Crown 2013 - Best Horn Line Ever?

Crown 2013 - Best Horn Line Ever?  

155 members have voted

1. 1. Is Crown 2013 The Best Horn Line Ever?

Since this is an art form with a sporting element and not a purely quantifiable thing, I would say this: Crown's brass for the last few years is simply one of the most amazing sounds I have been lucky enough to hear. But that doesn't mean that they are "the best horn line ever." There are unique qualities to horn lines that make them appealing to me. BD's edgier yet still amazing sound has its own appeal, and I think I'd have to argue that they are also among the "best ever." And let's not forget technologies, styles of tuning and balance, etc. over the decades.

In any case, I can't vote in the poll because I don't believe in "best ever" anythings when it comes to drum corps. There are lots of "best evers" that occupy the same space in my head and heart.

• Like 1

One of the best? Maybe

THE best hornline ever? Possibly by August, but not now.

Alternatives - BD '92, BD '93, Star '90-'93, Crown '12

Best hornline this year for sure. Ever - No...

• Like 1

Of the Bb era Crown is my Favorite. I don't know who is instructing them but they have their own buttery sound that is very smoooooooth.

Anyone know what Brand of Horns they are playing?

Of the Bb era Crown is my Favorite. I don't know who is instructing them but they have their own buttery sound that is very smoooooooth.

Yamaha I believe.

Yeah, this is a question better suited for after the season. My list of contenders for best horn line ever would contain some of the usual suspects and some that (I feel) are badly overlooked...

1989 Phantom Regiment

1990 Star of Indiana (even better than 91, IMHO)

1991 Blue Devils

1993 Blue Devils

1993 Star of Indiana

1994 Blue Devils

1996 Phantom Regiment

1998 Blue Devils

2000 Blue Devils

2002 Cavaliers

2004 Phantom Regiment

2010 Blue Devils

2012 Carolina Crown

• Like 2

It'll be hard to top Crown 12. I think Crown 12 was the best thing ever assembled in the history of man.

• Like 1

It'll be hard to top Crown 12. I think Crown 12 was the best thing ever assembled in the history of man.

Not according to the judges.

• Like 3

Yamaha I believe.

Yep, Yamaha.

And Matt Harloff is their BRILLIANT brass caption head. Donnie VanDoren (brass caption head, Star of Indiana) is also greatly responsible for their brass, but less so in a directly instructional manner. If I'm not mistaken, VanDoren set up the staff and instilled principles like "breathe dah".

Edited by cmathis
  • Like 1