RainBeat 2013

This has already been discussed, so I won't repeat other than it's not wrong to compare 'trends' of scoring and placement of a Caption from show-show, especially against like competition. It's DEFINITELY not out of line to compare scores vs same competition from night-night: especially when there is a significant change in score in 24 hours.

Thanks everyone for the explanations!:thumbup:/>

Just a guess...since the source material is all from the same musical, isn't there a chance that there isn't an extensive and dramatic use of effect over time (according to the DCI judging sheets)? Webber's music is awfully repetitive even if well arranged.

Agreed. If you look at what is rewarded on the sheets, you wonder how SCV is scoring as well as they are. I love the show, but lets face it, this is 1990 drum corps shows with props. Fan fav yes, emotional, yes, (all the traits judges don't reward today). Lolbrs. (Laughing out loud but really sad).

Edited by newjerseycorpguy
  • Like 2

Another well-deserved win for them!!

Glad they won. Hopefully that BD guard dominance is coming to an end. Crown Guard is more musical and will do some large unison moves in time which has always been to me how you can judge a great unit. BD guard too much individual and small clusters doing things. A hot mess like their over scored visual program. ( sorry, I promised myself not to rant)..

• Like 4

Agreed. If you look at what is rewarded on the sheets, you wonder how SCV is scoring as well as they are. I love the show, but lets face it, this is 1990 drum corps shows with props. Fan fav yes, emotional, yes, (all the traits judges don't reward today). Lolbrs. (Laughing out loud but really sad).

I agree it has a more "old school" feel to it, what makes it a "90's" show vs. a "now" show and what specifically are they missing that is preventing them from scoring higher (or as you said, as being as high as they are)? They have the obligatory unnecessary body movement by horn players, they have the obligatory stop-and-play-a-fast-run-that-sounds-hard-but-usually-isn't, they have the obligatory props (though not really used), they have some scatter drill, they have the synth.. I can't remember but I'm willing to bet they have the obligatory solo guard member doing some dancing and stuff.. so what are they missing?

• Like 1

I agree it has a more "old school" feel to it, what makes it a "90's" show vs. a "now" show and what specifically are they missing that is preventing them from scoring higher (or as you said, as being as high as they are)? They have the obligatory unnecessary body movement by horn players, they have the obligatory stop-and-play-a-fast-run-that-sounds-hard-but-usually-isn't, they have the obligatory props (though not really used), they have some scatter drill, they have the synth.. I can't remember but I'm willing to bet they have the obligatory solo guard member doing some dancing and stuff.. so what are they missing?

Content and layering.

just watched a few vids from last night

a few corps did NOT have good runs - particularly Devils & Cadets - lots of feet issues in the grass and Cadets had nasty feedback coming out of the speakers for their whole first part of the show - a very edgy performance from them in particular

Guards looked good - but horns were a bit off

it will be interesting to see how these corps score tonight under more controlled conditions - plus adding the other corps back into the mix -- I'd expect some position changes in the middle and top groups...

Unnecessary vocals? Trees?

• Like 2

one caption still....

It's been really obvious for the past 5 years or so that their percussion just isn't up to snuff with the rest of the corps. I'm predicting this is the last year for that whole part of the staff.

Unnecessary vocals? Trees?

Big cloth boxes.

Content and layering.

In all seriousness, what does that mean in (I honestly have no idea)?