If BD Wins, We Riot!

this

By the way, is everyone missing the irony that Le Sacre du Printemps caused riots and everyone hated it? How did that work out historically? Just back from Paris and Rome where the museums are stuffed with art that was hated when it was debuted. BD may see their mission as to create art, not to please the crowds. Historically, that has not been a bad attitude to take. Whose responsibility is it to "get it"? The people who create masterpieces or those who view them?

I also think that the fact that I got a "negative" within seconds of posting this sums up the forward thinking open minds of some people here.

Edited by dapperpoet
  • Like 2

I will say that going back and watching '92 on Fan Network just now gave me a tingle, but in some regards it rekindled my frustration. The Blue Devils were a corps that brought people to their feet as much or more than any corps in history.

except that drumline was worse than Crown's this year

Heck yeah! Let's throw toilet paper!

Phantom has already done that in their Cesario days when the TP was to mimic the fireworks at the end of 1812 overture.

Should we try tomatoes instead??? But that would be a waste of food and my aim wouldn't probably hit Dave Gibbs but some poor usher.

**Yawn**

So to sum up:

1. Blue Devils get favored treatment from the judges and they're a bunch of cheaters (and were apparently so in San Antonio too)

2. If they only did the same shows they did 20 years ago people would like them a lot more.

3. They're losing sleep because people are cheering for other corps to win instead of them.

This post could have been made every year for the last (fill in the blank) number of years. Maybe they've just figured it out. Oh, and the gap will widen in Indy.

Keep your riots to yourself.

If this is all you got out of reading this thread, You're missing the point.

• Like 1

**Yawn**

So to sum up:

1. Blue Devils get favored treatment from the judges and they're a bunch of cheaters (and were apparently so in San Antonio too)

2. If they only did the same shows they did 20 years ago people would like them a lot more.

3. They're losing sleep because people are cheering for other corps to win instead of them.

1. The first half is a partial maybe and the second half is NO (nobody has accused BD of cheating. Sheesh)

2. Yes

3. Probably not, but according to some they have broken hearts and are deeply troubled by booing.

And if Crown is able to win a couple in a short span, the tide will turn on them quickly. This anti-BD vitriol reminds me of what the Reading Buccaneers when through a few years into The Streak. The "Anyone But Buccaneers" posts were fast and furious, if not quite as nasty (most of the time). It's a good thing DCI has never seen anything like Reading's DCA streak. The DCI forums would become a nuclear meltdown zone.

Absolutely. Comes with the territory, I suppose.

My first year in DCA's Sunrisers... 1977... a lot of folks were happy we beat the Caballeros, the corps that had dominated the 1970s in DCA up to that point.

The next year, when we were the frontrunners and ended up defending our DCA title, some of those same people didn't care for us.

We would hear stuff from people like, "how are you guys beating us???"

Our response was... that's really not our problem to figure out. :tongue:

Edited by Fran Haring
  • Like 1

By the way, is everyone missing the irony that Le Sacre de Printemps caused riots and everyone hated it? How did that work out historically? Just back from Paris and Rome where the museums are stuffed with art that was hated when it was debuted. BD may see their mission as to create art, not to please the crowds. Historically, that has not been a bad attitude to take. Whose responsibility is it to "get it"? The people who create masterpieces or those who view them?

Um....not sure where you're getting your history from, but Rite was not hated at all when it came out. At the end of the premiere night, Stravinsky had to come back out multiple times to keep taking bows because of the response. Yes, people were arguing in the seats, but to say it was hated is not true at all.

Also, let's not get ahead of ourselves calling BD's show a masterpiece. :p it's good for sure, but maybe not masterpiece level

It is very much true that the BD members contribute ideas to the show. Scott Chandler discusses it in one of the very interesting "conversations" they have with the staff on their MediaBox site (those can be viewed free, without membership). He touches briefly on show construction and how some of the staging and movement decisions are made, and there are many things which sprout from watching the members try something, or do something improvisational, which he then notices, asks them to do it again, and it gets modified and perhaps used for a grouping of people, etc.

Anyone who just writes their show off as "boring" or whatever is doing themselves a disservice by not checking out some of those videos before casting judgement. The amount of thought and research of the source material that went into the show development is fantastic. Nothing happens by chance in the program, and much of it is a direct reference to the original ballet choreography and various musical ideas. The title, "re:Rite of Spring" means REGARDING Rite of Spring, as in an exploration of the various ways it has been interpreted in different manners. It's excellent stuff.

That said, I love the show. It is my favorite of the season, but it doesn't make me want to scream my lungs out when it is over either. It is not that sort of production. It would be like screeching BOOOYA!!!! in the middle of a Martha Graham performance of something. Personally, the whole thing is full of so much overwhelming detail, that when it ends, I need a minute to process some of what I just experienced. But then I want to see it again, and again. I could see it 50 times and keep noticing segments that I hadn't seen the previous 49. For me, that is lasting entertainment.

I'm glad not everyone does shows like BD, but I'm even more glad that they DO do them. As long as they continue to perform what they have chosen with nearly unmatched excellence, they deserve to keep winning. When someone else performs their own choice with the same excellence, they will win. That happened a lot for much of the season, and it still could these last few weeks.

here is a key...not everyone wants to, or has the time or desire to go and do all of this research. that's the biggest issue I see happening with DCI programming.....yuou see it with Crown this year too. If you don't essentially do homework, you don't get it. Well, as a paying fan, I shouldn't have to go research it to get it.

Look at Madison this year....you don't need to research it to get it.or Crossmen, or Surf, or SCV. And that disconnect is growing more and more and turning people off.

and worse....sometimes doing the research turns you off even more on the show. I listened to Plan and all of the other BDers break down last year, the year before etc...and I still didn't like it, nor did many others.

So it comes down to what i said before...it's art vs. entertainment. The more it becomes art, the more it's going to affect DCI.....and it has already.

• Like 1

How about a chant: "Boo Gibbs! Boo Gibbs! Boo Gibbs!"

Except people might think you're cheering for a quarterback at an SEC school. :tongue:

• Like 1