Bluecoats show!

Maybe I missed the thread/it's been buried.... Uhm I absolutely hate the theme but WOW! Bloo is just phenomenal this year (again), and if they had a different show I'd feel it'd be SCV and Bloo duking it the dark horse.

I agree.

See, I feel they should have won in 2010. Not only did they execute well, but they were entertaining as well ( I know that does not win titles-because until this year, I have not liked BD shows since 2007-8. Mind you BD is always stacked top to bottom-just not so hot for the music or design). I have not been sold on any Bloo design since 2010. 2011 was trying to recreate 2010, 2012 was great but I do not feel they pushed the design enough. This year...great hornline...not so hot on the design.

In all of the championship shows, you will see a "flow" that really makes the individual songs sound like one song. I think lately that Crown is a perfect example of this type of writing.

For my personal taste, I think Thrower doesn't put enough traditional resolution throughout his pieces (think Scouts, SCV, PR) for my liking.

As far as percussion, I didn't include that in the "problem" areas. Rarick just needs to keep doing what he is doing :)

Of course EVERYTHING is based on personal taste...which is why I have always questioned the validity of "judging." The 2013 World Champion will be determined by luck of the draw this year.

Cadets, Crown and BD will most likely perform their shows at pretty much the same level of execution. I think the personal taste of each individual judge is going to determine which corps is scored 1 tenth higher than another.

My personal taste LOVES the way Thrower puts together his arrangements. I certainly don't consider it as bits and pieces, but more a tapestry.

As for Rarick...does ANYONE do BOTH batter AND front ensemble

any better than he does...in fact, is there another corps where one person does both?

If Bluecoats ever get the visual program to be equal to that of the brass/percussion...that's when title #1 will happen.

I think 2013 is getting them closer to that goal.

Lemme play armchair program coordinator for a second.

* Balloons need to be slightly bigger, as they get lost with everything that is happening.

* Get the baritone soloist in front of the bleachers, not behind.

* The quilts, while neat, look a bit flimsy and don't move like a quilt. The pattern on the quilts get lost in the movement and I am not sure why.

* The nifty body movement happening on the bleachers in the ballad can't be seen from audience perspective--its just too far away.

* The ending would come full circle if there was some form of Americana musical moment near the end (Star 1992).

* The guard outfits work regardless of what others say--although a costuming change in the middle would also help add visual clarity and resolution.

* The toe-forward marching from the corps proper works, especially since it seems to closely mirror what guard is doing. I say keep doing it--you will eventually be a trend setter.

* Doug Thrower is one of the finest brass arrangers out there. I think lately he is victim to the program coordinator/visual staff handcuffing him to a particular program that doesn't flow. Although all the difficult polyphony is quite impressive, especially in the opener with several musical ideas going on at once, most audience members and fans seem to be drawn more to homophonic writing (Crown most years) than "let's go for a quadrophonic sound" or "let's make this sound like four marching bands in a parade" ideas.

You'd think the Bluecoats design folks would realize this type of disjointed formula just doesn't work well for groups outside Contra Costa County. I have no definitive data to back this up, but a hunch is that more drum corps fans search for "Bluecoats Boxer" on YouTube than "Bluecoats 2013." The Boxer arrangement done by the Bluecoats is one of the best brass moments in the history of the activity. Was it complex? No? Lots of difficult polyphony? No. Abstract and thought provoking? No. It is/was just simple and solid drum corps. It might seem over simplistic, but its the one thing that folks stick around a show for to hear. How many times on here have you heard people say "Boy, I sure hope in their encore the Bluecoats play that nebulous bartione/trumpet thing in the middle of their show about post-industrial disfranchisement."

You won't find such a comment. More often than not, the comment is "Hope they do The Boxer!" In fact, I bet there are more recordings of Bluecoats hornline performing The Boxer on YouTube than any other Bluecoats hornline show clip from the last 5 years and there is a reason for it: Its the style of writing the folks want to hear.

Edited by Elmo Blatch
  • Like 6

Many valid points Elmo, but let's face it...The Boxer is indeed one of the iconic musical statements in drum corps history. I don't know if there is any corps in 2013 that the fans wouldn't be saying they wanted to hear something from "the past" during the encore than something from the current show.

I'll take BD playing "When A Man Loves A Women" ANY DAY over anything in their shows the last 10 years...during the encore.

I could make a similar comment for everyone of the top corps.

ps and for those that might not know it...Doug Thrower wrote The Boxer we're praising. :worthy:

Many valid points Elmo, but let's face it...The Boxer is indeed one of the iconic musical statements in drum corps history. I don't know if there is any corps in 2013 that the fans wouldn't be saying they wanted to hear something from "the past" during the encore than something from the current show.

I'll take BD playing "When A Man Loves A Women" ANY DAY over anything in their shows the last 10 years...during the encore.

I could make a similar comment for everyone of the top corps.

ps and for those that might not know it...Doug Thrower wrote The Boxer we're praising. :worthy:/>

I know he arranged it, that's why I referenced it. It was my way of saying "Hey Bluecoats program coordinator or visual staff peeps, let Doug take care of things. He creates epic moments and doesn't need someone getting in the way of his excellent writing."

I know he arranged it, that's why I referenced it. It was my way of saying "Hey Bluecoats program coordinator or visual staff peeps, let Doug take care of things. He creates epic moments and doesn't need someone getting in the way of his excellent writing."

I know you knew Doug arranged it...my comment was for those who might not...and I can't wait to hear it in Massillon in a few more days. In that stadium, in front of their hometown fans, it is the ultimate "peel your face" moment. :thumbup:

A funny story concerning "The Boxer". After hearing them play it during spring training at Denison, a good friend of mine picked his seats for finals based on wanting to be face level with the corps during that part of the show.

He bought tickets on the 40 about 10 rows up. When THE BIG MOMENT in the show came he sent me a text asking "When did they move The Boxer to the other side of the 50???"

I told him "about 2 days after you bought your tickets." :tongue:

• Like 1

Lemme play armchair program coordinator for a second. [...]

Wonderful comments.

I love the show this year as well, although I feel I've made that clear enough this season. tongue.gif

In terms of show design, I would say this show has an average one. Compared to shows like 2010, or 2008, both which I think were great designs, it has lots of potential, but there are a few spots that I feel could be connected better.

I agree with most of what has been said about the arranging. I love what the quadrophonic sound sounds like, I think the Bluecoats use it really well. Music has been a strength of this corps for a while. Can't wait to see them live in Massillon!

This has been the story for the past 3 years...mediocre design and amazing execution. As soon as they get the right design pieces in place, Bloo will make a run at it. Until then, it will just be 5th,6th place and a "wow they were really good, but I just didn't get the show".

Edit: they should be focusing in on brass arrangement and guard design. Those are the two "weak" (design) areas.

Their brass arranging is superb; it's one of the best currently in DCI. I think guard design and show pacing are the culprits. Well, there is visual proficiency as well. Otherwise, that's a top notch group.

Edited by jjeffeory