Warrensburg, MO TOC Smackdown!

I understand your point. But you're judging finals performances of Star/SCV with an early July version of Cadets 2013. Performance level is pretty high for Cadets at this point of season but I guess tomorrow and Saturday are close enough that we just can wait. Ultimately in zingy, Cadets should be 1-2

I think most of us are picking Cadets in either 2nd or 3rd tomorrow night - so we agree on more than we disagree on

I guess the "difference" is the perceived gap with SCV -- and we'll know that in 26 hours or so

I think most of us are picking Cadets in either 2nd or 3rd tomorrow night - so we agree on more than we disagree on

I guess the "difference" is the perceived gap with SCV -- and we'll know that in 26 hours or so

Not really. Many of "US" are picking The Cadets to win it with their superior design.

• Like 1

Not really. Many of "US" are picking The Cadets to win it with their superior design.

well - I'm picking them to win in Indy. I guess I was talking about "most" in this thread thinking they would no longer be undefeated tomorrow night

I wouldn't be shocked if they won tomorrow, or unhappy, just think Crown looks a little head of them in Guard, Brass & Visual GE... at this stage...

I suppose this is where we disagree. I believe the musical selections they're playing are each masterpieces in their own rights (and were when arranged in 93 by Star, and 99/00 by Vanguard) but at the moment the pieces seem to be strung together haphazardly. The music is very choppy from section to section for me, though each section is played at a high level. This is why I feel their Music GE will be lacking. This could also be due to the fact that two of my favorite shows are Star 93 and SCV 99 so I have those arrangements permafried in my brain, but that's the risk they took. By the end of the season I see them gold or silver, but right now probably 3rd and followed very closely by SCV.

...but I'm no judge, just my opinion. winky.gif

I'm no judge either, but it sure seems musical choppiness or haphazardness (is that a word?) was not a factor in 2010 or 2012 for BD. I couldn't for the most part find any melody or continuity. For last year, the Satie was an exception.

• Like 1

If you see them live you'll change your mind.

you're prolly right about that.

I'm no judge either, but it sure seems musical choppiness or haphazardness (is that a word?) was not a factor in 2010 or 2012 for BD. I couldn't for the most part find any melody or continuity. For last year, the Satie was an exception.

BD 2012 was amazing for me! It was probably the best show they've put together since the first 7 minutes of 2007 (the end was a bit stale when preceded by the intense beginning imo). I'll agree that music alone would have made the show choppy or seemingly haphazard, but the narration and visual in addition to the music is what made it one perfectly congruent thought; ergo, world champion GE. The Cadets show still looks like a few pieces of music played masterfully with really good drill, but I feel I could come in or leave at any time and feel as though I understand/haven't missed part of the story or point they're trying to get across. Sooooooo..... I still stand by my opinion that CURRENTLY the cadets music/vis GE < crown or bd's music/vis GE. I also still stand by my opinion that it's not the corps that is less than, but the vehicle at the moment. I could be horribly wrong though, and we'll find out in less than 20 hours. w00t.gif

So you're saying you base the success on a certain corps on the music another corps played prior to that corps?

No, I'm saying if you sing a song by Whitney Houston on a talent show, you'll be compared to Whitney Houston. There's a certain level of greatness one must achieve if they're going to tackle an iconic musical selection or three... Ever heard the phrase, "you have some big shoes to fill"? I feel as though it applies. Again... I think The Cadets are amazing and are going to place top 3, I mean no disrespect I'm just voicing an opinion - and their success has nothing to do with my opinion.

No, I'm saying if you sing a song by Whitney Houston on a talent show, you'll be compared to Whitney Houston. There's a certain level of greatness one must achieve if they're going to tackle an iconic musical selection or three... Ever heard the phrase, "you have some big shoes to fill"? I feel as though it applies. Again... I think The Cadets are amazing and are going to place top 3, I mean no disrespect I'm just voicing an opinion - and their success has nothing to do with my opinion.

I agree with you that they have some huge shoes to fill and I had the exact same concern earlier in the season. Couldn't help but hear Star '93 and SCV '99. But they have continued to make this material their own.

I haven't completely forgotten about Star and SCV (nor would I want to). But Cadets' take on this is starting to become it's own beast.

And they are playing the #### out of it.

Not to interrupt the Cadets thread, and of course, the Cadets deserve much respect...but I'm predicting a new champion this year. tongue.gif

• Like 1