RainBeat 2013

Still baffled with BD winning Visual GE. Just blows my mind.

• Like 3

Crown took GE despite getting 2nd in all captions because BD took a major hit in their rep for music for some reason... Much stronger night in visual for Crown and I'm sure that'll go up as Crown continues to clean their new additions. If Crown can overtake the Cavaliers' percussion score, they'll be in good shape :)

Crown guard wins again!

• Like 4

I mean, BD does a lot of follow the leader and scatter sets and it's all amazingly clean so I can kind of see why they're taking visual. I just noticed Crown moved back to first in colorguard. smile.gif Also glad to see Crown back on top in Brass. All these improvements make me really excited to see both BD and Crown in Allentown next weekend!

I'm guessing.. no percussion judge.

Good guess (except I thought it was made clear that at this point every show = full judge panel), but wrong.

Looked like Crown just made up ground in the Visual (including GE) captions tonight.

At this point, without seeing the shows and just glancing at the recaps, a few quick thoughts:

1) seems like w/the Top 3 rankings, it might really depend on how well a corps executes that determines placement/spreads. While that is obviously a "no ship sherlock" statement, what I mean is designs might be so similar and everything being almost equal (almost: see next point) cleanest run across the board will win on any given night.

2) can Carolina Crown's percussion section be clean ENOUGH so that the rest of the captions can overcompensate? Blue Devils percussion actually rose .1 while their placement jumped from 3rd-1st. Crown's percussion rose .2 but their placement went from 6th-5th. These are minimal changes (spread went from 1.1 to 1 from Murf-Charlotte, which in over-all score really only equalled a .05 improvement), but Crown's improvement was solely in the Achievement sub-caption. If they're section can continue to improve performance, they could get their section just clean enough to squeak by.

3) doesn't look good for Cavaliers to place 6th. Or SCV to sneak into Top 3. You never know what could happen in the final weeks, and it's not unheard of for a corps to make significant gains from night-night Finals week. But more often than not, consistent 2+ point spreads do not bode well

4) how much does this funky scoring have to do with funky performance times? In a perfect world, it wouldn't mean a ton, but in reality it might throw of some spreads here or there. Tonight Cadets were 2nd on, BD was 4th on, and Crown was last. In Murf. Crown was 3rd on, Cadets were 4th and BD was last. Now, with smaller shows order doesn't mean quite as much as it would at larger shows, but it could be a factor. Tomorrow night with the order being BD, Crown, Cadets in the last three, I think we'll get a better 'read' of how close (or far apart) these corps might be.

Is this season exciting or what?!?!

• Like 1