What's going on with Blue Devils 2013?

It is for them. Some of the members that I've known over the years don't consider the year successful unless they win at the end of it. So second or third is a down year for them

That's a sad way to live life. Can't always be the "best" at anything.

That is not the way the staff or the members feel as a whole. Sure, you're dealing with teens here, they want to win and some of them probably aren't mature enough to have learned the lessons that we wiser, older members and staff have. But in general, we all teach them to enjoy the competition and make the best out of yourself, to push beyond what you think you possibly can. If you come out at the end of the season a better player, better physically fit, a better leader, just a better person - then you've won. I worked for BD during a time when we had a bronze, 3 silvers, a 4th, and 1 gold. They were the happiest years of my life, don't really care what place we got. :rolleyes:/>

• Like 4

That is not the way the staff or the members feel as a whole. Sure, you're dealing with teens here, they want to win and some of them probably aren't mature enough to have learned the lessons that we wiser, older members and staff have. But in general, we all teach them to enjoy the competition and make the best out of yourself, to push beyond what you think you possibly can. If you come out at the end of the season a better player, better physically fit, a better leader, just a better person - then you've won. I worked for BD during a time when we had a bronze, 3 silvers, a 4th, and 1 gold. They were the happiest years of my life, don't really care what place we got. :rolleyes:/>/>

100% agree with this. It sounds like nothing has changed in THIS department since I marched in the 80's.

Do you know Dave? I mean KNOW Dave? Did you guy's march together? Was he a leader in your corps as your were growing up and coming into your own manhood? I am just asking because you seem to believe you know a great deal about him in this discussion forum.

Really? Beacuse when I read the post you are replying to, I see no such declarations. In fact, I only see one sentence speculating any such knowledge - the idea that Gibbs would place priority on the survival of the organization he runs - so unless you dispute THAT, what could possibly be your issue?

I marched with Dave, was taught by Dave and have spent a great deal of time with him both near and away from the activity. He was intense and we didn't always get along all the time, but I did have a deep respect for him and he for me, as is the case when bull elephants collide. I find it a little more than humorous that you have made decisions about Dave and his intent by deciding what he meant by virtue of a 3rd party mis-quoted posting of what he might have said from someones memory of a 2009 statement that Dave supposedly made in front of a group! Awesome...

So if you think Plan9 is misquoting Gibbs:

a. Take it up with him, not Garfield.

b. Let us know what Gibbs really said.

Edited by cixelsyd

I get this point, Mike, but let's be realistic. Dave's challenge is to how best to best use nearly twice as much income as he needs to put on his show, take care of his kids (darn well, thank you), grow his franchise, branch out around the world, get vets in front of TV and movie cameras, etc.

I find it hard to relate that type of challenge to the one that Glassmen, BAC, Phantom, etc face when struggling to earn enough to just compete in the same league.

When Dave took over as the director of the Blue Devils from Mike Moxely, he took over a pretty stable little drum corps business operation... He then turned it into a monster that supports many many youth groups. I guess you couldn't see how Dave might actually be able to assist someone in the growing of their organization since he now runs a huge one? Having been there would give Mr. Gibbs a special insight to the problems one will encounter when trying to grow their non-profit, at least that is how I would see it. I suppose there is also the negative thought people out there that he is being snarky about it and that he really intends to ruin all of drum corps.

I take nothing from BD. They deserve every bit of the respect and kudos they get. I've witnessed first-hand the dominant emphasis they put on their kids' well-being - there is much they do that others can do, and do.

Now, if Dave said "Hey, I know you can't do bingo in your area, but here's a revenue idea that I think could be just as big for your group and, if you'll let me, I'll help you get it rolling", I'd say the advice is globally applicable.

Do you have first hand knowledge that this isn't the approach that Dave took?

I also think Dave and his staff are solely focused on not allowing his corps, and this activity, to die on his watch. I may disagree or not with his methods, but I don't doubt for a moment that it's his sole reason for every decision he makes. Ironically, that's the best advice Dave can offer anyone else, IMO.

I don't doubt that it's his sole reason for every decision he makes? I thought he was planning on starting his own drum corps company with Mr. Hopkins... At least that is the type of thing I read on these pages...

Why are you so defensive about me giving so much credit to Dave? What I know about Dave, or him about me, is none of your concern. What would be more pertinent would be you sharing how anything that I said is incorrect.

Lighten up, man. I didn't accuse him or call him a devil or something.

:thumbup:/>/>/>

Did I shed some light on the assumptions you made that you are calling truths?

Garfield's comments are entirely about Blue Devils' financial situation which is miles above pretty much every other corps in DCI. Dave Gibbs is unlikely to have much practical advice to offer the rest of the league in terms of the financial situation. Not sure what your beef is, or how it relates to your relationship with Dave.

My beef is with armchair quarterbacks 2nd guessing the only guy who seems to have a highly successful non-profit that touches hundreds of kids every year deciding what his motivations are. I know Dave and I understand where he is coming from. It is a far more positive place than ascribed to him by "those who believe themselves to be in the know"

No you can't always be the best... But you can strive to be the best at everything you do each and every time you do it, and that is sad? Did you know that humans are the only living things that do not ALWAYS live up to their full potential based on their environment? Have you ever seen a tree that didn't dig it's roots as deep as it possibly could and then stretch it's limbs as high and wide as possible, not produce every leaf possible and not produce as much fruit as possible? We are different than plants and animals because we were blessed with the ability to choose... Maybe to those who have never experienced the excitement of actually being the best, it is a fleeting thing or some distant feeling or perhaps something conceptual. If you have tasted it, you want to taste it again... It is kind of like a mini version of drum corps. If it has to be explained, you wouldn't understand..

Really? Beacuse when I read the post you are replying to, I see no such declarations. In fact, I only see one sentence speculating any such knowledge - the idea that Gibbs would place priority on the survival of the organization he runs - so unless you dispute THAT, what could possibly be your issue?

Please read my previous responses and have a great day! :devil:/>

When Dave took over as the director of the Blue Devils from Mike Moxely, he took over a pretty stable little drum corps business operation... He then turned it into a monster that supports many many youth groups.

That may be - but the organization was already supporting several youth groups prior to Gibbs becoming director, namely the three drum corps field programs, the twirling corps, winter guard, and the Blue Devils Music School.

Why are you so defensive about me giving so much credit to Dave? What I know about Dave, or him about me, is none of your concern. What would be more pertinent would be you sharing how anything that I said is incorrect.

Lighten up, man. I didn't accuse him or call him a devil or something.

Did I shed some light on the assumptions you made that you are calling truths?

No, you're just digging yourself further in. Garfield wrote a post that was very appreciative of Gibbs's work, adding only as a caveat that some of Gibbs's experiences, preeminently having the benefit funds from a successful bingo operation, might make his advice inapplicable to some other groups (like the Glassmen, whose bingo funding source went under)--that, as Plan9 said in response, some well-meant advice will not work for all corps. You chose to read garfield's kindly post as some sort of attack on Gibbs, and your further responses don't help your case. The following in particular is off-base:

I also think Dave and his staff are solely focused on not allowing his corps, and this activity, to die on his watch. I may disagree or not with his methods, but I don't doubt for a moment that it's his sole reason for every decision he makes. Ironically, that's the best advice Dave can offer anyone else, IMO.

I don't doubt that it's his sole reason for every decision he makes? I thought he was planning on starting his own drum corps company with Mr. Hopkins... At least that is the type of thing I read on these pages...

Do you not understand that what garfield writes there is praise for Gibbs? Or if you do, why are you dredging up what other people may have said about Gibbs's motivations when responding to garfield?

• Like 1

I thought he was planning on starting his own drum corps company with Mr. Hopkins... At least that is the type of thing I read on these pages...

It's called "Music in Motion Performing Arts, Inc". It was incorporated by David Gibbs on April 19, 2012.

See CorporationWiki for the basic details.

The State of California has information here (although at the moment the servers are down for me).

The Colts stated in their October 7, 2012 minutes (available on their website): "DCI report – G7 is now a non-profit, incorporated entity; G7 shows with only their corps now being scheduled."

And finally the letter from the G7 corps to the Board of Directors, written by George Hopkins, and shared with DCP in January of this year, states: "Three of the events are managed by corps in the “7”, the others are owned by our corporation, Music in Motion (“MIM”). Music in Motion is a California Corporation. We have filed for nonprofit status, and we are awaiting approval. Pat Seidling, a very part time administrator for MIM as the association’s director, and volunteers have done most of the work. We have insurance, bank accounts and all necessary requirements to operate at a basic level; however our organization is in the early stages."

I see no way to deny that Dave and Mr Hopkins have indeed formed their own drum corps company to compete with DCI. The rest of the letter is far more specific about exactly what their plans are. If you haven't read it, you should.

• Like 1

He doesn't know....he wasn't there (obviously). I was. This isn't to suggest the BBB doesn't have a personal history with D.G., I don't really care.

I was merely responding with an anecdotal recollection in response to Brasso's personal comment about Gibbs. That's it. I don't know the man or care to speak for him...but IMO, he's a good guy that both loves his organization, the people in it and the activity. We all need to decompress a bit on here. No one's opinion is more valid than anyone else's.

Edited by Plan9

I don't know the man or care to speak for him, but, IMO, he's a good guy that both loves his organization, the people in it and the activity.

Right. This is just what garfield said, too.