Blue Devils Poles

Rumor has it that the Blue Devils white tree poles will soon become lit up LED poles.....

Go check out the lights at www.fridaynightbandlights.com. What are they creating "The

Lighted Enchanted Forest"?

While such lighting is permitted in WGI, I don't think it can be done without penalties in DCI under current rules. (Calling Tony DiCarlo....)

Otherwise some units would have already been copying what Western Carolina State did with them with their snare line. (sorry can't find the video link at the moment.)

Besides, Sideways on the Cadets thread has a different idea about such poles, towers, and props should be used for: "Hide stripper poles in the boxes. New ending is the drop the fabric to reveal the guard on the poles and play techno remix of Adagio! The GE would be legendary!"

• Like 1

So that idea is gaining momentum! :cool:

• Like 1

I may be in the minority, but I think it'd make a really cool effect. If it's true, hopefully it happens at the Atlanta show.

• Like 3

I'm not aware of any rule that would disallow lighting. Anyway, Boston used lighting under their sheets in the Les Mis show in 2011. You can see them throughout under the sheet, though it's hard to tell, but you can see them turn off at 9:41 in the FN Finals multicam video. I'm not sure how well lighting effects would come across under stadium lights in any case. The Boston lights didn't really add anything best I can tell.

• Like 1

I'm not aware of any rule that would disallow lighting. Anyway, Boston used lighting under their sheets in the Les Mis show in 2011. You can see them throughout under the sheet, though it's hard to tell, but you can see them turn off at 9:41 in the FN Finals multicam video. I'm not sure how well lighting effects would come across under stadium lights in any case. The Boston lights didn't really add anything best I can tell.

I've seen a few BOA bands use lights in their shows last year. You can see them very clearly from anywhere in the stands both indoors and outdoors. As long as they perform at night, they should be fine. It may not look like much on the FN though.

Good points made here. I had forgotten about the BAC lights under the scrim; Charlie's solo was more impressive.

Since LOS is such a large venue with super bright lighting to assist TV production, has the two end clear glass panels in the endzones, and has various shades of French (Colt) blue, such pole lights might not be "in your face."

However, the prism tape on the battlepoles used by Cadets in Angels and Demons (2011) was quite effective in LOS lighting. If DCI continues the black sound draping in Lucas, perhaps the lights would have some contrast.

To me they would be just another gimmick to distract one from the dirt in the visual program of a drill which is evidently slaying their membership with injuries already.

• Like 2

The first indoor show is only a couple days away. I guess we will have an answer soon enough.