If BD Wins, We Riot!

You can't prove any of that. You can't prove that people boo or complain because they find it boring, or because they think Madison or Crown or Troopers should be winning because they like that show better or because it is their alumni corps or their kid marches Crown or because they are tired of BD "always" winning. Maybe they just want ANY other corps to win because they are tired of it being a forgone conclusion who will win it all in Indy. You can speculate that people find it boring, but you can't for sure know that without knowing every single person's thoughts. I am going to guess that there are some ppl that find it boring or otherwise dislike the show for some reason relating to the product on the field, but I am willing to bet that there are also a boatload of people that complain or golf clap or boo for any of 100 different reasons. Hell, to give you a gauge of the level of knowledge that most "fans" of the activity have you should read some of the comments on the facebook posts from DCI. People actually saying that Phantom should be in first place and BD's show stinks because they use props, but Cadets show is amazing...everyone has their crap to complain about and their reasoning and it is not all because "BD's show is boring". Stop projecting your personal feelings onto everyone else in the stands until you have proof that you know wtf you are talking about.

Whoa.. slow down there, Cowboy, you're at too much of a giddy up gallop requesting me too many " things to prove ". Bring your horse and you to a stop for a moment and I tell you what I said:

My central observation here was that BD's show is boring for most people in coast to coast audiences. I make this observation based upon personal observation at shows, from several observable and quite detectable audience responses to their show both visually and auditorily on Fan Network. Such an assessment does not require me to " get into everyone's mind " as I have already acknowledged to you on here above that there are some people, like you, that love and enjoy the 2013 BD show this year. I certainly recognize that some people are jealous of BD's success, and that there are people out there that don't like BD for 1000 other reasons. I don't speculate on the reasons WHY BD's show is not liked by a lot of people. Thats not in my domain.Thats not my call. I only point out that BD's shows of late are disliked by a lot... a LOT... of people from coast to coast. But so what ? Why does this anger you or others so much when this seemingly inocuous and perhaps undeniable assessment is made ? There are still LOTS of other shows to like, some of whom you might dislike.. and you are likewise entitled to that dislike assessment as well with those shows if thats your opinion. More people from Coast to Coast like the Troopers show more than the Blue Devils show. But few of them that I've observed are telling us that the Troopers should be placing ahead of the Blue Devils. They are simply expressing to us... in a very observable and detectable manner... which of these Corps shows they find more entertaining. And whats so wrong with their expressing this preference ?

Edited by BRASSO
  • Like 4

The problem is that some people HATE rum raisin ice cream SO MUCH they're trying to boycott the ice cream shop and/or get it to shut down.

I, myself, don't particularly like rum raisin ice cream. I don't particularly like just vanilla or chocolate, either. But I'm not going to stop getting my mint chocolate chip just because the rum raisin happens to be "best seller" at Acheson's Creamery.

Now I want ice cream. :sad:/>

I don't think rational people are trying to get the ice cream shop shut down. Rather, many (if not most) are frustrated and confused because the ice cream experts are giving awards for it even when most people don't buy it.

As they eat the ice cream from off their silver spoon, praising the ice cream they talk about the quality of the ingredients: rich cream, plump raisins and aged rum and intellectually we feel compelled to nod and say, "well...they are the critics and they know what good ice cream is. Right?" But when we take a bite, our gag reflexes kick in.

• Like 3

D. Glyde says he uses a two bucket approach. 1. they put in elements that they consider "required" in drum corps. 2. they put in new things to try out, to be different, in an effort not to be formulaic.

This is exactly my complaint with BD's designs. They read as 1. a checklist of compulsory elements, and 2. avoiding cliches (including emotional impact) at all costs... except for the cliches they like, that is.

• Like 1

I would like to posit a simple question. Please take it at face value and no matter what you personally feel answer it as honestly as you can. THEN (because I know I will be accused of bias) please submit your questions and I promise I will answer as honestly as I can--even if it hurts.

A couple of us have been called on the carpet for suggesting, in some form or another, that the majority of people do not like BDs show this year.

Question:

Do you think (none of us have empirical evidence) that the Blue Devil's show is enjoyed by more than 33% of those who see it?

My answer is no.

I would like to posit a simple question. Please take it at face value and no matter what you personally feel answer it as honestly as you can. THEN (because I know I will be accused of bias) please submit your questions and I promise I will answer as honestly as I can--even if it hurts.

A couple of us have been called on the carpet for suggesting, in some form or another, that the majority of people do not like BDs show this year.

Question:

Do you think (none of us have empirical evidence) that the Blue Devil's show is enjoyed by more than 33% of those who see it?

My answer is no.

Well if you're gonna posit you should ask the complete question, and in my view the real question is: Do you like the Blue Devil's? And judging from the anger, disrespect and hyperbole you have displayed in this thread.................................you don't!

• Like 1

Don't you think on some level their shows (or late) are a bit of a "finger in the eye" of most fans? I'm wondering if the show actually communicates a bit of a "screw you" mentality?

This is a sincere question: What do you think the designers are saying? By now they clearly know this style of show is not even close to being popular with the people paying the ticket prices. They have a storied history of COOLNESS but have abandoned it. Is it a matter of "variety" as some have said? Is it simply because they've found a winning formula and are riding that wave?

I'm just wondering what those who designed these shows would say is their motivator?

This is a bit over the top....even for you Granny. You don't know any of this!.....you may want to compartmentalize BD and their designers, for your own rationalization....but you'd be wrong. It's a completely unfair and unjustified assumption you're making here, and even a little bit mean. You don't like something?..fine, wait a few minutes and a corps you like will fill the field. But to spew this crap out is completely uncalled for. These are hard working designers and performers who try and are excited to present their very best to the audience every year, and IMO they do. You have different taste, you like Cadets kind of in your face DC, I like good stories done well and different done well....but I'm not about to trash your taste or the corps you like. And quit trying to speak about people and organizations you know nothing about.

It's a dangerous thing to question the motives of anyone, and I can see how you judged me to be questioning the Blue Devils' motives (particularly in the first paragraph). I wouldn't want people to judge my integrity so glibly and I apologize if you felt I was attacking their ethic.

The second paragraph contained legitimate questions and would be interested in your thoughts.

Well if you're gonna posit you should ask the complete question, and in my view the real question is: Do you like the Blue Devil's? And judging from the anger, disrespect and hyperbole you have displayed in this thread.................................you don't!

No. I asked the question I wanted to ask and judging from your defensiveness it's clear you can't answer it.

• Like 2

The problem is that some people HATE rum raisin ice cream SO MUCH they're trying to boycott the ice cream shop and/or get it to shut down.

oh sure,.. this is a protest that'll never happen.

The analogy to Drum Corps is that those that don't like the ice cream shoppes offerings do what many Drum Corps fans do when they don't like the offerings. They don't try to shut the place down at all. They simply walk away, never to return.

Edited by BRASSO
  • Like 2

No. I asked the question I wanted to ask and judging from your defensiveness it's clear you can't answer it.

Because it's a stupid popularity poll. You don't like what's going on, your powerless to change it, so you try in a number of tact's to insult, demean, characterize and generally disrespect the efforts of one of our drum corps. You would do much better in supporting the one's you like, than wasting your efforts on spitting through the chain link fence.

• Like 3