PED's In Drum Corps

Got to thinking about baseball and other sports that have used performance enhancing drugs. Has this ever been an issue or discussed in the Drum Corps activity? What would be the benefit? Obvious the negative impact it would create. Should there be random drug testing? Is this a non-issue?

As it's not a sport, it's a non-issue.

If you really want to dissect it a little, think of it this way: Why would you spend all that time practicing, only to try something different during a show? All you have to do is do things you've been doing all day. It's a lot cheaper to do it without drugs, so a lot of people do that.

• Like 2

Do Waffles qualify as PED'S?

• Like 8

Why would anyone need PED's in drum corps? There isn't anything that can make you a better musician or more accurate marcher/guard performer. I guess it can build muscle faster for brass players, but it's weaker surface muscle instead of the deep muscles you actually use to hold your horn.

I would worry more about drivers and teachers using something stronger than coffee, Red Bull, or No-Doze to get through those long cross country night drives.

I include the teachers because they could well lose sleep while going through the tapes, planning changes, planning the next practice day, and so on.

Edited by Jim Anello
  • Like 1

This is funny...I had this same thought while watching the Ryan Braun saga on ESPN the other day. Personally...I don't think it would matter a whole lot. I could see one wanting to get ripped maybe before spring training, but I can't imagine the snare line injecting each other in the buttocks during EPL before a show. haha

Only thing I can think of that would be "beneficial" would be amphetamines, like most baseball players were taking forever (way more rampant that steroids). Keep you alert, energetic, etc..