If BD Wins, We Riot!

Last year Atlanta had a record high attendance for the SE Regional, I do not have the attendance figures for this year though (does somebody have them handy?) 2012 was 16,114 people.

According to Boo's blog, the last recorded attendance in Atlanta was 13,900 (he didn't give a final number, but that was pretty late in the show)

Maybe DCI should just kick BD out. The irony would be so rich that Stravinsky himself would be grinning ear to ear.

2. Granny, with the ticket prices DCI and TOC are charging nowadays, is there really that much difference from the NYP at Lincoln Center???

Got to get you out of the farm house once in awhile.

Let's see... DCI Finals tickets run from $35-125. A Saturday concert with a popular work (Beethoven's 9th) by the NY Philharmonic runs $38-125. Daytona 500 tickets run from $81-914.

So yeah, I guess you're right, it is more like the Philharmonic than NASCAR. :tongue:

• Like 2

I heart you.

I don't condone booing, but I get why people do. Remember, it is a competitive result and people have strong feelings towards some corps/shows. passions run high.

if BD wins, it could set a new record for smallest crowd to witness an encore at finals....and they've been getting smaller when they win as is.

I get why BD is winning...doesn't mean I have to like it, and seeing how their design influence is trickling down to others, it's not welcome news to many fans.

Considering Crown's design this year.....I think you may be off on your numbers a bit....that is, of course, unless the CC fans hate their corps design! :blink:/>

I think you could agree that this is CC's most competitive year in their history.......so, hmmm...what to do? Is a puzzlement.

When BD performs, they perform things out of the ordinary. With the other corps, IMO you can already tell how they will sound and look.

:rolleyes: Personally, I have found BD far more predictable the last couple of years than Crown, Cadets, Vanguard, Bluecoats, Boston, Blue Knights, Blue Stars, Crossmen, Troopers, Pacific Crest, Mandarins, Colts, Academy, Oregon, Jersey Surf, Cascades, or Pioneer.

• Like 3

What is "boring" to you is not boring to everyone. Your opinion is no more valid than mine.

I have not devalued your opinion for liking the Blue Devils show this season. I would ask you in return to not to devalue my opinion for not particularly caring for it, and expressing as such on here.

As a follow up, BD's show this season, while enjoyed by you ( and others )have been mostly disliked from coast to coast with audiences. As an analogy, there are people that love rum raisin ice cream. For some, its their favorite. They tell us they love it. Thats fine. We acknowledge this. We allow them that freedom to enjoy it, and to tell us how much they enjoy it too. But we also recognize that rum raisin ice cream is not liked by a lot of people. Most enjoy other flavors. When these people tell us they dislike rum raisin ice cream, we likewise allow them to express that personal opinion. It has no bearing on the person that likes the rum raisin ice cream either. They still get to enjoy it, and to tell us so. Likewise, the rum raisin ice cream eaters get to listen to others tell you how much they dislike rum raisin ice cream. Thats how the world works. If you like something that is not popular you learn why a lot of people don't care for it. It becomes an education all around, as we get to tolerate and apprrciate each other's diversity of opinions, as I do yours now.

Edited by BRASSO

Except that it's not true. At all. Attributing broad characteristics to an entire generation based on personal experience is nonsense.

And who is making the "everyone's a winner argument"? No one that I can see. It's a straw man. You've thoroughly demolished that straw man, but the actual arguments that have been made still stand untouched. And the whining may not always be explicit (though it often is), but it is always implicit in these kinds of threads. :thumbup:/>

Notice the randomly selected emoticon I put at the end of my sentence. I put it there so I can defuse tension and dissuade people from challenging my groundless argument by making any attempt at rebuttal appear ill-humored!

Maybe its because I'm a sarcastic ###hole, but this is the best thing i've read all day....

As for Gen Y as a whole, I agree with your observations. And it isn't the fault of an entire previous generation either. I don't have kids, but certainly wouldn't raise them to behave the way I see a lot of that generation do. It's also apparent that when challenged, they want to blame someone vs. owning it.

Adults are always griping about the lazy, irresponsible, lazy, disrespectful, spoiled Kids These Daystm. They were doing it in the 20s, the 30s, the 40s, the 50s, the 60s, the 70s, the 80s, the 90s, the 00s, and now in 2013, too. And guess what, you'll die, "gen Y" will grow up, and they will ##### about the #### lazy, irresponsible, disrespectful, spoiled Kids These Daystm just like you're doing.

So maybe, just maybe, the problem is not with the Kids These Daystm but with the fact that once we get past our 20s, we somehow forget about all the mistakes we and our friends made when we were figuring out how the world worked and where our place was in it.

• Like 1

As a follow up, BD's show this season, while enjoyed by you ( and others )have been mostly disliked from coast to coast with audiences. As an analogy, there are people that love rum raisin ice cream. For some, its their favorite. They tell us they love it. Thats fine. We acknowledge this. We allow them that freedom to enjoy it, and to tell us how much they enjoy it too. But we also recognize that rum raisin ice cream is not liked by a lot of people. Most enjoy other flavors. When these people tell us they dislike rum raisin ice cream, we likewise allow them to express that personal opinion. It has no bearing on the person that likes the rum raisin ice cream either. They still get to enjoy it, and to tell us so. Likewise, the rum raisin ice cream eaters get to listen to others tell you how much they dislike rum raisin ice cream. Thats how the world works. If you like something that is not popular you learn why a lot of people don't care for it. It becomes an education all around, as we get to tolerate and apprrciate each other's diversity of opinions, as I do yours now.

The problem is that some people HATE rum raisin ice cream SO MUCH they're trying to boycott the ice cream shop and/or get it to shut down.

I, myself, don't particularly like rum raisin ice cream. I don't particularly like just vanilla or chocolate, either. But I'm not going to stop getting my mint chocolate chip just because the rum raisin happens to be "best seller" at Acheson's Creamery.

Now I want ice cream. :sad:

• Like 7

So maybe, just maybe, the problem is not with the Kids These Daystm but with the fact that once we get past our 20s, we somehow forget about all the mistakes we and our friends made when we were figuring out how the world worked and where our place was in it.

We dinos sometimes " forget " where we left the keys to the car, let alone something from decades ago.

Also, I sometimes have to remind my legacy Corps friends that havn't been to a show in years to stop complaining about " the shows of today " when they havn't been live to one since every city street corner had a phone booth looking for dimes and quarters.

Edited by BRASSO
  • Like 1