> Lynn, July 5: 64.7).

If they keep up that pace, they'll score a 122 in Prelims on August 8. :blink:

They are a little behind their score at this point last year, when they got a 66.9 at Quincy on July 6, but they had only improved four points in seven days.

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

Link to discussion threads for all 2013 World Class corps

• Like 1

I was there tonight, but only saw the show from the end zone. That said, they seemed a LOT tighter tonight. I know (from speaking with them) that the staff kicked their ### the last couple of days. They still have a long way to go, but they are trying something a LOT harder than what they did last year, especially visually. And, the kids still seem to be having a great time, so there's that!

• Like 2

• 3 weeks later...

It seems like, at this rate, they'll end up at around the same place they were at last year. But considering the standard they set in 2012 for themselves and the vet retention, that's unacceptable. I really hope they pull it together for the next two regionals.

Edited by MetalTones2012
  • Like 1

It seems like, at this rate, they'll end up at around the same place they were at last year. But considering the standard they set in 2012 for themselves and the vet retention, that's unacceptable. I really hope they pull it together for the next two regionals.

Well, I think "unacceptable" is a pretty harsh word to use here. The kids are still having a blast, and the show that I saw from San Antonio was light years better than the shows I saw in New Haven and Lynn. They will be fine.

EDIT: By the way, I have heard a lot about "vet retention", but I don't know how accurate that is. I know that the Tubas have 2 vets and 8 rooks. Granted, I know nothing else, but that's pretty low for a section.

Edited by OrlandoContraAlum
  • Like 1

I love love love what Jersey Surf is doing! Super entertaining shows. Fun for the kids, the fans, it's a win-win. Their show adds variety to Drum Corps and I really don't see how people could complain about that. I don't need to see a bunch of corps playing the same classical re-used music . Sure they were bad at first but they got it together last year and are getting it this year. They are figuring out their niche in the activity.

I am glad that Surf is here and pray that they develop a niche of great shows that are different ala Bridgemania-ish. I saw them last night and they have a crowd pleasing show this year but the execution and performance levels left me hoping and wanting more.

Not a complaint but more of an observation. My attention for the first part of the show was on a brass player that I had hoped was still learning the show as he appeared to struggle to march the show. Many missed visuals , several times he appeared to guess what was next. Maybe a kid who filled a spot Late season and is still learning the show?

I like the color and desire the corps is developing and can't wait for surf to develop.

Thank you Surf. You are what Drum corps needs. I am your fan!

Edited by TxBigfoot

I love love love what Jersey Surf is doing! Super entertaining shows. Fun for the kids, the fans, it's a win-win. Their show adds variety to Drum Corps and I really don't see how people could complain about that. I don't need to see a bunch of corps playing the same classical re-used music . Sure they were bad at first but they got it together last year and are getting it this year. They are figuring out their niche in the activity.

Yes, Surf changed their style of show last year, or as some have noted, returned to their Open Class days when they could have some original and entertaining shows. They have not changed their goal of providing a quality drum corps experience to kids who really want to be in drum corps. I also have to come to their defense in that they were "bad" in the past. Now if you mean "bad" as in good, I'll agree, but if you are using bad as lousy, I'd have to disagree. Their shows could be generic, but I never got the impression the marching members gave anything less than their best.