Denton, TX

SCV's take on it seems pretty fresh to me. I don't tend to think of Cadets 1989 when I watch it. Surely there is more to being derivative than basing a show on a same set of source material as another corps based their show on.

I can't speak for Cadets show this year as I am not that familiar enough with the other shows but if it is also a fresh approach then yes, I see your point. :smile:/>

Cadets show this year is much less similar to the 93Star/99SCV programs than SCV is to 89 Cadets - but none of them are that similar. I just found the "double standard" interesting :tongue:

• Like 1

Hey Jeff...

Great comments. From someone that has judged and is a long time educator I can say this. Drum Corps is so different from any other the marching arts. Marketing is so important as it is how the activity continues to grow. With the advent of FN and Social Media DCI is best served when u have scoring intrigue between multiple title contenders and finalist contenders! It's a jackpot. That said, all those groups are worthy no doubt. I don't believe it's a conspiracy so much as common sense that from time to time a victory from an underdog shakes it up. Look at this forum alone and you'd think the world is coming to a fiery end when BD wins. I think the judges get it right and also do a great job with a subjective art. That said, its human opinion and influence so things sometimes turn a different way;)

Oh trust me...I wasn't happy with the last few BD wins, but I get why they won.

The beauty of this year is actually in the recaps. People are judging their sheet, and then math adds up to create winners and losers. different corps winning different captions...it makes it tight. and interesting.

Part of the problem is, DCI has really only had a real race in 2007, 2008 and 2011 in the last several years. When it comes to marketing, sheet technical excellence isn't going to put ##### in the seats. Entertainment value is.

But entertainment value is only a portion of general effect. There have been many times I've judged GE and not liked a show as a fan, but I had it up on my sheet because it met the criteria. That is what has helped BD in those years...they met the criteria.

But when a corps wins all summer, by a lot, and the show isn't popular, then every Oliver Stone with a DCP login comes in and assigns blame and creates conspiracies.

• Like 4

I'm sure he's very qualified and so forth, but in my experience, his tapes are just worthless. 10 minutes of "Good job!" "Yeah." "Good."

wow...I'd kill for a tape like that from Marty. I guess that means we neededto work on stuff...and we did...and he gave great feedback on how to go about it

engaged can come in many forms.Remember the triad of effect is the emotional, the aesthetic and the intellectual. Not all of them require the crowd to do anything but sit there. BD has obviously gone down the super intellectual path ( I prefer Cesario's faux intellectualism line), and just touching on the other two from time to time. as the sheets work, it works for them. Personally, the show that hits all parts of the triad equally should be the highest GE scoring show, but that's not how it works in general.

And lets face it...BD isn't programming to us. So our reactions mean little to the design team. Sure they and the kids will compain and FTW etc if the crowd doesnt gush over them, but it's been obvious for 5 years they are on this path and don't care or something would have changed

I often wondered over the years whether you really believe this #### Jeff. This is perhaps one of the most uninformed statements (and wrong I might add) that you continually trot out. You don't know this....and it is an unnecessarily mean and provocative notion. In all of my contact with these kids and their staff over the years, I have never heard a single word from any of them that could be remotely construed to suggest this....it just isn't true. I have the greatest respect for your knowledge and what you add to this forum...but this bewilders me.

• Like 4

I often wondered over the years whether you really believe this #### Jeff. This is perhaps one of the most uninformed statements (and wrong I might add) that you continually trot out. You don't know this....and it is an unnecessarily mean and provocative notion. In all of my contact with these kids and their staff over the years, I have never heard a single word from any of them that could be remotely construed to suggest this....it just isn't true. I have the greatest respect for your knowledge and what you add to this forum...but this bewilders me.

You can take the blue tinted glasses off and come back to the real world now.

• Like 1

wow...I'd kill for a tape like that from Marty. I guess that means we neededto work on stuff...and we did...and he gave great feedback on how to go about it

Marty's tapes are some of the most educational out there. He's almost as good at this as Nola Jones is (the queen of educational tapes, bar none)

Marty's tapes are some of the most educational out there. He's almost as good at this as Nola Jones is (the queen of educational tapes, bar none)

Hmm. Maybe we just got him on a couple of bad nights or something, who knows.

Part of the problem is, DCI has really only had a real race in 2007, 2008 and 2011 in the last several years. When it comes to marketing, sheet technical excellence isn't going to put ##### in the seats. Entertainment value is.

Hmm...technical excellence is what I find entertaining. Guess I'm weird.

• Like 1

well Plan, the other year in Allentown I posted how I was right there hearing their staff trash the crowd for not gushing over them and comments from adult and kids alike.

it's ok though. drink the kool aid

Hmm...technical excellence is what I find entertaining. Guess I'm weird.

weird no. the average fan....no