Bluecoats show!

Maybe I missed the thread/it's been buried.... Uhm I absolutely hate the theme but WOW! Bloo is just phenomenal this year (again), and if they had a different show I'd feel it'd be SCV and Bloo duking it the dark horse.

• Like 3

Maybe I missed the thread/it's been buried.... Uhm I absolutely hate the theme but WOW! Bloo is just phenomenal this year (again), and if they had a different show I'd feel it'd be SCV and Bloo duking it the dark horse.

What don't you like about their show? What would you prefer to see them doing? Not trying start an argument, just wondering where you're coming from. I like their program; for my $.02 it's both sophisticated and accessible (although that toe-first marching technique makes me a little crazy; I keep waiting for someone to pitch over and go face-first into the turf, lol).

Peace,

Fred O.

1374754192[/url]' post='3293551']

Care to expand on this?

This has been the story for the past 3 years...mediocre design and amazing execution. As soon as they get the right design pieces in place, Bloo will make a run at it. Until then, it will just be 5th,6th place and a "wow they were really good, but I just didn't get the show".

Edit: they should be focusing in on brass arrangement and guard design. Those are the two "weak" (design) areas.

Edited by superOOk
  • Like 3

Actually I think the underlying design is pretty good this year. Their visual proficiency and color guard numbers are struggling. There's been other posts on these items, so I won't reiterate here. If they were ranking in those captions the same as they are ranking in the others then they would be likely be battling for the 3-4 spot.

• Like 2

Actually I think the underlying design is pretty good this year. Their visual proficiency and color guard numbers are struggling. There's been other posts on these items, so I won't reiterate here. If they were ranking in those captions the same as they are ranking in the others then they would be likely be battling for the 3-4 spot.

Agreed.

This has been the story for the past 3 years...mediocre design and amazing execution. As soon as they get the right design pieces in place, Bloo will make a run at it. Until then, it will just be 5th,6th place and a "wow they were really good, but I just didn't get the show".

Edit: they should be focusing in on brass arrangement and guard design. Those are the two "weak" (design) areas.

May I ask what makes you think this? IMHO brass arranging is, and has been, a strength for this corps. It is a key reason they are one of only 3 corps in DCI to have scored above 90 at finals every year for the past decade. Doug Thrower is among the elite of DCI...as is Tom Rarick in percussion.

May I ask what makes you think this? IMHO brass arranging is, and has been, a strength for this corps. It is a key reason they are one of only 3 corps in DCI to have scored above 90 at finals every year for the past decade. Doug Thrower is among the elite of DCI...as is Tom Rarick in percussion.

It's tricky. With regards to brass arranging: yes, Thrower is awesome (I marched under him as a caption head in 93 and 94), and I have the utmost respect for his arrangements (especially the jazz pieces). BUT...the arrangements are often too piecemeal. There is a lack of overall cohesion in his writing. In addition, there seems to be a lack of coordination of where individual pieces are on the field. I don't know if this is a problem between visual and music writing, but it has existed for some time with BLOO.

In all of the championship shows, you will see a "flow" that really makes the individual songs sound like one song. I think lately that Crown is a perfect example of this type of writing.

For my personal taste, I think Thrower doesn't put enough traditional resolution throughout his pieces (think Scouts, SCV, PR) for my liking.

As far as percussion, I didn't include that in the "problem" areas. Rarick just needs to keep doing what he is doing :)

For entertainment value alone, this is one of the stronger shows this season.

• Like 1