If BD Wins, We Riot!

not saying one way or the other on a corps BUT you also see that many of those same people say they dont care about scores or its not about scores etc etc..hmmmmmm welll if one doesnt care about scores then why do some of these people care who beats who or who wins or not!

Its a good observation and assessment.

Its also holds true as well that if Corps staff design a boring show, or if MM's go to Corps with a recent history of putting out boring shows, don't complain later when lots and lots of people from coast to coast for 9 weeks in duration tell you that you are freaken boring.

Edited by BRASSO
  • Like 1

Does anyone else find it just a little bit ironic the same older fans who are hurling (untrue) insults at millenials are also engaging in ceaseless whining because a show they don't like is winning? It's tempting to say something snide about the greed, narcissism, and entitlement of Gen-Xers and Boomers, but making sweeping generalizations about one population cohort or the other is just stupid and lazy.

What makes things even more ironic is that younger fans are - from my own observations at least - heavily pro-Crown and anti-BD. Some are even participating in the booing. Which is unfortunate.

I think I'm the only "older" fan who has "hurled insults" at millennial in this thread (I don't think it's very sensitive of you to call me older. That breaks my heart). However, I don't think you'll find anywhere that I whined about any particular show not winning. Instead what you will see is that I made a point that it's weak-kneed and unhelpful to treat the MM's so soft. I've tried to argue that we need to resist the attitude of "everyone's a winner" argument for why it's wrong to boo.

Also, I wasn't being lazy with my argument about millennials being soft. It's true. Relax a bit because what you say about Gen-Xers and Boomers is also true. There's no need to be so defensive about generalizations that are generally true. Must be that you're a millenial. :wink:/>

(P.S. Notice the winky face at the end of my last sentence. That's meant to convey that I'm just teasing you and I'm happy and you're happy and we're friends)

Its also holds true as well that if Corps staff design a boring show, or if MM's go to Corps with a recent history of putting out boring shows, don't complain later when lots and lots of people from coast to coast for 9 weeks in duration tell you that you are freaken boring.

thanks : just dont get those who dont care who wins but go nuts at outcomes...lol

also:

i dont think they are complaining at all. I know that they also dont feel they are boring at ALL. they also know what they do is not everyones cup of tea which is ok.

Do many people like their design choices ( maybe not ) is it everyone ? as many like to say ..not by a long shot

Edited by GUARDLING

If we are being so hyper sensitive about booing. What about cheering too much for a corps. Imagine how other corps feel when they get golf claps following their performance and the next corps gets standing ovations when they enter, during the show, and at the end of the show, and at the awards ceremony!

oh the humanity, i do not know how these members will ever move on.

tongue.gif

you saw Star in 83? Wow Thats impressive

:tongue:/>/>/>/>/>/>

Hardly a week goes by that somebody doesn't remind us that the Blue Devils are like the Star of Indiana from 20 years ago.

To follow this analogy chronology, we'd have to assume that the Blue Devils are about to quit DCI competition soon. What also seems to be lost on this fascination with the booing of the Star of Indiana by the old dinos and legacy fans of 20 years ago compared with the newbie fans booing of BD shows of today, is that Star did not win in 1993, while BD is winning with these boring shows of late. Why would BD follow the exit ramp off DCI of the Star of Indiana when BD, unlike Star of Indiana, has been consistently winning of late with their boring ( to most ) shows ? Star of Indiana might have been frustrated by the DCI judging system, but surely the Blue Devils can't make a similar claim. Far from it. So the booing of Star of Indiana from 20 years ago with that of todays booing of the blue Devils shows and/ or scores simply is a multi flawed comparison... on so many levels, imo.

Edited by BRASSO
  • Like 1

This year marks the first year in my adult life I have not been to a DCI show. The reason???? I have no interest in seeing any of the shows. I am not going to let DCI see one dime of my money this year. NOT ONE DIME.

Sorry if it hurts the activity. But the Activity that we love needs to know that we will not stand for this. Changes need to be made.

Good. Don't let the door hit you on the way out. You should also delete your forums account here and never post again if you are serious. OR, you can continue to ##### and moan about how you will never watch another show and this and that and then show up here in a week to complain some more because your favorite show isn't winning. "What you like" is not the same as "what is the best". I for one hope you just go off and find something you enjoy doing and leave us alone so we can enjoy what DCI is now.

• Like 6

What is "boring" to you is not boring to everyone. Your opinion is no more valid than mine.

• Like 7

I think the question most people aren't asking is: Are we a creative activity or an enjoyment activity? Most DCPers I think will fool themselves into answering "BOTH" even though we rarely seem to act that way.

Is there anything wrong with putting out shows like Jersey Surf's or the Madison Scouts'? No. Is there anything wrong with putting out shows like Carolina Crown's or the Blue Devils'? Also no. Although, from my perspective, there seems to be VASTLY more tolerance and encouragement of the former than the latter.

I can't even count how many new and exciting pieces of music drum corps has introduced me to, pieces I had never heard before but now listen to regularly. Everything from Glass and Ligeti to Chick Corea and Radiohead. People can talk about woodwinds and electronics being the doom of DCI but, for me, the day I stop being a DCI fan is when drum corps shows just become rote pandering to the lowest common denominator of fan.

Variety is the spice of life, that's not just a cliché. I'd be bored to tears if I went to DCI Champs and had to watch 25 shows just like the Madison Scouts. I'd also be bored to tears if I went and had to watch 25 shows just like the Blue Devils. It's cannot just be a franks and beans activity, there has to be room on the menu for the filet with truffle oil risotto, too. Both are enjoyable in their own ways.

Scores? DCI scoring is about execution. Even the Effect captions. There is never more than one or two corps (if that) that can out-execute the Blue Devils in any given year, so there is never more than one or two corps (if that) that can beat the Blue Devils. It is that simple.

As for the generation gap, everyone likes to think theirs is flawless and it's the others that have messed everything up. In reality, every generation is great and every generation is flawed for different reasons. I've never heard the contrast between how a generation views itself and how an "outsider" might view that generation put any better than this quote from the comedian Rob Delaney: "The 'Greatest Generation' sure said the N-word a lot."

OK.........now we're getting somewhere!

I think I'm the only "older" fan who has "hurled insults" at millennial in this thread (I don't think it's very sensitive of you to call me older. That breaks my heart). However, I don't think you'll find anywhere that I whined about any particular show not winning. Instead what you will see is that I made a point that it's weak-kneed and unhelpful to treat the MM's so soft. I've tried to argue that we need to resist the attitude of "everyone's a winner" argument for why it's wrong to boo.

Also, I wasn't being lazy with my argument about millennials being soft. It's true. Relax a bit because what you say about Gen-Xers and Boomers is also true. There's no need to be so defensive about generalizations that are generally true. Must be that you're a millenial. :wink:/>/>/>/>/>

(P.S. Notice the winky face at the end of my last sentence. That's meant to convey that I'm just teasing you and I'm happy and you're happy and we're friends)

Except that it's not true. At all. Attributing broad characteristics to an entire generation based on personal experience is nonsense.

And who is making the "everyone's a winner argument"? No one that I can see. It's a straw man. You've thoroughly demolished that straw man, but the actual arguments that have been made still stand untouched. And the whining may not always be explicit (though it often is), but it is always implicit in these kinds of threads. :thumbup:

Notice the randomly selected emoticon I put at the end of my sentence. I put it there so I can defuse tension and dissuade people from challenging my groundless argument by making any attempt at rebuttal appear ill-humored!

Edited by Rifuarian
  • Like 6