Murfreesboro Mayhem

I'll tell you what I love...this is the first year in AGES that we've had THREE brass lines playing at this high a level. Usually it's just two. I love that.

All three of them are stellar. I absolutely agree.

Since the order at Prelims is decided by the results of the four regionals, I guess we could conceivably have a different winner at every regional. Then what happens? Guess it would come down to who took second or third most often.

Things are certainly getting very interesting in DCI this year. Very competitive all of the way down the stretch, it might be a photo finish!

Also, GO SCV!

Edited by fsubone
  • Like 1

I guess I wanna do it to inspire kids the way my first drum corps show did to me, to get them on their feet, and to be a part of something inspiring. Instilling that and getting people on their feet is what is driving me to do it. To each their own I guess...I don't care about how good the corps is that I do it in or if I get a medal. As long as I'm inspiring people and growing as a person in something that is greater than myself, that's all that I care about doing.

That's all good .... except wasn't your original quote about how inspiring it must be to get all those golf claps? It might be inspiring to people (in your words) to grow as a person in something that is greater than yourself. Just because someone chooses to march in a corps that gets golf claps, or is boring, or doesn't score very well .... it doesn't make it LESS inspiring to THEM.

The reason I marched was because I went to a Spirit of Atlanta rehearsal, heard them up close and I thought ..... I gotta be in that! It had nothing to do with an audience clapping. It was pure joy playing amongst those other brass players that wanted to excel ..... that was IT.

You didn't like people cheering and clapping for you? That was always the best part, to see people crying and cheering for my performance every night. Different strokes I guess...

Sure I liked it ... but the reason I got in was just to play in that brass line! No medals, no audience ... that was it. The rest to me was icing on the cake.

• Like 1

Since the order at Prelims is decided by the results of the four regionals, I guess we could conceivably have a different winner at every regional. Then what happens? Guess it would come down to who took second or third most often.

Things are certainly getting very interesting in DCI this year. Very competitive all of the way down the stretch, it might be a photo finish!

Also, GO SCV!

A potato sack race among the 4 corps directors will determine performance order.

• Like 1

Sure I liked it ... but the reason I got in was just to play in that brass line! No medals, no audience ... that was it. The rest to me was icing on the cake.

After my first summer, this is all I wanted. Fan response was cool but I left my lower placing group for a better brass ensemble! Still have a few more seasons to go, hopefully with an even better ensemble!

People are allowed to have different reasons to march DCI!

Edited by HiddenMonster
  • Like 1

Overall:

BD has no weaknesses. I don't love their visual and have some difficulty understanding why it scores well but obviously that's

my deficiency, not theirs. I do appreciate the music. Its disturbing but effective. Still think they get beat by someone.

Crown: really love the new ending and the music is tops in my book. Percussion is a weakness. If they can get it respectable numbers wise, I think they win.

Cadets: again a solid show that does not stop. The brass line does not stop to play period. Percussion is amazing and I think they have the strongest visual show. Definitely need to keep cleaning all the changes. Guard just needs to be cleaned and cleaned some more. End of show, I think I liked it before better than now with the guard doing less work. Not sure but not a big deal.

SCV: they win the emotion award. They are enjoying this show and playing their hearts out. Where they place, not sure, but love them.

going to bed and will critique the rest tomorrow,

• Like 2

A potato sack race among the 4 corps directors will determine performance order.

I second that option. Or bare-knuckle boxing match?

They not getting much better? :-/ I'm not watching, just responding.

Nope, not really. Still some obvious stragglers throughout the show.

Fair enough reasoning.