Cadets Audience Accessibility

After watching the DCI MN performance live, I have to admit I felt very shortchanged on the show. Not on the content of the show, but some of the design choices;

We all know that much of any show design works towards the Finals performance. I think we get that it can result to acoustics in a dome, or staging elements from a press box vantage point. But I was put off a quite a bit by the "access" of Cadets' show. I enjoy sitting in the lower tier so I am able to grasp some of the performance elements up close from the individual members and connect to their energy.

Many attempts have been made in the last decade to define the field with large props, scaffolds and stages. But with Cadets giant towers, I think it was the first time that major portions of the show were not even visible to me. The opening statement (since I was sitting on Side 1 and not Side 2), the drum feature on the back hash, the emergence of the orange flag backfield. Even sections that were happening directly in front of me masked everything behind the columns. On and on - several major moments.

I guess I felt cheated and am wondering if anyone else has felt as much on live viewings? Especially in smaller venues that are not a major stadium like TCF. Sort of like buying a high end ticket to a Broadway show. You are at least told when you are in a seat with an obstructed view. Judges comments will not likely ever mention this. But for any audience person in the lower tier - there are major portions of this show that aren't visible unless you are in a cushy seat center in the press box. This will also include Lucas stadium in Indy. Thoughts?

• Like 5

First off, The Cadets show is probably tied with Crown's for my favorite of the season. In love their selections and brass. I think visual is spectacular.

However, when I saw them live in Warrensburg, I hated the towers. Not only did I find them distracting, but they also blocked my view. I was lower down on the 45 and couldn't see the other half of the field for a lot of the show which was really disappointing.

I'm pretty sure they were designed solely for judges. Perhaps they are effective from the press box right on the 50, but the majority of DCI fans can't get seats quite like that.

Edited by Phan

I haven't seen the show live in person, but be that as it may -- one could view it as an interesting design choice, that you could be seeing a different show on Side 1 versus another guy sitting on Side 2, and if you're lucky enough to be high up in a big stadium, you see both. One would hope, though, that everyone could see SOMETHING of interest all/most of the time.

When they announced the show idea way back, before we really knew about the towers, I thought they would try to design the music and drill/visual so that the show would look different based on where you sat in the stadium, and I thought that would be pretty cool if pulled off! *cough* I had actually thought of it last fall *cough* :cool:

First off, The Cadets show is probably tied with Crown's for my favorite of the season

For me, Cadets show is probably tied with Crossmen for most disappointing of the season.

• Like 4

After watching the DCI MN performance live, I have to admit I felt very shortchanged on the show. Not on the content of the show, but some of the design choices;

We all know that much of any show design works towards the Finals performance. I think we get that it can result to acoustics in a dome, or staging elements from a press box vantage point. But I was put off a quite a bit by the "access" of Cadets' show. I enjoy sitting in the lower tier so I am able to grasp some of the performance elements up close from the individual members and connect to their energy.

Many attempts have been made in the last decade to define the field with large props, scaffolds and stages. But with Cadets giant towers, I think it was the first time that major portions of the show were not even visible to me. The opening statement (since I was sitting on Side 1 and not Side 2), the drum feature on the back hash, the emergence of the orange flag backfield. Even sections that were happening directly in front of me masked everything behind the columns. On and on - several major moments.

I guess I felt cheated and am wondering if anyone else has felt as much on live viewings? Especially in smaller venues that are not a major stadium like TCF. Sort of like buying a high end ticket to a Broadway show. You are at least told when you are in a seat with an obstructed view. Judges comments will not likely ever mention this. But for any audience person in the lower tier - there are major portions of this show that aren't visible unless you are in a cushy seat center in the press box. This will also include Lucas stadium in Indy. Thoughts?

shows have always been written for the box or top of the stadium ..even BITD..there are many instances for a number of reasons when even BITD you couldnt see much until you got way up

• Like 1

I saw them in Jackson, NJ a relatively small highschool stadium. It didn't seem to be a problem to me. The show is constantly evolving on the g

Field and the towers are moved around so different perspectives of the show are in view. Really no different from a large field coverage show from low seats. . Where do I look now? I would imagine BD's show to look very cluttered from a low vantage point with white poles all over the place but from up top, it's an amazing effect...

I posted the same problem on DCP when I saw them in Bristol, RI; don't get caught sitting too low or you will miss some of the "Other Sides" of their show. It was disappointing to me.

Mitch

I do like the color that the towers bring to the field. However, my concern is if the towers cover some of the guard work. I saw some neat guard work being done behind the towers and I don't know if that gets picked up.

I haven't seen it live, but I'm not seeing the Side-by-Side concept relating to the Barber theme. My sense is that the design staff said "Sure, Boss" to Hopkin's Side-by-Side idea, then did a Barber show with just enough Side-by-Side elements to appease him.

There's a really gorgeous part about half way through when the corps moves from far left to near right bringing a long wavy line with it (as I recall). The music there is really wonderful.

However, mixing Adagio and Medea is a terrible idea. You've got moods of cathartic rage and profound sadness bouncing back and forth like a ping pong ball, and it doesn't work for me at all.

• Like 4

I think this year's show is a masterpiece. I 'got it' the first time I saw it live a couple of weeks ago. But I'll admit that on this weekend's live webcast, it loses a lot of it's effect, and is not as impressive a production.

On the other hand, I have only seen Crown's show via live webcast, and think this show is absolutely incredible. So I can only imagine what the show must be like to see and hear live (sadly, I won't get the chance). Cadets show is very clean and is performed very well. Crown's show still is dirty, but it seems they have not improved 'the dirt' much from when I saw them in June. So if Crown can't clean this show up, while the cadets continue to improve their show, Cadets could take the title running away. IMO - the Cadets shouldn't change a thing, especially the closer, which I think is brilliant! One of my favorite DCI moments ever.

Blue Devils show continues to grow on me. I think as they continue to up their performance level, they will have a good chance to pass Crown as well.

So I feel bad for Crown if they can't clean their show...because their production is s real winner.

• Like 2