ATLANTA, GA

I predicted some time ago that Boston would surge to the area of BK and Cavies. That has happened. I also predicted that there will be some leap-frog action between BK and Boston...with Cavies in the mix, maybe. That hasn't happened yet, but I'm not counting BK out yet. I think it is still possible for BK to take 8th.

I'm with you on this re. Blue Knights. BK might just become one of those Corps where you buy the audio show after the season, put it in your headset, and you go " wow , this is pretty enjoyable stuff they were playing last summer". Boston is surging right now, but BK is not far behind, and this is a very good BK Corps this year, imo. BK themselves were only 8 tenths behind the Cavaliers tonite.

Perc ScoreCrown = 17.7

Blue Devils = 18.5

Difference = 0.8/2 = 0.4

Overall Score

Crown= 92.50

Blue Devils = 92.90

Difference = 0.4

Finals 2008

Perc Score

PR = 19.85

Blue Devils = 19.00

Difference = 0.85/2 = 0.425

Overall Score

PR= 98.125

Blue Devils = 98.100

Difference = 0.025

Just sayin'

Edited by Plan9
  • Like 1

Finals 2008

Perc Score

PR = 19.85

Blue Devils = 19.00

Overall Score

PR= 98.125

Blue Devils = 98.100

Difference = 0.025

Just sayin'

Last call for reservation Bitter, party of 1

• Like 5

The Stravinsky or the modern jazz arrangements they're basing their show on?

Sebesky's take on Rite of Spring is not a "jazz arrangement". It's a massively edited, but straight-up arrangement for orchestra with ultra-reverbed jazz soloists noodling over the top. BD took the reverb and the repetitious use of the opening bassoon solo of the original from the Sebesky record. The Brenzel arrangement (Rewrite of Spring) they credit is an amazing jazz arrangement that stays true to the original, while also conforming to the jazz idiom, but they only use a few tidbits from it, alas.

Finals 2008

Perc Score

PR = 19.85

Blue Devils = 19.00

Overall Score

PR= 98.125

Blue Devils = 98.100

Difference = 0.025

Just sayin'

... :tongue:

And yeah, I'm posting that in good humor at my own over-analysis of spreads tonight :satisfied:

The depth of program, layering, and attention to detail in Devils show is simply unmatched.

...except by Crown and Cadets.

Still not a fan of the ending though. Maybe they should sell out like the competition and do the Chuck Corea tag with an old school end-zone to end-zone company front.

This ending is a huge letdown, IMO. As for "selling out", the whole run to the backfield in bunches playing multiple conflicting "echoes" of the show while other parts of the corps play some things at the stands is as much a cliche as a company front climax.

• Like 3

SCV still getting some of the best crowd reaction. If they stay on pace this will be a 4 way battle.

Troopers seem too far (2 points) to get into the top 12. That's a shame as they have really worked hard this year.

What an incredibly exciting night for DCI!

• Like 1

I'm with you on this re. Blue Knights. BK might just become one of those Corps where you buy the audio show after the season, put it in your headset, and you go " wow , this is pretty enjoyable stuff they were playing last summer". Boston is surging right now, but BK is not far behind, and this is a very good BK Corps this year, imo. BK themselves were only 8 tenths behind the Cavaliers tonite.

I originally didn't have much to say about BK....it seemed weird while watching it on youtube.....but when I watched em on the fan network they won me over. They have a nice full sound, not exactly loud like Cadets or Crown, but a nice full deep rounded sound.....for some reason......I don't know its hard to explain, Bk sounds like it has a lot of weight in how all the players come together and blend perfectly, does that make any sense? Well anyway, guard is doing great and this corps is becoming one of my favorites these last couple of years, starting with 2010 program Europa. Can't wait to see them at finals in two weeks!

• Like 2

What really shocks me is that Crown got 4th in music. I know their percussion is to blame but man, that really doesn't look right. Especially if you listen to them live.. it just doesn't add up.

• Like 3