Murfreesboro Mayhem

I haven't seen BD's show yet, and may very well love it.

However, the idea that the experts in a given field of art respect boredom is not unheard of. It certainly happens in film criticism, usually not explicitly, but I once read a respected movie critic's comments (in the late 1960s) defending a film from the charge that is was boring on the grounds that all great art is in fact a little bit boring--that's one way that you can recognize its greatness.

" respected movie critics" can also be boring. Sometimes their writeups are more boring to read than the composition they are describing in their review itself. I reject the crtics observation that " all great art is in fact a little bit boring ". He can not speak for others on what the definition of " great art " is either. Although, we do see others attempt to tell us what is " great art ", or what is " great music " all the time. The elitists tend to run in packs, and attempt to reach consensus asmong themselves on what is " great art ". Norman Rockwell's " illustrations " were not considered " great art " for over 50 years, despite popular appeal to the masses. In time, the great unwashed have apparently had an influence on the " Art critics ". Increasingly, they have been having an epiphany among themselves on their assessments on Rockwell's works, and more of them each year are now coming around to recognize his " great art " works as in fact " great Art ". What is " great art " or is " great music " really is in the realm of the beholder of such works, imo.

Edited by BRASSO

VK used silly props expertly - we all knew the shark was a joke. All of their props were meant to be silly.

This Evil Queen that Phantom has is the all time winner of the "Your Kidding....!?" award. It's not meant to be silly but that close-up during yesterday's broadcast was quite a surprise. I watched the close-up again this morning and I'm still shaking my head.

It makes Little Jeffrey look like Einstein (without the beach).

Hahaha...love the observation, because I said "...hey, it's a VK show!" right then...and I was in charge of building *many* of VK's props through the years...and the shark was NO joke! It was real! :tongue::worthy:

Looks like a dud to me blink.gif

968844_10200961318987179_1093608885_n.jpg

That's impressive. Don't the Tennessee Titans have a big, new, outdoor and acoustically tested stadium not too far away? That is just a suggestive hint if DCI were to ever get of out the can in Indy.

Edited by bluesman

Many have spoken of what happened at the premiere of The Rite of Spring among the rude, obnoxious, and almost riotous audience members the evening of that first performance.

It could have been worse......... the audience might have responded with indifference and polite golf claps.

They seem to get quite the reaction on here... I'd say it's working.

• Like 1

my advice to everyone is to not extrapolate too much from ONE show's results

performance order, changes, "Bad run" or a given judge or judging panel can make a world of difference

IF BD runs the table the whole weekend - tonight & the regional Sunday - THEN we have a trend

One show does not a trend make

IMHO.

Hey, except for seeing one practice in a few days, this is all I got until Indy :)

They seem to get quite the reaction on here... I'd say it's working.

There is a big difference in the complete lack of response from a live audience than there is from those of us typing on a keyboard with time to process the programs the following day. If what the Blue Devils design team is striving for is minimal crowd response followed the next few days by critiques on a comments board by a small number of either irritated or defensive Drum Corps fans then I suppose then yes it is working.

" respected movie critics" can also be boring. Sometimes their writeups are more boring to read than the composition they are describing in their review itself. I reject the crtics observation that " all great art is in fact a little bit boring ". He can not speak for others on what the definition of " great art " is either. Although, we do see others attempt to tell us what is " great art ", or what is " great music " all the time. The elitists tend to run in packs, and attempt to reach consensus asmong themselves on what is " great art ". Norman Rockwell's " illustrations " were not considered " great art " for over 50 years, despite popular appeal to the masses. In time, the great unwashed have apparently had an influence on the " Art critics ". Increasingly, they have been having an epiphany among themselves on their assessments on Rockwell's works, and more of them each year are now coming around to recognize his " great art " works as in fact " great Art ". What is " great art " or is " great music " really is in the realm of the beholder of such works, imo.

Well put.