If BD Wins, We Riot!

It has to make money to continue the other purposes. 150 or so fewer kids are being served this year without Glassmen on the field. Why are they out? Money.

No one disputes that. That doesn't mean money and ticket sales are the most important and primary focus of drum corps, as Jeff proclaimed. Don't you find it interesting that the corps that everyone here seems to hate so much seems to be the most financially stable corps in the activity? How does that work?

the outcry of inacessible shows really didn't take off until the 90s when wind ensemble literature started beocming more and more prevalent, as well as visual started to dominate the activity. yes youhad some of it before, but not at the levels seen 20 years ago and continuing.

Look, I like a lot of the stuff I see now. But I'm more vested in the activity than many people sitting in the stands. Remember, DCI is targeting kids before us old ####ers.....and when you hear kids making fun of what they see and hear, then youhave issues.

What type of show do you think will attract all the kids? And what exactly are these kids you hear making fun of?

Jasgre, I know maybe you were away for a bit, but are you really going to go back are reply directly to every post you disagree with over the past 10 pages? Because most of the things you are arguing against (and your responses to them) are the same thing over and over again, and in many cases, have been covered, and moved on from....

Honestly curious :lookaround:

Absolutely agree 100%. I'll take it a step further...if you had Devils and Cadets trade programs, Devils would still be the ones getting booed (assuming they were up). Cadets wouldn't catch the grief Devils have.

Until Cadets win a couple times in a short period, and then it all starts over again...

Heh, I'm not crazy of the Cadets show; too much mashup/montage ( a variation of the chop-n-bop) for my tastes, which seems to be what the judges wants. It seems the corps tend to copy the design trends of recent champions when they design their future shows...

Frankly, I wouldn't boo a corps, even the BD. I would, however, avoid a show that they attend if they were the main act, or rethink going to shows if more and more shows were designed in a manner that is unappealing to me. Wait, those things have happened...

Seems to me, the Blue Devil member's experience would be enriched if their hard work was met with raucous, standing ovations. As incredible as they are, the members are being short-changed.

Then stand and applaud them. They have an amazing show that is certainly worthy of it.

They did listen to the survey results about finals livestreaming, at least.

yes they did.

I think the point is that you don't know why they were sitting on their hands. Here are a few possibilities out of an endless sea of them with some being more likely than others, but all equally disprovable by you.

1. They dislike the show because of the show itself

2. They dislike Blue Devils because they are beating their favorite corps

3. They are the parents of a Cadets member and are mad that BD beat Cadets

4. Their friend next to them said that BD sucked and they don't want to look lame in front of their friend

5. They enjoyed it but don't have the personality to jump up and scream

6. Dave Gibbs punched their mother in the face once at a college party and now they hate BD because of it

7. The Troopers paid them 1000 dollars cash to not cheer for them because they got a better show site with hot water than they did

8. They are tired of BD winning and want ANY other corps to win

9. They don't understand the activity as well as you and think that Jersey Surf should be in first place because they like the comedy

10. They are sitting in an area of Crown honks and they all boo'd BD and they didn't want to cheer and clap for risk of being embarrassed or confronted

There are literally endless options that YOU CAN'T PROVE without knowing what every single person is thinking. All of these are possible reasons (some more than others obviously) and all are different and it for sure doesn't prove that the show is boring to everyone or the vast majority like you all seem to trumpet.

Why can't you just accept that you don't like the show for whatever reason and leave it at that? Why do you try and force on other people that the judges are scoring it wrong or there is some personal vendetta against the fans by Gibbs and the design team. God, it is like listening to a bunch of little kids ##### and moan when their mom gives them a sandwich without the crusts cut off.

I'll choose #6

:tongue:/>

I just finished watching some video of this year's BD show, and all I can say is, "Wow"; and, "Wow".

The first "wow" is for BD. That is one amazing show! DCI might want to police the Youtube videos with a light hand--having seen that video, I might actually consider trying to make it out to a show, if I could see that live. It's been a busy summer, and I wasn't planning on doing anything DCI related, but I might be moved to change my mind for stuff like this. I know Crown has a killer hornline this year, too, but come on--these cats are killing it!

The second "wow" is for all of the negative discussion I've seen on these boards regarding this show. For all of you that have been criticising them this season--this is it? This is the show that's ruining DCI? This is the show that I've seen referred to here over and over as "disjointed" and "disconnected"? I'm not sure what I was expecting to see, based on these comments (complete atonality and visual chaos, probably--it was made out to be just that), but it wasn't this. There is, in fact, a little shard of (ready for it?) MELODY that ties the whole thing together!

I am honestly surprised that a show so rich with artistry is being so poorly received by this community. I would guess that the vast majority of us that post here were/are involved in the performing arts on some level. If this is the show that puts it out of reach for you, if this is the one that's so out-there and over your head that you just can't take it any more, then I have a suggestion, if I may be so bold. Go get your your iPod, mp3 player, phone, computer, whatever it is you listen to music on, and WIPE IT CLEAN. You need to hear some new sounds. I would suggest getting a couple albums by the Thad Jones/Mel Lewis Orchestra. This will acclimate your ears to chords that have more than 3 notes in them. Nothing in the Devils show is much more advanced than what is on those records, and those are sounds that have been around since the 1960's. Pre-DCI. Pre-Blue Devils.

I have not generally been a big fan of BD lately. I think some of the criticism they have been receiving lately, regarding show design, has been deserved. This show, however, in my humble opinion, they hit this one out of the park. People who want the "old BD" back, I think you get some of that here. Of course, the show I'm reminded of is 1991--others that are clamouring for the old probably were hoping for 1992.

• Like 6

Jeff Ream, on 30 July 2013 - 03:22 PM, said: " But I'm more vested in the activity than many people sitting in the stands."

hmmmm......inquiring minds want to know, how's that?????

I'm also amused by the other main argument - "you can't know" why people don't applaud. Why, it could be any of a number of reasons. Uhh. No. It's not that complicated. People don't like the show. And.....that's pretty much it.

now come on, this has been debated for four years now. it's all jealousy...ask BD fans. they'll tell you

:tongue:/>

I know Allentown will get labeled as a Cadets home crowd this year, like every year. And yes, the Borg will be out in force....but it's not that biased as people claim, as I've seen and heard Cadets roundly mocked there ( 06 and 08 anyone?).

Hell, I've seen people throw burning babies at BD there in the past, last time being 06...and to be honest, it wasn't because Allentown used to have a mafia presence. Well, not Italian, maybe hispanic or polish.

it was because people liked the show.