What should scores be based on?

78 members have voted

1. 1. What should matter more to judges?

• The entertainment level of the design
    • The proficiency of the players

DCI is 'not' high art like Opera or Symphonies; it is 'not' an academic institution to learn about the historical aspects of artistic movements; DCI is, or should be, about competitive musical 'entertainment'. Why? Because that is what the paying public desires; and with a paying public that is turning quickly away from the activity corps need to get back into 'entertaining' the audience or the drum corps activity will be nothing more that a chapter in a music history book at an academic institution.

John said he did not enjoy the opera. He did not apply his own enjoyment level to others in the audience. I'd like to see your evidence that BD 2012 caused masses of the paying public to 'turn quickly away from the activity'. There is room for all types of shows in drum corps, from 'high art' BD to pure fun, a la Jersey Surf. I'd rather not see 8 corps do BD-style shows, but I also would not want to see 8 corps do Surf-style shows either.

a) Fans do not pay hundreds of dollars for tickets, transportation, housing, and food to 'process' information from a show. They pay those big bucks to get entertained, not educated!!!

You meant to say "Stu does not pay hundreds of dollars for tickets, transportation, housing, and food to 'process' information from a show. I pay those big bucks to get entertained, not educated!!!

Edited by MikeD
  • Like 1

Placement should be almost entirely based on performance of the players alone; it should be in the kids' hands to win or lose.

If two units are deemed equal in terms of demand and execution, then the nod should go to the one who better connects with the audience, the more entertaining corps.

Design of the show in and of itself should have no impact whatsoever, since I've learned that some of the best designed shows are often things we have no interest in seeing and, other than maybe other designers, who really cares? If the audience is busy checking their watch or sitting on their hands or rolling their eyes, how is that a good thing for anyone? If people are leaping to their feet, screaming and throwing babies, that is obviously good for everyone. ('cept maybe the poor babies)

DCI is 'not' high art like Opera or Symphonies;

Boy, you don't know much about music history, do you? Opera and symphonies were *never* "high art". They were the popular music and musical theater of their day. I think you're mad because *you* don't understand DCI shows and *you* want to be entertained as if you were the lowest common denominator. Sadly, you think that's true for everyone. It's not, and has been proven over and over and over...

• Like 2

a) Fans do not pay hundreds of dollars for tickets, transportation, housing, and food to 'process' information from a show. They pay those big bucks to get entertained, not educated!!!

b) The condescending view that DCI fans are mere sheepole, cheering and clapping because of the cues from others around them, is one of the many reasons why the ivory tower mindset that gives us shows like Dada meets The Zone has no place in DCI.

But fans still enjoy all those shows. Without variety in the type of entertainment that is presented, there will be nothing left but obvious moments in shows where people clap. Nobody is being "educated", but rather entertained in different ways. If the audience thinks that the meaning of a show will just be presented to them on a giant bill board, then people need to pay attention more during shows. Just because a corps that someone doesn't like goes on the field doesn't mean that person shouldn't even try to understand the show. If they didn't even give an effort to understand then that is their own down fall and they shouldn't ##### to others about how the show made no sense. That isn't educating, that is simply not turning your brain off during a performance.

Boy, you don't know much about music history, do you? Opera and symphonies were *never* "high art". They were the popular music and musical theater of their day. I think you're mad because *you* don't understand DCI shows and *you* want to be entertained as if you were the lowest common denominator. Sadly, you think that's true for everyone. It's not, and has been proven over and over and over...

I stared to respond in the same manner as you, however I changed it to this: Without knowing anything about my education concerning the historical differences between Opera Buffa and Opera Seria, or between Pops Music vs. Programmatic Symphonies, you automatically delve into the realm of condensation. Your comment above thus bleeds of the ivory tower elitism which, imo, is becoming the demise of DCI.

But fans still enjoy all those shows. Without variety in the type of entertainment that is presented, there will be nothing left but obvious moments in shows where people clap. Nobody is being "educated", but rather entertained in different ways. If the audience thinks that the meaning of a show will just be presented to them on a giant bill board, then people need to pay attention more during shows. Just because a corps that someone doesn't like goes on the field doesn't mean that person shouldn't even try to understand the show. If they didn't even give an effort to understand then that is their own down fall and they shouldn't ##### to others about how the show made no sense. That isn't educating, that is simply not turning your brain off during a performance.

If DCI fans were, are, enjoying the current trend of academic intellectual stimulation of some of the top corps as you contend then DCI Finals would be increasing in audience numbers instead of stagnating or falling. Want to increase the fan base? Entertain! More people go see U2 each year than all symphonies and operas combined!

I stared to respond in the same manner as you, however I changed it to this: Without knowing anything about my education concerning the historical differences between Opera Buffa and Opera Seria, or between Pops Music vs. Programmatic Symphonies, you automatically delve into the realm of condensation. Your comment above thus bleeds of the ivory tower elitism which, imo, is becoming the demise of DCI.

I believe you meant condescension, not condensation. Unless his comments are actually raining on your parade....

• Like 1